Import Duty Bill

I bought a cartage from ebay.com, it got shipped from Japanpost and struck in "KOLKATA AIR FOREIGN RLO BUILDING" for past 3 days.

total cost + shipping was $200, should I just wait?
Usually I have seen that anything coming via japanpost, Singapore post, china post, are handed by India Post after landing, they will pay custom duty on your behalf and ask you to pay the same while delivering,
In my past experience, it take roughly 18-20 days to reach me once item shipped from origin country Singapore in my case....So wait

Can anyone tell me which are good websites from which we can order things from out of India without hassle and with lowest prices?

I got shipment from Japan two days back, they had valued cartridge as 1k japan yen, so there was no custom duty on it.

I want 3 ACs for me and my friend. I was talking something like this link wherein people are importing 10-15 full ACs from China. Can anyone tell what duty will they be paying etc, just for knowledge.

Other than, what else small electronic items can be imported from Japan and from which site? & how to calculate duty etc?

Best would be to get a friend to hand carry it in especially if it is not a large item.

If that's not possible, you can have your friend mark the item as a "sample", though I have seen posts where people indicate that customs asked for an IEC code in some cases for shipments marked as "sample" or "commercial sample". Penalty for wrong declaration can also apply on top of duty, if customs decides it is a mis-declaration.

Some FMs have reported that marking the shipment as a "gift" helps reduce/avoid customs duty.

Definitely do not mark as "used".

Declared cost can be reduced if marked as "sample", but if customs chooses to assess duty, then they use whatever cost they arrive at based on what category they consider your item falls into (especially when they can't figure out what something is).

You can appeal the duty assessment though it could well be a non-productive hassle.

Also as other FMs pointed out customs duty is assessed on the landed cost (price + shipping).

At the end of it all, you may not even pay any duty, depending on the port of entry. It all depends on the customs gods :)

I was charged duty on gift label also as per the price once
Its to the discretion of the customs person
They are knowing all tricks people play

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back