IFI iDSD Nano Dac Thru Wadia 151

ajitelsy

Hi All,
Please excuse me for any errors but I am just making my way hope youll like the info.
The Wadia 151 puts out only 96/24 thru USB and I wanted to try my high res files so I connected my IFI idsd dac from digital out to coaxial 1 in the Wadia 151.The Source was my laptop using Jriver 19 and started with
CROSBY STILLS & NASH DAYLIGHT AGAIN (HD TRACKS 192/24 BIT)
Tracks played were
1)Turn your back on love
2)Wasted on the way
3)Southern Cross
4)Into the darkness
Well the reproduction thru the Focal 806V was superb with a cleaness that I have not experienced before separation was also great mids and lows were very much there as though I was discovering something new.
Next went on to
Sheryl Crow FEELS LIKE HOME (HD TRACKS 48/24 BIT)
Tracks played were
1)Shotgun
2)Easy
3)Give it to me
The Vocals were out of this world the feeling in her voice hits you in the insides and makes you want to hear more.I forgot to mention I like my music a bit on the loud side so I had to take the Wadia to one noch more than half the volume.
Next was
Pink Floyd (44.1/16 bit)
Tracks Played were
1)Hey You
2)Is there anyboby out there
3)Nobody home
Well it was real good the Focals are great and will want a little high powered amp later on to take them further.
The last was
The Electric Joe Satriani An Anthology by Joe Satriani. 44.1/16 bit
Tracks Played were
1Surfing with the alien
2) Crush of love
As those of you who have heard him it is an experience his guitar work is really wonderful and was put thru the Wadia and the Focals with aplomb.
What was a disappointment was that I could not play my DSD and double DSD files I could convert it in jriver to PCM and play it but it looses its charm.
Still waiting for my stands.
Thanks for Reading.Cheers
View attachment 15594

View attachment 15596

Last edited:
192/24 will sound noticeably worse than 96/24 on 99.99% of dacs. Great if your experience was the opposite.

Even the very best DAC chips known to man has a dynamic range of 130dB or thereabouts. After power supply noise etc, this figure drops to 120-125dB.

This means every 24 bit dac can really produce only 20 bits of real resolution. Rest of the bits are drowned in the DAC's noise floor.

Last edited:
try to plug the wadia directly into a plug point ( i see an extension board )..

mpw

192/24 will sound noticeably worse than 96/24 on 99.99% of dacs. Great if your experience was the opposite.

Even the very best DAC chips known to man has a dynamic range of 130dB or thereabouts. After power supply noise etc, this figure drops to 120-125dB.

This means every 24 bit dac can really produce only 20 bits of real resolution. Rest of the bits are drowned in the DAC's noise floor.

I've heard this before, but sounds worse? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

I've heard this before, but sounds worse? Can you elaborate?

Thanks

Should have put a disclaimer - this is true for delta sigma or hybrid delta sigma dacs. The higher the sampling frequency, the more noise in the output and more the ringing in the filters post the analog conversion. There's a super long thread on stevehoffman forums and another one at AA.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back