Import Duty Bill

When importing electronic equipments from US will India Post provide bill for the import duty?
I am not sure about India Post, but I remember once I asked DHL and they were able to provide me custom duty paid receipt. So I guess any carrier can produce receipt for that matter...

BR
Ajay

Yes, India Post will provide you a copy for the duty challan. If fact, you've to pick up from them if you're to pay the duty :lol: They asked me to pick up from the PO paying the duty.

Yes, India Post will provide you a copy for the duty challan. If fact, you've to pick up from them if you're to pay the duty :lol: They asked me to pick up from the PO paying the duty.

What item did you import and how much duty they charged you

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When importing electronic equipments from US will India Post provide bill for the import duty?

DHL and FedEx provide indound charges invoice, but I have mixed experience with India Post. Usually they sent an intimation letter mentioning the duty amount and request us to collect the material from the PO by paying the duty amount.

Thanks,
Bibin

I received a demand note/notice from India Post for payment of customs duty on a recent purchase (cycling equipment, not electronic equipment) that came in via EMS Speed Post. I had to give the note/notice back to the Post Office on payment, but I photocopied it before doing so, for my records.

What item did you import and how much duty they charged you

EnvyRao
Mumbai
Linn M109 Aktiv, Linn M-I, Linn M4100, Linn-MLP12, Linn M-DS, Linn Silver IC, CHAKT74-75-76, QNAP212P

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am getting "AKG K7XX Red Edition" from Massdrop. I paid $ 224.99.

They are sending it via DHL global mail. Final delivery will be done by India Post. Not sure how much they will charge for import duty.

Not sure but this might be the calculated duty :

Custom Duty : 10%
Landing Charges : 1%
Countervailing Duty : 12.5%
Cess : 3%
Additional Countervailing Duty : 4%

Import duty & taxes calculation result

That should give you ballpark idea of the possible worst case scenario. (Calculations made with $1 shipping and $1 insurance. Whatever you paid for shipping & insurance would be added to the base figure for calculating Duty).

Couriers in India file a consolidated bill of entry* for several items cleared on a day so they normally do not provide a copy of the bill of entry to individual consignees. However, on prior request, they provide a self-attested photocopy of the consolidated bill of entry.
* The bill of entry is a customs document for assessment of the customs duty on good imported.

Whenever I get custom's charged there will be a slip sticked to the package by customs office mentioning the amount of total custom (no itemization of duties, just a total amount, hand written slip) and there will be a stamp on it, postman deliver the package and collect the amount from me.

Last edited:
Couriers in India file a consolidated bill of entry* for several items cleared on a day so they normally do not provide a copy of the bill of entry to individual consignees. However, on prior request, they provide a self-attested photocopy of the consolidated bill of entry.
* The bill of entry is a customs document for assessment of the customs duty on good imported.

In the case of private courier agencies (FedEx, Aramex etc.) this is indeed how it works. They do usually provide a photocopy of the entire list of items cleared during a single day with the item. I have always collected the "phoren" maal direct from the agency, so I've always got this photocopy. My shopping typically comes in via Aramex (as I use their shopnship address facility), and on occasion, via FedEx.

If my friend ship pre-amp board from USA to India and declare it as used item, with value for 80$ will it work?

the actual cost is 250$

afaik, with my little knowledge, Indian customs calculate duty based on "Item cost + Shipping cost" to avoid someone declaring $1 for item cost and $249 for shipping cost to save duty....

Ohh,

my friend will be shipping it, it would be better for him to declare $250 as cost?

Best would be to get a friend to hand carry it in especially if it is not a large item.

If that's not possible, you can have your friend mark the item as a "sample", though I have seen posts where people indicate that customs asked for an IEC code in some cases for shipments marked as "sample" or "commercial sample". Penalty for wrong declaration can also apply on top of duty, if customs decides it is a mis-declaration.

Some FMs have reported that marking the shipment as a "gift" helps reduce/avoid customs duty.

Definitely do not mark as "used".

Declared cost can be reduced if marked as "sample", but if customs chooses to assess duty, then they use whatever cost they arrive at based on what category they consider your item falls into (especially when they can't figure out what something is).

You can appeal the duty assessment though it could well be a non-productive hassle.

Also as other FMs pointed out customs duty is assessed on the landed cost (price + shipping).

At the end of it all, you may not even pay any duty, depending on the port of entry. It all depends on the customs gods :)

I bought a cartage from ebay.com, it got shipped from Japanpost and struck in "KOLKATA AIR FOREIGN RLO BUILDING" for past 3 days.

total cost + shipping was $200, should I just wait?

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back