Importing minidsp - customs?

scipath

I am not sure which section this thread belongs to, so I am putting it here, since minidsp is an av enhancer. I want to purchase a minidsp nanodigi 2x8 and a umik. I couldn't find it anywhere in India and even if it was available, I suspect it will go for some ridiculously high price. I had posted a wanted ad here, but got no responses.
I see that I can order it directly from the minidsp website, where they show a combined price of 245 dollars plus 40 dollars shipping, which I find reasonable.
Does anyone have experience importing minidsp products? How much import custom duty do I have to pay for this? Any other suggestions?
Thanks.

Last edited:
I imported minidsp nanoavrhd. There will be customs duty added to the 285 usd being charged.
Thanks.
Do you remember how much the customs duty was? The product costs around 16800 inr and shipping costs and the 3500 inr when converted. That adds up to around 20k. I used an online customs calculator that said the price including customs would be around 30 k. That's like a 50 percent increase.
Just want to confirm. If the price is indeed that high, I'll wait till later this year, when I'll probably go abroad myself.
Thanks.

Need to check some bills. I found the money paid to minidsp was 294 (254+40). Cant find the customs receipt, but I am sure it was charged. Checked the fedex statement and it doesnt show it. Btw, its shipped from HK, so unless you are going there, you will have to pay duty&shipping.

Need to check some bills. I found the money paid to minidsp was 294 (254+40). Cant find the customs receipt, but I am sure it was charged. Checked the fedex statement and it doesnt show it. Btw, its shipped from HK, so unless you are going there, you will have to pay duty&shipping.
Thanks. I haven't ever purchased electronics from abroad so am not sure how customs works, but I was under the impression that within a certain price limit you could carry personal electronics duty free. At least people bring phones and tablets for relatives all the time. Not sure if it is legal or not. I'll read more on it.
I'm going to Belgium soon to visit a relative, and there it is available at local vendors at a reasonable rate.

Oh nice, I too have been looking for a Mini DSP 2x4HD. Just cant seem to find it in India. Not even a used one. How different is the Nano you guys are referring to?

MaSh

if you check the minidsp website, you'll find two indian dealers listed
https://diyaudiocart.com/ is run by FM bibin3210 on the forum

Oh nice, I too have been looking for a Mini DSP 2x4HD. Just cant seem to find it in India. Not even a used one. How different is the Nano you guys are referring to?

MaSh
The nanodigi has digital input and output, no analog io. So you can connect optical digital out of TV or receiver to it and output is in the form of digital coaxial. There is no internal dac. So the output has to be converted to analog externally. This is an advantage if you have a dac you like. But keep in mind you need one dac each for each pair of output channels. From what I have read so far, the nanodigi can do everything the minidsp 2x4 HD can do, but it uses a different plugin for the purpose.

if you check the minidsp website, you'll find two indian dealers listed
https://diyaudiocart.com/ is run by FM bibin3210 on the forum
I had contacted vaani acoustics, one of the dealers mentioned in the website. Didn't seem interested. I also had sent a mail to Diyaudiocart and also called the listed number. No reply. Minidsp is not available in their website as well.

The nanoavr hd is what i have. This has two HDMI inputs and one HDMI output. However, it takes PCM inputs as it cant decode any format and the output can be sent to a processor with the video untouched. It allows for 8 channels to be equalised either manually or through filters exported from REW.

I imported MiniDSP 2*4 ( Rs. 9000/-) through Fedex, the customs charges was Rs.4800/-
diyaudiocart did not have the stock of MiniDSP.
Congratulations. How long did it take to arrive and from what website did you order it from?

Some of our FM s are planing to build freedsp which is an alternative to minimal. For mic a combo bheringer um2 + ecm8000 can be used cost around 8000 for the combo

Congratulations. How long did it take to arrive and from what website did you order it from?

Thanks Tuff. I ordered from their website and it took a couple of week. The FedEx people needed some KYC documents from me. The customs charges was paid to FedEx guy.

@Kannan_madhu That is an excellent initiative. Please start a new thread on it so we can keep a keen eye on it.

@Dev.R Have you done anything with it yet? Do post before and after impressions. Thanks.

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back