If the AVR is 7.1 and does not have hdmi in

Donivlapog

Will the internal inbuilt decoder upmix the source signal from optical in passed through from TV to all 7 channels? As they say an optical can't upmix to more than 5 channels, but the legacy AV receiver has 7.1 capacity.

Last edited:
Just like mine. Welcome to my AVR Denon 3803 bought in 2004. Made in Japan and bought used then for Rs 50,000/ from a very close friend.

Best purchase I have made in my AV journey. Works even today by the grace of God. No HDMI.

I use an Oppo 103d and use analogue cables for 5.1. Since processing and amplifier are separate heat and delicacy (read HDMI) are separate no service issues. You will of course get upto DTS HD MASTER AUDIO but that is better than a fried HDMI board!

Just like mine. Welcome to my AVR Denon 3803 bought in 2004. Made in Japan and bought used then for Rs 50,000/ from a very close friend.

Best purchase I have made in my AV journey. Works even today by the grace of God. No HDMI.

I use an Oppo 103d and use analogue cables for 5.1. Since processing and amplifier are separate heat and delicacy (read HDMI) are separate no service issues. You will of course get upto DTS HD MASTER AUDIO but that is better than a fried HDMI board!
Great to know about your vintage classic AVR. I bought mine just a couple days ago. 7.1 chanel, second hand, mid range product.
It has been given to general servicing where by switches that are not working will be changed and serviced. My question is if instead of just using 5.1, as optical supports upto 5.1, since it is inbuilt 7.1 capability, would it make sense to add two heights speakers?

Great to know about your vintage classic AVR. I bought mine just a couple days ago. 7.1 chanel, second hand, mid range product.
It has been given to general servicing where by switches that are not working will be changed and serviced. My question is if instead of just using 5.1, as optical supports upto 5.1, since it is inbuilt 7.1 capability, would it make sense to add two heights speakers?
You won't be able to add height speakers as the AVR won't have Atmos decoding. You would have to use analog inputs if you want to use all 7 channels. Surround back is what you will be able to add.

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Red Mahogany finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back