Importance of DAC

Even I ordered ODAC (preorder, not sure when it will ship) from JDS Labs. ODAC doesn't have co-axial input. And No Async USB. So it is little bit of a bet as of now, since we don't have many solid reviews.

So to use with CD transport, I need:
Co-axial --> USB.
Of course no such device in market; since most DACs already provide co-axial inputs. And there is no advantage in audio path with this approach.

However, if CD players provide Async USB as transport, it may be quite useful, and methinks it should be a better transport option and make external DACs much more popular.

And how about:
Co-axial --> Async USB ?
Even this should be useful device, isn't it?

vikoma

There should be a way to directly take the digital out from the CD drive. I believe the output is SPDIF but with different voltage levels.

EDIT: Google Maharaj has thrown in some interesting stuff. Any DIY experts who can chip in and make a high quality CD player using a cheap PC CDROM drive?

Digital out from CD ROM drive

Fun With Used Equipment, or How to Put Together a $3000 Audiophile CD Player for $555!

cdrom

Last edited:
No there are many reviews of the ODAC. Here is the link and it dose 24/96 over USB and is powered by USB with no driver for windows. Will work like an ideal sound card. Here are the reviews.

Brief Odac impressions

There is lot of confusion here. I need to make it clear.

As far as I can see, there is no way to get digital audio out of my Defy+. Therefore it is not possible to connect it to a DAC.

Audiodoc said - And a tread comparing the Motorola defy with a FiiO DAC

So I was talking about the difference between FiiO DAC and DEFY DAC. I NEVER said that DEFY has digital out. Neither about feeding phone out to DAC.
The posts on the forums have said that when their headsets were connected to DEFY directly(condition 1) and when their headset was connected to DAC(condition 2) People mentioned that directly connecting to DEFY output was good BUT after connecting to DAC output, sound was a bit better.

I said that condition2 might be producing better sound NOT because of DAC quality but because DAC was able to drive the headsets better than DEFY.
Last post says -
Directly connected to the phone, my ES7's sound pretty good, but with the E5 added, it really allows them to be driven properly and approach their true ability.​

Not at all clear what you mean by this.
Compare phone/mobile player analogue out to analogue out of DAC ... connected to what? What DAC? Any phone/player? Any DAC?

I have clearly asked the active speaker owners to compare -
1) mobile good phone/ipod output(analog) i.e onboard DAC out=> input of active speaker
2) output of your favourite DAC => input of active speaker
and post the observations. As I wanted to eliminate as many variable as possible.

What has this comparison got to do with the original question.

1. The effect of power supply, RF noise, etc etc, on a properly designed sound card inside a PC is largely theoretical, and, whilst there is no harm in avoiding that theoretical problem by putting the audio interface outside the box, largely exagerated.

2. How is a phone going to provide a cleaner environment. Cell phone frequencies, GPS, all sorts of sensors, all crammed in a tiny space.

For starters, a PC does not have a continual, ongoing conversation with all the cell towers around it.

I think you need to reconsider your goal posts.

Original question was - How dedicated DAC can have better output than onboard DAC? and is there any real difference?
So apart from the quality of chip used being different, onboard DAC might be having these interference, noisy environment problems too, which is resulting in even bad output. And hence use of dedicated DAC is justified to some extent.

Phone would have cleaner environment than PC/laptop because -
1) though both use electronics, power rating, current rating is very low for a phone, compared to laptop. Also PC has larger magnetic and electrical components
2) unfiltered power supply is totally eliminated in case of mp3 player/mobile
3) radio station and mobile tower interference is everywhere. DAC of phone is no different here than a laptop/PC DAC. But because of point 1 and 2 above. DAC on a phone might have lesser interference than sound card. MP3 player would be the cleanest source of all.
4) Cellphone does not talk with cellphone tower continuously with same strength. And if at all that has to be considered then most laptops also have wifi adapter which is on. So again laptop has more noisier environment than a cellphone.

@others
I definitely agree that I need to give it a listen. reuenigma is extremely generous and helpful in facilitating me to do that. But this difference is turning out to be objectively unmeasurable and logically unexplainable(to some extent at least). But there is almost unanimous and large subjective difference.

Thanks all for showing the patience :)

Last edited:
There should be a way to directly take the digital out from the CD drive. I believe the output is SPDIF but with different voltage levels.

Thanks!

He is refering to the bare CD drive's outputs from a computer. Has anyone here played with this cheaply available option (and so create a standalone CD drive + DAC solution)?

Thanks!

He is refering to the bare CD drive's outputs from a computer. Has anyone here played with this cheaply available option (and so create a standalone CD drive + DAC solution)?

Yes that is what I meant.
1) Use A bare bones CDROM drive (the same drive that you use in a PC)
2) Make your own power supply so that you get a clean supply instead of using the noisy SMPS power supply in a PC.
3) Make a control kit so that you can do forward, reverse, pause, play
4) A Display Unit to see the operations and track being played, etc
5) Take the output from the laser and feed it to the DAC after proper conditioning. I have found enough posts on the net saying that this output is actually SPDIF but with lot of jitter and much higher voltage than the standard SPDIF specs.
6) use some memory so that you can buffer the data in advance and avoid the jitter
7) Make a proper cabinet to house everything.
8) Disseminate the knowledge on HiFiVision so that poor folks like me can afford a good quality CD player

Note: Do all the above without using a PC. I can fund something (lets say RS 5000 to one brave DIYer for this noble cause. Others are welcome too)

Such a kit is available in ebay

DIY CDROM controller Kit With display Remote control | eBay

See this youtube video to get an idea

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qp3EYcKX35c&feature=player_embedded

Last edited:
Even if amp and speaker is same and you change the source, those are going to adulterate the signal.
I am not sure what are you trying to find out. You are telling that even the listening to different dacs is also not ideal to find the difference. As I told I could hear a huge or day-n-night difference between the DVDP DAC and a Beresford Caiman DAC even in a normal setup with the same source.

And as it is turning out, there is not much objective difference between the two(I hope you agree on that).
No, I dont as I could feel a lot of difference. Also music doesnt end with just the THD/soundstage/imaging, these are some of the basic params and there are a lot of factors which one cannot write somewhere, it may be different for all, but the basics should be there.
Also I could hear a lot of difference b/n a TD1541 based dac and a Beresford Caiman without changing anything except the dac.

Only ultra high end have excellent output characteristics comparable to DAC response.
From my experience a decent setup can reveal the difference clearly, provided we are able to listen that.

@theredcommando

It's a simple rule that DAC will definitely improve the output quantity as well as quality of the active/powered speaker.

I am not able to understand that why is this debate getting so long?

The best way to understand - go to any of your local shop and audition any active/powered speaker without DAC/Soundcard STX first and then with the DAC/Soundcard STX. You will notice the difference day/night difference, if not so there is a difference between the way you listen to music and the way I listen to music.

It clearly seems to me that you are comparing external audiophile DAC to your mobile phone?? ehh??

output of my mobile phone nokia 5233 to the input of my AL MX5021 - I need to fully pump the volume(5 out of 5 points led's) to get the sound output as compare to the xonar DX's output with a level of (2.5-3 out of 5 point led's), and It couldn't touch the sound quality of the output via xonar DX.

Why is this conversation going too long? I am not able to figure out.

Regards

Last edited:
@ruenigma
Thanks! I am obliged... I would definitely love to. Will PM you...

TRC, RUENIGMA:
Count me in too ... however, as a perpetual skeptic against anything popular or "well known" or pertaining to "common/accepted knowledge" I might come across as a rude person

Happened recently with a friend who believed (and still does!) the Ouija board.
In spite of being proven wrong.

TRC, RUENIGMA:
Count me in too ... however, as a perpetual skeptic against anything popular or "well known" or pertaining to "common/accepted knowledge" I might come across as a rude person

Happened recently with a friend who believed (and still does!) the Ouija board.
In spite of being proven wrong.

Would love to be proven wrong. It's a learning process. :) So are you guys coming over tonight? Can also get your opinion on the C356 vs C326. Will be kinda fun.

PM me your contact numbers.

PS: Ouija? ROFLMAO :D

Last edited:
This is getting long because actual measurements of good mobile/mp3 player DAC are pretty descent and measurements of dedicated DAC are not hugely different. And hence onboard DAC should produce enough good sound theoretically. However subjective opinions are hugely different. If something is not measurable then producing a good equipment would also become extremely difficult and subjective.

But still. NyAVGuy, himself admits that modern onboard DACs are pretty descent and adding a DAC is reaching diminishing returns already. Look my my post #21 in this thread.

Also, I think you will agree that PSB Alpha 1 are considered good speakers but their sound characteristics are not that good. This is just an example, other good speakers also have similar measurements. Except Genelec off course, but Genelec is in different league. Follow my post #29. Here is a link for reference -
SoundStage! Measurements - PSB Alpha B1 Loudspeakers (10/2006)

Quoting from above site -
Distortion measurements for loudspeakers are usually many times that of electronics (i.e., amplifiers, receivers, etc.).​

So good speakers 'reveal' shortcomings/inferior quality of onboard DAC is also something I find hard to concede.

Though, I do respect subjective opinions. I do agree that there might be some params that are not measurable. And all these dedicated equipments should be adding some value. How large this addition is, thats something I am trying to find out.

Plus, this advise about whether to invest in a DAC is important for anybody in general.

PS: Nokia 5233 might not have good measurement numbers. Also at high volume, distortion would be even more.

Last edited:
This is getting long because actual measurements of good mobile/mp3 player DAC are pretty descent and measurements of dedicated DAC are not hugely different. And hence onboard DAC should produce enough good sound theoretically. However subjective opinions are hugely different. If something is not measurable then producing a good equipment would also become extremely difficult and subjective.

But still. NyAVGuy, himself admits that modern onboard DACs are pretty descent and adding a DAC is reaching diminishing returns already. Look my my post #21 in this thread.

Also, I think you will agree that PSB Alpha 1 are considered good speakers but their sound characteristics are not that good. This is just an example, other good speakers also have similar measurements. Except Genelec off course, but Genelec is in different league. Follow my post #29. Here is a link for reference -
SoundStage! Measurements - PSB Alpha B1 Loudspeakers (10/2006)

Quoting from above site -
Distortion measurements for loudspeakers are usually many times that of electronics (i.e., amplifiers, receivers, etc.).​

So good speakers 'reveal' shortcomings/inferior quality of onboard DAC is also something I find hard to concede.

Though, I do respect subjective opinions. I do agree that there might be some params that are not measurable. And all these dedicated equipments should be adding some value. How large this addition is, thats something I am trying to find out.

Plus, this advise about whether to invest in a DAC is important for anybody in general.

PS: Nokia 5233 might not have good measurement numbers. Also at high volume, distortion would be even more.

I have also tried with my Nationite Nanite N2 MP3 Player which has a class A amp chip inside which is slightly better sounding than the clip+ with a better soundstage and still the output was much better on with my Xonar DX :)

Isn't it quite weird that someone buy high end active speakers/bookshelves and driving them from their MP3 player or mobile phone?

Obviously one who buy good active speaker/bookshelves is not going to drive those with his mobile phone or MP3 player or so, he will definitely buy good soundcard/DAC to reveal the full potential of his speakers.

I would like to add one more thing as you said about distortion:

When I was playing my speakers with my mobile phone 5233 and Nationite Nanite 2 so there was a store guy who has some chinese mobile with him and when he played my speakers with his chinese mobile so the sound was very sharp and the output was also much much more like it was not at all pleasurable to listen to coz the DAC chip used inside his chinese mobile was not upto the mark of the DAC chip used inside the 5233 or N2.

No distortion whatsoever playing through my mobile phone as well as from MP3 player but sound quantity and quality wasn't upto the mark as with my Xonar DX.

Last edited:
Recently i have realised that for whoever relies on digital audio, dac or cd player (whatever converts to analog) is the most important part of the chain (more than amp or speakers). Its the soul of all the music output. The more highend a system is, more important these things becomes, If someone has a decent system, he should definitely research thoroughly to get a dac that suits him musically and tonally. If you get the dac right, nothing else will matter in the chain (unless amp or speakers are too bad), otherwise its just endless cycle of upgrades to get everything right and peace of mind(and it wont until the dac is right). So guys pay most attention to dac if you want to enjoy the music. Only reason dacs are difficult to choose because there are only subtle differences when we listen for first time and really have to listen to them for long times. One thing to take care of, resolution maybe the last thing to look in dacs. More serious one is for music, more serious he should be for dacs.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back