Importing Blu-Ray's/DVD's - Duty

dgtl887

Hey,

I wanted to know what the limit is for importing Blu-Ray movies/DVD's from online sites such as Amazon. I want to avoid paying any duty and so far have been importing just one or two at a time (and haven't payed anything so far, for the record).

Apologies is this is the wrong section, but its the best place I could find for this question.

Mr. Blu-Ray is our resident expert on this. He has imported a lot and he will have the best answers.

Cheers

Last edited:
I've been through the two threads. The first one didn't really delve into what the limit is before duty is levied. The second one goes way over my head. Plus, I didn't see anything there pertaining to DVD's or their limit.

@venkat

Is 'Mr. Blu-Ray' his ID on this forum ?

dgtl887, I've recently ordered quite a few Blu-rays from Amazon UK and they were shipped to my address in Bangalore. I've posted about the shipping here http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/8210-amazon-fan-writes-3.html#post121941
What I found is that the blu-rays, specially the Box sets are much cheaper in Amazon UK. Plus the shipping cost also is turns out to be cheaper it seems. Normally approx 3GBP but if you are ordering more than one item (triple packs are considered as single item) than the cost comes down further. For my last order which haven't reached me yet, the shipping is 2GBP per item as I've ordered 5 items.
About the duty is again on your luck it seems. I got charged for one single item package and not charged for 3 item package even though it was opened by the customs.

I've been through the two threads. The first one didn't really delve into what the limit is before duty is levied. The second one goes way over my head. Plus, I didn't see anything there pertaining to DVD's or their limit.

@venkat

Is 'Mr. Blu-Ray' his ID on this forum ?

Hi,

I understand "it goes way over" so as of I know I clarify yours and will prepare a simple list having tariffs for each category over this weekend.

So, coming to your question, under chapter 85, customs duty on CD/DVD (recorded media) is nil. However, in the event the value of the imported items goes beyond Rs. 5000, you will be charged anywhere between 4-7% as a nominal duty on the value of the recorded media, freight and insurance.

Cheers!

dgtl887, I've recently ordered quite a few Blu-rays from Amazon UK and they were shipped to my address in Bangalore. I've posted about the shipping here http://www.hifivision.com/general-chit-chat/8210-amazon-fan-writes-3.html#post121941

About the duty is again on your luck it seems. I got charged for one single item package and not charged for 3 item package even though it was opened by the customs.

Yeah, I've been ordering from Amazon UK mostly. Most of the movies/box-sets there are much cheaper.

A question about your experience - was the duty payed by you directly at the customs office or did Amazon pay for it (either themselves or by charging ur card at a later date) ?

Hi,
So, coming to your question, under chapter 85, customs duty on CD/DVD (recorded media) is nil. However, in the event the value of the imported items goes beyond Rs. 5000, you will be charged anywhere between 4-7% as a nominal duty on the value of the recorded media, freight and insurance.

Cheers!

So as per the customs laws - even if I order 6-7 blu's at a time, I won't have to pay duty on them as long as I keep it under 5000 ? That's pretty cool. Also, please refer to the question I asked 'konfused'. Will I have to pay the duty personally by going to their office or will Amazon do it for me (even if they charge my card later) ?

@everyone

Thanks for replying. Please keep the info coming though ! :p
I really want to migrate from ordering 1-2 movies at a time to ordering 5-6.

A question about your experience - was the duty payed by you directly at the customs office or did Amazon pay for it (either themselves or by charging ur card at a later date) ?

So as per the customs laws - even if I order 6-7 blu's at a time, I won't have to pay duty on them as long as I keep it under 5000 ? That's pretty cool. Also, please refer to the question I asked 'konfused'. Will I have to pay the duty personally by going to their office or will Amazon do it for me (even if they charge my card later) ?

I tell you how that works. Amazon does not involve in direct shipping, meaning they dont run a freight forwarding comp. They use UPS, DHL, or Fedex. If your item comes through UPS, your item will be delivered through the post office and if there is any customs duty, you will be intimated by your local post office and you pay and collect your items.

If you item is delivered through Fedex or DHL, they pay duty on behalf of you, as long as it is nominal say less than 2K, and they collect it from you and if the amount is more, they call you before clearing the item from customs.

I strongly encourage you to use UPS to avoid unnecessary handling charges and additional taxes. Since companies like DHL and FedEx handle huge number of shipments, their system automatically create tax invoices for items which is in excess of of their own taxable limit. I am sure you will avoid paying duties if are using standard shipping through UPS and if your item cost is below 5K.

According to customs statutes, only used capital goods can be imported and exempted from tax and all other items will be taxed as if they were new and even upon submitting sufficient proofs from your side, they will tax it by reducing the cost at the rate of 10% as depreciation value per year from the original cost.

Also, whether you are declaring the values high or low, and regardless of the condition of the item, unless accompanied by a bona fide letter stating it as gift, the assessing officer will google it and find the cost and tax the item as if it was new! If you are ordering items from US or UK, prefer shipping rare items like blu-ray players, etc., which are not much familiar so that it is easier for you to convince the officers.

Cheers!

I tell you how that works. Amazon does not involve in direct shipping, meaning they dont run a freight forwarding comp. They use UPS, DHL, or Fedex. If your item comes through UPS, your item will be delivered through the post office and if there is any customs duty, you will be intimated by your local post office and you pay and collect your items.

If you item is delivered through Fedex or DHL, they pay duty on behalf of you, as long as it is nominal say less than 2K, and they collect it from you and if the amount is more, they call you before clearing the item from customs.

According to customs statutes, only used capital goods can be imported and exempted from tax and all other items will be taxed as if they were new and even upon submitting sufficient proofs from your side, they will tax it by reducing the cost at the rate of 10% as depreciation value per year from the original cost.

Cheers!

Thanks. That's very helpful.

Amazon UK uses Royal Mail most of the time (which uses Indian Post, or whatever it's called, in India). They have used DHL once, however.

I plan to order approx 5 blu's at a time (at a cost about 50 pounds total - or 3500 rupees). I'm sorry to bother you like this, but do you think the customs officer will levy some duty ? If so (just to confirm), will they call me to let me know where I have to pick this up from and how much I have to pay ?

Also, whether you are declaring the values high or low, and regardless of the condition of the item, unless accompanied by a bona fide letter stating it as gift, the assessing officer will google it and find the cost and tax the item as if it was new! If you are ordering items from US or UK, prefer shipping rare items like blu-ray players, etc., which are not much familiar so that it is easier for you to convince the officers.

Cheers!

Hey Venketesh

Who has to supply the gift letter? If I get my friend to purchase for me and he sends a gift letter I show to customs does it work? If friend is abroad? From India? Or does the letter have to come from original shipping dispatcher?

Regards

Hey Venketesh

Who has to supply the gift letter? If I get my friend to purchase for me and he sends a gift letter I show to customs does it work? If friend is abroad? From India? Or does the letter have to come from original shipping dispatcher?

Regards

Hi,

Yes, your friend should attached the letter/gift declaration letter at the time he ships it and need to clearly mention on the package as well. Also, ask him to send you the scanned copy of the letter to you through email as well, so if any problems arise you can solve it.

The original dispatcher, unless an individual or very cooperative, would not do it for you most of the times.

Cheers!

Yeah, I've been ordering from Amazon UK mostly. Most of the movies/box-sets there are much cheaper.

I had to pay the customs charges at the post office. This item which was charged was shipped through Royal Mail and the items that are not charged was delivered by DeutchePost DHL. So I don't know if using one service to another makes a difference. Also for the uncharged items, the value was approximately 5000 Rs and the charged one was only 1400Rs. So no idea how exactly the customs deptt works on these items, as someone said, it all depends on your luck.

dgtl887 said:
Thanks. That's very helpful.

Amazon UK uses Royal Mail most of the time (which uses Indian Post, or whatever it's called, in India). They have used DHL once, however.

I plan to order approx 5 blu's at a time (at a cost about 50 pounds total - or 3500 rupees). I'm sorry to bother you like this, but do you think the customs officer will levy some duty ? If so (just to confirm), will they call me to let me know where I have to pick this up from and how much I have to pay ?

Hi,

If your are unlucky, then probably expect 300-400. Also I hope you have also added the shipping cost.

If sent through DHL, expect call from the courier guys. Otherwise, you can expect a call from your nearest postoffice or a memo letter from customs office, mostly the former.

Cheers,

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi,

I guess 20north is a reliable option, just received my 30 blurays, in three parts of 10 each, each costing about 8K-8.5K/parcel, and at no extra cost.(i.e no customs charged).

cheers.

I think it takes a little luck too.

My first Amazon shipment of the "Back to the Future Trilogy" got delivered by the postman without any duty, but the second one containing 5 DVD's ( 1 pack of 4, and a single DVD box) costing approx Rs.1200 was charged. After calculation, the rate came to around 15%. I chose to pay instead of fighting it out with the postal guys who didn't have any idea anyways. Hope luck favors me the next time i order..:rolleyes:

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back