Ifi iphono - Speaker hum

s_sachin

Hello friends

I am getting speaker hum which varies in intensity and it seems to be prominent when I plug in the Ifi iphono phono stage.

This device has a 2 pin power adapter cable and I am wondering if that could be the reason.
its a 9V/1A power adapter, any possibility of finding a 3 pin replacement ?

Also any other suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Sachin

Hello friends

I am getting speaker hum which varies in intensity and it seems to be prominent when I plug in the Ifi iphono phono stage.

This device has a 2 pin power adapter cable and I am wondering if that could be the reason.
its a 9V/1A power adapter, any possibility of finding a 3 pin replacement ?

Also any other suggestions are welcome.

thanks
Sachin
Hi,

Have you tried using any other phonostage? Check if you have same problem or not.

Does hum comes from both channel or just one?

Try using different cartridge as well. I had hum from one channel due to faulty cartridge.

Regards,
Nishant

Sent from my MotoG3-TE using Tapatalk

iPhono has a ground lead with a small tail wire to be connected to ground wire coming from TT. Hope you've connected it.

can you try to move the Phono around and also changing the angle and see if the Hum changes ? Phono Hum could be due to so many reasons but i have suffered most due to RFI ..even a tubelights choke can cause it.

if you touch it and there is a change in the sound then it is grounding.

Thanks everyone..

Actually this is closest to my problem and the solution seems easy enough to try.

See if this helps (from ifi website).
AMR & iFi-Audio :: Support Ticket System

My turntable does not have a ground cable that can be connected to the iPhono ground attachment, maybe there is still some way to still achieve this ?

Yes I get hum from both speakers. Sometimes moving the tonearm gives more hum, and yes moving the phono also has the same effect.

I do have another phono which I will try.

Thanks everyone..

Actually this is closest to my problem and the solution seems easy enough to try.

My turntable does not have a ground cable that can be connected to the iPhono ground attachment, maybe there is still some way to still achieve this ?

Yes I get hum from both speakers. Sometimes moving the tonearm gives more hum, and yes moving the phono also has the same effect.

I do have another phono which I will try.

there is definitely a component of RFI in this..is there a fridge/TV or any device with a motor near the phono ?
try this..connect the case of your phono to your amps case with a wire and see the effect.

just a few trial and error options.

Do read up on Ground loops causing Hum as well

for RFI/EMI try of an aluminium foil wrapping reduces it in anyway

Which is the tonearm on your TT? The stock Lenco arm, or some other?
Either way, there should be some sort of earthing post at the base of the arm where the wiring for the two RCA cables emerge. You need to solder a simple electric cable wire to this post, long enough to attach to the iFi Phono earthing cable. Until you do this, there is no point looking for other solutions.

there is definitely a component of RFI in this..is there a fridge/TV or any device with a motor near the phono ?
try this..connect the case of your phono to your amps case with a wire and see the effect.

just a few trial and error options.

Do read up on Ground loops causing Hum as well

for RFI/EMI try of an aluminium foil wrapping reduces it in anyway

The only thing which is close is a tata sky STB which is always on. Will switch off and see if any difference.

Which is the tonearm on your TT? The stock Lenco arm, or some other?
Either way, there should be some sort of earthing post at the base of the arm where the wiring for the two RCA cables emerge. You need to solder a simple electric cable wire to this post, long enough to attach to the iFi Phono earthing cable. Until you do this, there is no point looking for other solutions.

Thanks ! Makes sense ..Its a custom tonearm... will try to get this done.

Thanks ! Makes sense ..Its a custom tonearm... will try to get this done.

Before getting down to doing the soldering, make sure that you remove the head shell from the arm. If you have a fixed head shell, then remove the four cartridge clips. You would not want the heat of the soldering iron to fry your cartridge.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back