iFi-Audio iDAC - My impressions

It's a pity we're not in the same city otherwise we could bring iDAC and iCAN together for a test. I'd like to try your 'phones too!

I usually visit Madras often since my in-laws are there but they're in London (ironical?) for the next few months. If you're ever in Bangalore, you're welcome to come over.

Can you please PM email, phone contact details cause I am interested in the IFI iphono.

Sure thing. Will send an email introducing you to Prabhu.

I doubt that I'll be in Bangalore, despite the great collection of members with great equipment there, but let me know when you do next come here, and bring that iDAC along. The weather will be better in a few months too!

I wanted to buy idac nano, mailed them, got a call but not heard back for a long time. The new dac+amp announced on head-fi is also very interesting.

I don't know if the iCAN is turning me into a bass-head! I have come to really like the three-dot Xbass-switch position --- and the three-dot 3D, which matches it with enhanced treble.

I spent quite some time at RoC's place listening to the new digital setup and it definitely surpassed his already impressive analog rig. The detail retrieval on the AMR is astounding and it's also got very good dynamism. The sound signature is neutral which is also an attribute of the ifi. The AMR has all the goodness of tubes without any of the usual drawbacks. Obviously, the bigger and 10x more expensive DAC was better but the little ifi continues to mightily impress with what it offers for such an affordable price.

Here is an image to compare the big daddy AMR (second from bottom) to the little brother ifi! You could possibly fit 24 of the ifis into the chassis of the 777! :lol:

Attachments

• Comparo.jpg
    Comparo.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 226
768 Khz? DSD512?

:rolleyes:

We don't have enough content for DSD128 and here we are, on 512 already.
A DSD128 4 min track weighs 215 MB so DSD512 (octa speed?) should be 860 MB.

860 MB for one track. :lol:

The only real news there is that iPurifier tech is now built in.

Considering that these devices are primarily meant to be portable, I really can't see how portable users are going to be lugging around the kind of storage needed for enough tracks of "Octa DSD" for say, a 10 hour trip. And refreshing the storage with new tunes? That'll probably an overnight exercise.

Nick, I placed an order for the Micro iDac today. Should receive it in a day or two since it's coming from Kochi. I'm not convinced it will be sufficient for my 650s but funds don't allow for the iCan yet. Will wait and upgrade over time.
I'm about to order a micro idsd. How much was your idac BTW?

G0bble

768 Khz? DSD512?

:rolleyes:

We don't have enough content for DSD128 and here we are, on 512 already.
A DSD128 4 min track weighs 215 MB so DSD512 (octa speed?) should be 860 MB.

860 MB for one track. :lol:

Santosh, it is for people who like to think ahead....you might be happy with 64 bit DSD but what will you do when they release Pink Floyd's DSOTM in 2 years in DSD 256 bit and then again after 4 years in 512 bit DSD? It would be a family heirloom which your children could enjoy while listening to Justin Beiber's greatest hits in DSD 512 bit in another 10 years time....

Many years ago CD came as the ultimate. Then we had hi-res. Now DSD with it's ever growing resolution. Who knows, 512 may be the norm a few years down the road!
Santosh, it is for people who like to think ahead....you might be happy with 64 bit DSD but what will you do when they release Pink Floyd's DSOTM in 2 years in DSD 256 bit and then again after 4 years in 512 bit DSD? It would be a family heirloom which your children could enjoy while listening to Justin Beiber's greatest hits in DSD 512 bit in another 10 years time....

its all gamble out there..there is no perfection...even for humans...thats why upgrade bug bites every audiophile..
those who are contained..and emotionally attached to music are the blessed ones..proof is there in attached image...

Last edited:
Never mind the iDAC: people can now go for the iDSD with this ridiculous audiophoolery

I've been trying to stick with it, but I think ifi just lost my respect.

Maybe thinking about it this way might help leave the cynicsm behind -

1. iFi contracted BurrBrown to develop a a new DAC chip for them.
  2. BB came up with a design and chip implementation that was on paper mathematically proven to playback (upscale, upsample, process whatever) Octa-DSD512/PC768kHz/2xDXD without introducing artefacts.
  3. Besides the design and implementation of the DAC chip itself, the design, integration and implementation with the rest of the device (clock, psu filters, input output circuitry etc) will utilmately determine if digital artefacts still seep into the output of the DAC. Thus a higher end implementation of the same DAC chip will result in better SQ than a buget one.

Now if the feature exists, why not market it?

G0bble

Last edited:
Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back