IMP - Language Adherence

I personally feel that apart from the redundancy issues, the forum is running quite well.

If we start policing the forum too much, it'll lose its nice, homey feel. I find that most people here are decent. If anyone does step out of line, he/she is gently nudged back into place. It is very rare that someone has had to be rapped on the knuckles too hard.... very rare indeed.

But, that's just the way I feel about it and could be completely wrong.

Very well said.

The non-conformists, the independent thinkers, the people with original ideas - these are usually people who want to be part of a vibrant democracy and not pigs on an animal farm.

All that I'm reminded of - We don't need no education, we don't need no thought control:) - Another brick in the WALL:eek:hyeah:

apart from that- malvai,

the forum stands to lose valuable members - the best of the lot -

why?

simply because the non-conformists, the independent thinkers, the people with original ideas - these are usually people who want to be part of a vibrant democracy and not pigs on an animal farm.

i think we have lost a good member that way - that need not have been.

good forums are self leveling and i must say that this forum has very reasonable and liberally democratic moderators:)

Amen to that!

NEW MODERATOR- Venkatcr

Today I could see Mr.Venkatcr has been positioned as "Moderator":clapping:.

Any formal introduction has been done anywhere, I have missed it?

Regards

Srini

Coming late to this thread, I see :).

I fully agree with some more moderation being required. Of a more active kind too. Not that I have too many issues with the earlier moderators - quite the opposite. But with the forum getting bigger by the day, there is need to project the right sort of image to the world at large if we are to one day become people whom the Hifi magazines and equipment manufacturers look up to.

The Jamo thread was probably HFV at its nadir. Moderation should have happened there sooner. On the flip side though there is always the report button which none of us including yours truly used.

While I am with Captain Rajesh on the subject of being a free spirit, I am a strong believer that free will extends only as long as it does not impinge on another's free will. And in a public forum, one cannot always be themselves in every way. For example if I am the kind of person who tends to insult others when I dont agree with them, I cannot expect to carry this over to this forum. Now insulting could involve harsh and derogatory words and it could also involve other subtle measures. I still think our forum could do without that.

I thought Keith put it very nicely when he said he detected an Indian-ness to this forum. I guess that is probably part of its uniqueness and something which is worth protecting. I am not saying that seniority and juniority should come into the picture but in general terms the general air of bonhomie and respect radiating is a good thing.

Of late we see a lot of senior members and regular contributors take a back seat. That is not good. If at all possible I would suggest the new moderator to have a general grievance thread to see what the issues are with such members. This could go a long way towards strengthening our bond as a community. If not a public thread, I think members could be encouraged to write to the moderators over PMs as to what bothers them.

All in all, I look forward to less of these types of threads and more of what we all love - music and equipment that produce music!

But with the forum getting bigger by the day, there is need to project the right sort of image to the world at large if we are to one day become people whom the Hifi magazines and equipment manufacturers look up to.

good aim vortex. :) if it has to happen then people need to start thinking before posting. i see way too many people posting quite blindly just to make an impression that they know something when in reality they don't have any knowledge. rather they cobble together half-truths and twist them into blanket proclamations. i've even seen people who've been here quite a while and to whom some members look up, do it.

regards

Actually there should be scope for fun too! Maybe in a totally un-moderated section where members can vent out their 'dhil'.

Maybe netiquette could be a consideration in this special forum, maybe not. That could be upto the moderators and the majority members'!

What say everybody?

i see way too many people posting quite blindly just to make an impression that they know something when in reality they don't have any knowledge. rather they cobble together half-truths and twist them into blanket proclamations. i've even seen people who've been here quite a while and to whom some members look up, do it.

If you do not misunderstand me, Stevie, I think your post embodies some of the problem. While what you say is got to be true, because it's an open forum and people have varied level of knowledge and experience and some may post wrong ideas and information; on the other hand, it may also be presumptuous on our part to think that the other guy does not know any thing. Somehow I think that is putting too much confidence on one's own knowledge. After owning and listening to stereo separates for nearly three decades, I hesitate to give advice to people, and whenever I end up doing so, I put qualifiers like: I am not an expert or please check with other people etc. when it comes to use of equipments. Only when it comes to music, I feel more confident. I guess tolerance and honesty are the two greatest virtues. We do not have to be a reference forum for all audiophiles in the world, but as long as we are posting with a bit of honesty, responsibility and joy, and with a bit of respect for the other guy in the forum, we should be alright. Even if I say this, I know I occasionally was also irritated and it was quite apparent, however, we should always keep things within a limit; subjective, I agree. There would always be more knowledgeable people like you whom people like me would look upto regarding turntables for example, and there would be all other kinds of people too who would perhaps make the occasional mistake by writing the wrong post, but that's okay. We all will learn in time and become better.

Regards.

i see way too many people posting quite blindly just to make an impression that they know something when in reality they don't have any knowledge. rather they cobble together half-truths and twist them into blanket proclamations. i've even seen people who've been here quite a while and to whom some members look up, do it.

Steveiboy, as you know there are two aspects to AV. One is subjective about which we cannot do anything. The other is factual - issues such as scientific data, specifications etc. If you come across a posting which mentions these incorrectly, there is no harm in gently chiding the post. You have to absolutely sure, though, of what you are saying and be ready to back it up with data. When such things happen, hopefully, we will step in and ensure the thread maintains decency.

I have straight request to senior members, particularly, you Asit. Never back out and take a back seat. If you feel strongly about something, there is no harm in voicing it. With your command over English, I am sure you can do it in a sophisticated manner without ruffling any feathers. What are we afraid of? When I joined the forum I was chided many times for being too eager to post, collecting data from elsewhere and such. I even discussed with my wife saying I am getting out. She gave me a piece of advice that I will never forget. She said, 'Venkat, I have never seen you so focussed and having so much fun in any other part of your life. Don't give it up. Every where you will face distractors. Just be strong.'

We really have to get over our Indian-ness here. Otherwise, HFV will become like our political arena. All of us are ashamed of what happens in Parliament, but what do we do about it?

Here at least in HFV, we have no axe to grind, no personal grievances, and most important, nothing to lose. I would request all senior members to NOT shy away from any thread they find troublesome and help the forum become a wonderful place for all of us. After all, we are all here of our own accord. Many of us (including me) spend hours here giving and gaining knowledge. Let us not lose control.

HFV is your baby. (I am sure Gobble/Suri will say too many fathers :) ) - but imagine what we can do if all the fathers can work together.

Cheers

Last edited:
This is the first forum in a long time I've across with very like minded progressive GOOD people so I have nothing to add, whatever is best for the community works for me! I'll stick to english from now on.

If you do not misunderstand me, Stevie, I think your post embodies some of the problem. While what you say is got to be true, because it's an open forum and people have varied level of knowledge and experience and some may post wrong ideas and information; on the other hand, it may also be presumptuous on our part to think that the other guy does not know any thing. Somehow I think that is putting too much confidence on one's own knowledge. After owning and listening to stereo separates for nearly three decades, I hesitate to give advice to people, and whenever I end up doing so, I put qualifiers like: I am not an expert or please check with other people etc. when it comes to use of equipments. Only when it comes to music, I feel more confident. I guess tolerance and honesty are the two greatest virtues. We do not have to be a reference forum for all audiophiles in the world, but as long as we are posting with a bit of honesty, responsibility and joy, and with a bit of respect for the other guy in the forum, we should be alright. Even if I say this, I know I occasionally was also irritated and it was quite apparent, however, we should always keep things within a limit; subjective, I agree. There would always be more knowledgeable people like you whom people like me would look upto regarding turntables for example, and there would be all other kinds of people too who would perhaps make the occasional mistake by writing the wrong post, but that's okay. We all will learn in time and become better.

Regards.

hi asit,

the key word i'll pull out from your post and i see audio engr has also used it, the word is 'honesty'. i'm not referring to posts made by people who have limited knowledge and therefore honestly post within that knowledge. that of course is par for the course, nobody can post something that they dont know. and i make the same kind of posts :)

i am talking of people i've seen who deliberately make grandiose overarching statements that unilaterally appear to be gospel truth in order to make it seem like they're in sync with where it's at. (this is the key which just gets my goat) :rolleyes: i have seen blatant boost my public image falsehoods posted in this manner, not the kind of genuine 'this is what i feel' type of subjective posts all of us make.

regards, check pm

Steveiboy, as you know there are two aspects to AV. One is subjective about which we cannot do anything. The other is factual - issues such as scientific data, specifications etc. If you come across a posting which mentions these incorrectly, there is no harm in gently chiding the post.

hi venkat,

most certainly i have done so and in no uncertain terms hehe. this is my forum and i'm damned if somebody's just gonna make some random post on my watch on some topic i know something about :mad: :D have also received many pm's from thankful newbies for giving them hope and clarifying things so i know my ripostes are helping quite a few people! what better way to pass on the help one receives from the forum eh? :)

regards

most certainly i have done so and in no uncertain terms hehe. this is my forum and i'm damned if somebody's just gonna make some random post on my watch on some topic i know something about :mad: :D

Bravo! That is the spirit!

Cheers

Venkat,
Thanks for your encouragement, as always. I treasure it.

Stevie,
Yes, you picked the one most important word out of my previous post: honesty. Please check your PM box, I have replied your PM.

Regards.

I wonder why Asit did not point this out.

But to me honesty allied with a bit of respect towards the other member would be what is desirable.

Sometimes one can be brutally honest. At other times one can be honest while acknowledging the subjectivity involved.

But Stevieboy I am perfectly with you when it comes to the kind of posts you are talking about.

Actually there should be scope for fun too! Maybe in a totally un-moderated section where members can vent out their 'dhil'.

Maybe netiquette could be a consideration in this special forum, maybe not. That could be upto the moderators and the majority members'!

What say everybody?

Great idea I say. That should be only for free spirits like me & Suri and the likes :clapping:

Hi Guys,

When we compare HFV to so many other forums on the net, we all can be very proud that we have been part of a great community.As our young friend Venkatesh has pointed out in one of his posts, the trust level among members here, some who have not even seen each other, is simply amazing.I know members help each other on personal levels too apart from the AV scene. After joining here, only on two occasions i felt very sad about certain happenings and posts.Otherwise its a great journey here along with our wonderful members.

cheers,
sri

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back