IEM for under Rs 7,000 (Re262?

~NEO~

Hi Guys! :)

Please help me with this query - I was looking for IEMs to replace my Klipsch S4. Budget is upto Rs 7,000.

I'm somewhat intent upon RE262 :eek:hyeah: after reading reviews and comparisons, but I am not sure where to purchase them from. I live in Delhi NCR and Nehru Place isn't of much use.

However, there is this link online: Headdirect RE262 In Ear [ IEM ] Earphones + Amplifier Bundles ? Lynx - The Audio , Electronics And Computer Online Shopping Store In India

What do you feel about his deal / about Lynx India in general? What do you think of my choice of RE262?

Any help will be appreciated. :eek:

Good day!

Neo, Lynx india has pretty poor feedback on many of our forums. Just google it and you will across many such threads.
However, my personal experience( I have bought one IEM from Amarbir) was good. Communication was ok ( except that Amarbir paaji insists on capitalising the first letter of each word, making it difficult to read him PMs :) ) and delivery was on time.
So do your homework and take a call.
Have you read up:

Multi-IEM Review - 207 IEMs compared (Fischer Audio Ceramique & SBA-03 added 12/05/11)

And our in house iem guru's blog:

DOPE: Diary of a Portable Enthusiast

Hey iaudo!

Well then I may have to proceed a bit carefully about Lynx.. hmm. I have sent them a few questions asking about additional costs and time they will take to deliver, maybe i should be certain if they are brand new as well :s After all it is a little difficult to imagine brand new Re262 so cheap as Rs 6,600!

Yes! I did read up on Joker's exhaustive research and comparisons, and it is as per his chart at the end that I decided upon HiFiMan Re262 since they seem the best bang for under 7,000 bucks. However sound signature also comes into play and I'm admittedly clueless there for now.

DOPE is interesting stuff and I'm checking it out already!

Thanks for the reply dude!

Also - considering that I am NOT going to be investing in amps or another IEM for another year, would it be wiser to expand my budget a lil bit now and get DBA-02 for Rs 7,840? damn.. the cost makes me jittery though..?

Neo, You are welcome, glad to help.

As for sound signature, what kinda sound signature are you looking for? What do you listen to most? What player/ pmp do you use?
You could look at the Sony mdr ex600 for that kind of money, unless you want a very analytical signature and strictly a BA.

Dude I'm not an audiophile or have very specific music tastes, yeah - NIN is my God and I like to experiment with off the beat artists though I will listen to pop music too. Some orchestral and rap at times. I was quite happy with my Klipsch S4 the bass and clarity were sweet but that's also 'cuz I had only used regular Ipod earphones before (what a waste! I know), but at high volume they would pierce my ears (I sometimes like listening at high volume to cut external noise so I can focus on my writing at a cafe or whatever), and I wanted to upgrade since they broke. I think I would care about clarity a lil more than base. I am not a big vocals fan though - more instrumental. Really, I don't think that I will be difficult to satisfy at this point.

PMP: Nothing music dedicated - only my Ipad 2, and Samsung Galaxy S phone.

Budget around Rs 7,500

You know Indian stores don't keep fancy earphones, so which other online source beside Lynx would you recommend? I'd like to look around a bit for more options too.

Better deal for EX-600, even after including shipping - Sony MDR-EX600

Also, if you ask Joker himself, he would tell you that there are plenty of 'bang for the buck' IEMs available under $150. VSonic GR07, RE262, Sony EX-600, JVC FXT90, Fischer Tandem, Fischer SBA-03 - are just some of the choices that come to my mind. If I did not have a selfish thought of closing the deal myself, I'd have linked you to Final Audio Design Heaven "A" selling at about $150 in head-fi (you'll find it anyways). According to St. James444, they are equivalent to e-Q5 in performance. It would be a nice deal at $170 odd shipped except build quality won't match Ortofon's e-Q5 at $250 new.

Even TF10 from the $95 deal at Amazon should be available for $130 or so on eBay. Lot of choices there. Everything comes down to signature preference. I'd start from there - Is RE262 closely matched with your own preferences?

Last edited:
Neo, esanthosh has listed a few good choices in your price bracket. Try buying it off head-fi. Else mp4 nation ships to India, it might take a bit of time though. As far as Indian online sites go, pristinenote on ebay has very good feedback.
I think the JVC FXT 90 might do the trick for you, or as I suggested earlier ex600.
Indian options are too few, better try to get it from overseas.

Alright guys, after your suggestions, I read up more on EX600 - they are getting lot of props over RE262 (which have their own benefits, yeah I get it) and am set toward them now. The word 'analytical' scares me off 'cuz I am not yet an audiophile and would need to grow into that sort of taste . As I said, I'm a noob who had previously thought he had hit gold with his Klipsch S4s! So I need a lil punch for now (not a bass head) and I dunno.. 'fun' factor even if detail has to be sacrificed a lil bit.

Just to be certain - I won't 'need' an amp to make her squeal right already would I? Don't plan on spending over 7 grad on IEMs and stuff for next several months. If I need amps, then can it be worked in budget? Maybe I upgrade by buying an amp in some months, then next IEMs in a year..

Thanks for all the help u guys! seriously.. I think I may be making a much better choice for your advice.. EX600 are getting lot of props..

However, 'guarantee / warranty' issue with second hand electronics bother me. These aren't cheap for me after all. So I'll investigate the deals further.. BUt thanks once again! :)

PS - Fischer DBA-02 under Rs 8,000? Nah?

If you ask me, I'd point to the IEM guru once again (not to mention, I have exactly the same order and my upgrades are following it to the "T")

I am also of the belief that audio differences between different players take a back seat in the audio chain, the chain being (in order of importance): Headphones > Source Material > Source > Amplification >>> Cabling.

In the last two years, I spent a larger sum of money to search for a perfect combo of IEMs. Then, earlier this ear, I turned my attention towards better sources compared to Clip+, S9, iPod Touch, Sony E353 I had. Now that I know that I am satisfied with QA350 + UHA-6S, I've spent on my costliest cable to connect them.

If we are talking headphones, then we need to budget for a headphone + suitable amp together. But, we are not going there yet. Most IEMs irrespective of what people make you believe do not need an amp. I can even drive RE262 out of Clip+ and be done with it. There are a few exceptions like RE0 and RE1 which do better with an amp than without. On the other hand, RE262, PFE and few others improve in varying degrees with amplification. The most important thing in portable audiophilia is to find a decent (or most likely a decent bunch of) IEM(s) that truly satisfy you. If you need an amp, start with something like a FiiO E6 for the time being. You can start looking at upgrading components other than IEMs as and when needed.

Why do I think this approach makes sense? No matter what forums would make you believe, there is no single best IEM that suits everyone. Considering that most top-tier IEMs have a similar level of performance, you need to carefully choose the signature you want. Sometimes, this requires heavy experimentation and buying lot of IEMs like I did. Some people like rallynut are lucky to hit a jackpot with their first $100 IEMs (DDM-1). The most important part in the equation is YOU, which is easily forgotten. So, once you find something nice sounding that will keep you satisfied at least for the next 2-3 years, you can start looking at other upgrades. For some like me, a neutral source (even a slight tilt towards brightness) might suit, while few would love the HM-601. Since there's no shortage of variety in signature and sizes, you can come around to it later depending on your requirements.

Long rant over... now back to your questions...

EX-600 Deal: I can trust ljokerl with eyes closed as I've bought new IEMs and sent it to him for review (EX-1000, MG7). Since he is a little OCD about maintaining gear like I am, may be worse, I won't worry about the condition even if it spent a couple of months with him - it will be still pristine. Considering only Inks has only used for another week, the condition should be good. These were available for $150, then $130, so $105 for an almost new item is very attractive. Of course, do make sure EX-600 is for you.

As you say claiming warranty in case of any problems is an issue. That is a little risk you take for not restricting yourself to within the handful of locally available brands and models.

Yes! I forgot about DBA-02 and/or Brainwavz B2 :eek:. But RE262 and B2 are so far apart in terms of approach. I still don't get what kind of signature you are looking for.

Last edited:
Firstly thanks for the tonne of helpfully organised info you've sent across dude! Im a bit clearer now and u answered a few questions I would've had. I'm still clueless about that very important 'sound signature' 'cuz I have only just tried ordinary crappy in ears beside Klipsch S4 which I loved way back when. I'll get a better idea once I have tried a few IEMs, but for now I feel I'd do with clarity, warmth, and don't need too much base. Just disliked the sibilance in the S4s for several songs at moderately high levels.

From your's and Jokers's reviews I gather that the DBA-02 are the last value for money earphones for the non-hardcore audiophiles. Beyond that you need to be seriously mad for IEMs and be willing with the cash flow. And DBA 02 does sound like it could suit my requirements and I think I'm getting it at a decent price at Rs 8,000 (but God damn I wish I could get a better deal). RE262, it seems would be too dry for me at the moment ( can't be certain with only reviews, will need experimentation).

BUT!! if warranty for them doesn't cover India anyhow then it's kinda pointless of to be anal about getting new ones only! Might as well take recommendations and buy second hand and save money.. Any clue about this warranty business? I'll have to question Lynx India further, or I might just look for deals abroad as well. (Just scared cuz I ended up spoiling my S4 eventually by having stupidly pulled them off the socket too often, didn't know better)

Anyway, I would like to try some other earphones in about 4-5 months and sell these off in half a year for more preferable sound signature I find via experimentation. Let me hear these and the next upgrade will be FiiO E6.

I'm very excited about these 'cuz I'm certain a good pair of IEMs is a worthy investment, it's something I'll really value.. Something worth saving for. But I'm sick to the stomach with excitement and nervousness about not understanding stuff concerning IEMs and endless research since a week.. :s

Once again, thanks for the rant and taking the time to help dude!

Let's be safe then. I will list the IEMs and do what they do best, I'll also try to keep it simple without long winded audiophile descriptions. Hope that should help!

a) Fischer DBA-02 / B2:

Build quality - decent. Don't wear when sweaty as sweat could enter the housing.

Why Buy - If you want all the tiny nuances in the tracks to hit you like a hurricane. To admire at it's speed and linear treble presentation. Will show you what better separation can do even within the limits of constrained sound stage. Mids are sweet sounding.

Turn-offs - Treble can be aggressive. Cymbals would crash your head. Sibilance won't be an issue as it's pretty quick to move to the next note. Bass light.

b) Hifiman RE262:

Build quality - decent. If bought from Head-direct, would be balanced and require an adapter to use it with regular players. Considering my experience with RE272, it's not a huge issue. Hifiman is notorious for failures, but I've used RE0 for very long without it breaking. So, use it carefully. Lynx might carry the edition that is free with HM-602 players i.e., the unbalanced version which can be directly used with players. Ask before buying.

Why Buy - Mids! Vocal centric. If most of your music revolves around vocals, this is the IEM to get. It's technically far superior and also immensely colored - as in it pushes the vocalist up front above instruments (FX700 is exact reverse). It's not exactly suited for fast paced music, more for very relaxed listening. But, it's sound stage is large.

Turn-offs - Bass and treble. Bass is better than RE252 and RE272, but it's still not going to punch the life out of Electronica. Despite the "layering", sometimes it puts one sound exactly behind the other (with Clip+) creating a little congestion. While you can use it with Clip+, it will drain the battery in half the time (5 vs 10) or J3 (10 vs 30-40). So, you may be forced to use an amp with it. Give it more power and it should sing a little better!

c) VSonic GR07:

Build quality - Good. Accessories are good too. One of the most comfortable In-ears I have used.

Why Buy - Bass is excellent. As far as 'balanced' ear phones go, this could be a solid reference. That and the texture in the mids that lends an authority to the vocals. Sound stage is good, but not great.

Turn-offs - Treble and Sibilance. Treble is not hiding behind as in case of RE262 nor is it aggressive like DBA-02. But, it has a slight bump in the lower treble which creates a little unwanted aggression. It does not help that the bump enhances sibilance. So, Opeth will always sound more sibilant than it is. Even if you do the burn-in for the recommended 932 hours, it will still be slightly sibilant. One of the main reasons for giving away.

d) JVC FXT90:

Build quality - Decent. Has the 'punchhk' sound when inserting into the ear also known as driver flex. Flex is not considered cool in head-fi circle, but it's effect on the driver life are still open to debate.

Why Buy - Better presence all across. Does not have great bass quantity or greatest sparkling treble, but has enough of everything. I can't say it lacks anything, but may be "not as much" as better IEMs. Good mids, good coloration, good bass + mids + treble - none of them show up as much unless the recording calls for it. Vocals are not as forward as RE262, but enough to make you appreciate them.

Turn-offs - Not as good as FX700, slightly below GR07 on technical terms. Due to it's low impedance, sources with high output impedance (in my case, Sony E353, Hifiman HM-601 etc.,) are not known to gel with it. Oh! It will still play the same music, but it will increase certain frequencies and decrease others resulting in a sub-optimal presentation. It is for example, brighter out of E353.

Now to the unknowns.........

EX-600 : Based on EX-1000, I'd say - large sound stage, slightly distant presentation. Imagine standing in the center of a rounded concert hall with people performing in an inverted-U in front of you. That's the feeling I get with EX-1000. Of course, EX1K is more refined from what I've read, so EX-600 would technically be on par with GR07. Bass quantity won't be huge, but it will show you all the details. Treble is again not forward or recessed, but nice. Mids would have sweeter presentation. They may not be 'love at first listen', but will grow over time (FXT90 would be in the same category).

Fischer Tandem: Cheaper cousin of RE262? May be. I am sure they sound very different, but in terms of mid centric presentation, this could be close. Bass should be a little better. Sound stage a little smaller, but overall, similar to RE262 on paper. Good build quality from what I hear.

Last edited:
Dude,

I hunkered down with a mini snack to carefully scan your message. Lot of gyan that answered a couple of questions I didn't even know I had. Certainly I need to experiment in the future but since I need to get started somewhere, based on what you said I'm going to go with the EX 600 deal you suggested. I have PMed Inks and referenced you for suggesting him to me (he seems to have good ratings). FXT 90 also available for decent price but he impedance risk in my first expensive IEM purchase isn't appealing. I'm not majorly into vocals and definitely not female vocals, and music I listen to is often a bit fast paced so RE 262 loses a bit, based on all this EX 600 sounds more up my alley..

While you are at it, ask Inks about the upper mid / treble with EX-600. Since I've not personally used it, I am not sure how it is. It may be down to two factors - fit (which includes fit, seal, tips) and source.

I find that while EX-1000 has certain emphasis, unlike other IEMs, the emphasis does not show through at all. What if the emphasis shows through, you ask? It would make the sound a little harsher / brighter. mukulymn feels that way with his E7-E9 combo. I do not feel that with any of the combos I've used thus far. Sensitivity also matters I guess, but I can't stand too much of 5-6Khz bump (as is the case with MEE M6 and certain other phones). I hear EX-600 is not as smoothed out, but in this hobby, it is very difficult to get the specifics as someone's "little" is easily somebody else's "can't bear" - as each of us have different sensitivities to different frequencies and with in ears, it's all the more important.

Inks knows what he is talking about, so feel free to ask him all the doubts before closing the deal.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back