iMac 24", how is it as an htpc

anm

The iMac is highly addictive. I have bought, sold and finally given up on all other computers. At home I don't have the slightest urge to ever use a laptop or tablet again. The experience of using a high resolution iMac is in a different league. I sold my Dell laptop at throwaway prices as I never ever want to use a Windows PC again. I find the processor of my iPad 1 too slow. It has become the exclusive property of my daughter who uses it for watching You Tube videos.

An iMac is expensive. I suggest you should primarily view it as an investment in a great desktop computer. The new 21.5" model is available at a negotiable price of 58-59K. I feel it would be a better buy than the old 24" for 54K. I have not compared the specs of both but I presume the later model will be better.

The sound quality of an iMac is pretty good but definitely not audiophile grade by any means. I have no idea whether the sound card of an iMac can be replaced with a better one or not. A good DAC would be essential! My iMac is connected to a Cyrus 6VS2 amp and small Onkyo bookshelf's. Decent sound for viewing You Tube videos and DVD's. Recently I removed the iMac from the chain and heard a few CD's played on Esoteric SA10+Cyrus 6VS2+Onkyo bookshelf's. I was completely blown by the difference which the Esoteric as a source made to the sound. I played orchestral music by Bela Bartok which would be a tough call on much bigger systems. Backed by a good recording and a good source the 40 WPC Cyrus amp and Onkyo bookshelf's performed far above their modest price tag!

that esoteric must be something. I wish I can buy at that price point in India :)
or maybe someone can carry it for me.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back