Importance of Source player

anandls

Hi All,
I had a doubt, whether is it important to have a very good source (DVD player) to get the desired output in terms of music and vidio, if I had a very good amplifier and very good speakers to match the same.

Just wanted to save the cost on the source (Currently I have a sony DVD mini player) if it is not really make the difference.

I'm planning to buy CA 640 V2 or Denon DVD-2930CI with pair of Wharfedale 9.2. Please suggest me if its a right combo, along with answer to my above query.

Thanks.
Anand

The source - or the quality thereof - is of paramount importance. Your source is your key to both music as well as movies. If that is compromised it does not matter what kind of amplification you throw at it.

Please do invest in a good DVD player for movies or CD player for music. Members here have mentioned that the Oppo DVD players function equally well for movies as well as music.

Thanks for the info.

Also, wanted to know that if I have a very good reciever like Yamaha RX-V633, do I still need to buy Amplifier?
May be I'm sounding like a dumb :-(

Thanks for the info.

Also, wanted to know that if I have a very good reciever like Yamaha RX-V633, do I still need to buy Amplifier?

Yam 663 has good reviews.So it can do the job for you.Still dedicated stereo amp is better.Its like ratio 80:100

Thanks for the info.

No problem. The RXV663 is a good midrange multi channel receiver. If movies are important to you then this is the route you should take. But if music is more important you probably ought to look at integrated amplifiers.

However it is important to understand that there are many people who make a compromise to attain a best of both worlds sort of result. So you can indeed use your multichannel receivers for music as well as movies. Hope this helps.

The source - or the quality thereof - is of paramount importance. Your source is your key to both music as well as movies. If that is compromised it does not matter what kind of amplification you throw at it.

Please do invest in a good DVD player for movies or CD player for music. Members here have mentioned that the Oppo DVD players function equally well for movies as well as music.

yes, indeed .........i have replaced my old DVD player with OPPO DV-980H and i immediately noticed a lot of improvement in both the audio as well as video quality...OPPO really deserves the reputation it holds, for its Value for Money products...:)

Thanks Mandeep for the info. OPPO is coming up with (may be they have already) with Blu ray 983, what do you say about that, any info?

Hi Cranky,
I must say that your respnose was realy very helpful in making my decision to go for a new source (player). The information was very detailed and informative. Thanks for the info.

Anand.

imo its difficult to rate whats the most important part of your music system. they all contribute to making your system sound good. when i go about changing / upgrading my system, apart from biggest bang for the buck, i check what is the weakest link and look at upgrading that.

so when you go about upgrading your system look at what the weakest link in it is and then look at upgrading that. if youre looking at upgrading your entire system then work towards a plan. if you just want to upgrade your source then i think the 640c would be an overkill. you dont need to spend so much on a cdp for the system that you have (not taking anything away from your system). you can buy an entry level cambridge / marantz / nad. and spend the rest of the money on buying music.

but this is only my opinion. you need to listen to entry level cdps and higher end cdps on a similar setup and if you think it makes that much of a difference to your ears and its worth the extra buck then go for it

Last edited:
Thanks a lot afj, that was very useful info, I also liked the alst point which you mentioned about trying both entry level cdp and high end cdp with same setup and to make a decision.

Thanks all for the valuable inputs.

Amen to this post.

I would add power (amplifier in its many forms) to the first list as you need to drive the speakers sufficiently.

Think of it like this, if you have great components but crappy recordings or transport, the system does not sound good. Having said this, you have most control over the recording, transport, amp & speaker purchases. The points you are constrained by are the room acoustics, speaker placement and listening levels.

One will get better bang for the buck in taking care of the placement, speaker tuning and room treatments than most other things.

IMO:

The four things that matter the most in a system:

Source (incl the actual music you listen to)
Speakers (placement and tweaking included)
Room (including treatment for reflection and isolation, also ambient noise levels and seating position)
Ears

People will shift a few things here and there but by and large, these are the top box considerations.

Of secondary importance:

Amplifiers
Cables

They are influences, important enough to merit serious consideration for medium-resolution systems.

Of tertiary importance

Power
Racking

Differences in these are detectable only in high resolution systems, not to say that there are none.

Source is one of the most critical things as it is the point of origin. With the growing trend of using a digital connection to connect source to a receiver, the term 'source' itself has dimmed.

Getting high-quality analog out of digital source material is non-trivial. As the resolution of your system increases, the weakest link usually shows through. I have a E-mu 1212m which I modded to the gills. For everything I had then, the sound was superlative, lacking nothing and satisfying every desire I had from the music.

Then of course, I upgraded my mains and found the same source grainy and metallic at times, hiding some detail and having a bit of bloat in the midbass region. Just changing the source out to a new DAC improved things remarkably, but now I realise I need new amplifier and cables as well.

I liken this to a stream of thick chocolate powder which is passing through a series of sieves. As the sieves become more and more open, you get more of the chocolate - but only as much as the most constricted of them will allow. Of course some have less influence than others, and on some of them (like the room) you have very little control. That is the purpose of my list.

I don't know that helped you or not, but in a word, the source is pretty critical.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back