Importing Stuff from Hong Kong

cha_indian

I have decided to buy HiFi equipment form Hong Kong by mail order, payment would be via Paypal....

Is it feasible to use DHL for importing things for personal use. Any previous experiences by anyone would be highly helpful.

The stuff I want is not available in India and even if it is made available, it would be several times the price in Hong KOng

I have used FEDEX they are excellent!!They'll handle customs etc as well so no worries.

What about the charges by FedEx themselves for shipping? Wouldn't that be prohibitively expensive by itself? My only experience with FedEx has been with documents and if a < 0.5 kg envelope of documents cost me Rs. 1,800 from U.S. to here then I wonder what a pair of 21kg speakers or 10kg AV receiver will cost! And will it then be worth it?

Update: a quick check at their site indicates a 20kg package will cost about Rs. 21,000 from HK not including "Dynamic fuel surcharge, service tax, special handling fees and other duties & taxes". Phew! Hope I've made a mistake somewhere.

Last edited:
well, freight costs can kill! I have only imported light weight items,like audio tubes etc.Not worth bringing in speakers, tube amps etc.

True, you get to meet the seller face-to-face and can strike a bargain as well as shop around for a better deal. It is good that Indians do not need a visa for HK so it is not a hassle to travel.

No visa to Hong Kong ???? Now that is some good news !!

I was searching for cheap flights , i found Thai airlines at less than 550$ :D
what do you say...fares can be that low?

No visa to Hong Kong ???? Now that is some good news !!

I was searching for cheap flights , i found Thai airlines at less than 550$ :D
what do you say...fares can be that low?

Yes.. HK has visa-on-arrival for Indian passport holders...... and $550 is quite a ok fate to HK.. Checkout Air-India flights to HK via Singapore so that you get two places to shop for HIFi items ;)

Does any one know where i can get a Klipsch F3 floorsanders ( not from onkyo, they say its Rs.48,000) I am hunting a price of Rs.32,000

yea i had been to HK in jan n it had costed me abt 28G INR....there are no direct flights except for one or 2...cathay pacific is pretty decent n i went via KL and got back thru singapore...mind the stay is really expensive over there...a decent room could cost you anything between 800 - 1200 $HK about INR 5000-7500.... there are hell lotta shops that deal in HT stuff...i had been to TST , n they have some local pretty good stuff....

n yea visa on arrival....but its a big pain in the #$#$....you would have to show them the receipt of your hotel booking , the intended purpose and some contact in HK...they made me wait for abt 2 hours in the immigration office...if this is ya first trip to HK plan it out well in advance....the HK city is expensive and so i suggest u stay outside in some place like TST (check it on the net) or admirality...n besides finding indian food was a big problem....TST has some nice restaurants...

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back