Improving Stereo performance in my HT setup

So I have an update:

A good friend was able to loan me his old Arcam AVR 280 for home audition.
Stereo performance is way better on stereo haven’t checked movies yet, but I’m sure it will be at a different level. I’m really surprised with the quality of the stereo. I expected better l, but not so much.

In case anyone is looking for an AVR which has good stereo performance and has deeper pockets, should seriously consider Arcam esp if you don’t want to go for separates and want a simple one box solution.

I now know what to buy next, I’ll start saving up for Arcam AVR 10. I’m pretty sure this is the route I’ll be going in for.
Thank you all for your inputs. I’ll post back when I have an update.

Glad you found what you were looking for, do let us know detailed experience once you spend enough time with it.

Finally my HT + HiFi setup is fully done — loving the SA30 audio quality so far. It has the right amount of bass and highs are perfect so is the midrange. Vocals sound beautiful.

In HT mode the R3s have more power from Arcam and that works great too, bypass mode is great, though I did face trouble setting it up mainly because of no clarity on HT bypass mode, got it to work. It’s extremely simple btw. Haven’t faced any software issues or glitches so far.
I’m hoping this setup will keep me niggle free for years to come. I’m super happy with the way everything came through.

Attachments

• 167AF618-02FB-4EF0-BFBB-C05F61797B3C.jpeg
    167AF618-02FB-4EF0-BFBB-C05F61797B3C.jpeg
    563.6 KB · Views: 68
Finally my HT + HiFi setup is fully done — loving the SA30 audio quality so far. It has the right amount of bass and highs are perfect so is the midrange. Vocals sound beautiful.

In HT mode the R3s have more power from Arcam and that works great too, bypass mode is great, though I did face trouble setting it up mainly because of no clarity on HT bypass mode, got it to work. It’s extremely simple btw. Haven’t faced any software issues or glitches so far.
I’m hoping this setup will keep me niggle free for years to come. I’m super happy with the way everything came through.
Raj, congrats on your setup and glad that you are super happy for it !!

I too have almost same TV console as yours, bit lengthy and a wall on one side like yours

I like to know, having placed the speaker near the wall, on one side, is their any distortion or disturbance in the base ?

Or have you done anything to mitigate those ?

TIA

In HT mode the R3s have more power from Arcam and that works great too, bypass mode is great.

Can you tell us how the HT sounds pre and post arcam addition? Is there a significant difference or a subtle difference in HT performance?

Try pure direct too on Marantz with Spotify or Tidal. Will give you a slight idea how it has improved.

Btw love your setup, cabinet is cool. I can see a Xbox controller. :p

Raj, congrats on your setup and glad that you are super happy for it !!

I too have almost same TV console as yours, bit lengthy and a wall on one side like yours

I like to know, having placed the speaker near the wall, on one side, is their any distortion or disturbance in the base ?

Or have you done anything to mitigate those ?

TIA
Thank you!
Ah nice.
Yes there is some boom in the bass but doesn’t bother me much. I haven’t done anything about it yet.

Can you tell us how the HT sounds pre and post arcam addition? Is there a significant difference or a subtle difference in HT performance?

Try pure direct too on Marantz with Spotify or Tidal. Will give you a slight idea how it has improved.

Btw love your setup, cabinet is cool. I can see a Xbox controller. :p
HT important is definitely there and there is great improvement for sure. LR no longer dependant on AVR so that leaves some headroom for the AVR too. These KEFs are demanding, they will love the additional power.

Yes I have always used pure direct in marantz and I cannot go back from Arcam now to Marantz AVR.

Thank you
You will be disappointed to know tha Xbox controller is for Apple TV 4K games . I m not using much yet, I thought if this motivates me I’ll consider in future.

For now my pockets are deeply burnt and time to recover!

Congratulations on your setup, are you connecting sub to your stereo setup, If so which sub you are using and how u are controlling them in such HT+Hifi setup.

Congratulations on your setup, are you connecting sub to your stereo setup, If so which sub you are using and how u are controlling them in such HT+Hifi setup.
Thank you. I’m not using sub for stereo, R3s have enough low end for my listening environment. I mostly use Apple Music with Airplay.
I’m using SVS PB2000, I use Apple TV + via hdmi to my tv and Atmos tracks sound very good — in this setup the sub gets activated.

@Raj22
KEF R3 has a very well rounded and tight low end. The room boom is due to the right speaker (corner placement).
Not to worry for now. If you have tone/balance controls, use them.
Neat setup buddy!!

Cheers,
Raghu

I don't think SA 30 has Tone / Balance controls but I believe, it has Dirac Live

Hope this could help to a greater extent

@Raj22
KEF R3 has a very well rounded and tight low end. The room boom is due to the right speaker (corner placement).
Not to worry for now. If you have tone/balance controls, use them.
Neat setup buddy!!

Cheers,
Raghu

I would like to ask FM's, should one consider an absorber or diffuser in the corner to prevent this ??

I'm curious to know because I too will have the same issue.

Yes there is some boom in the bass but doesn’t bother me much.
I know already Raj said, it doesn't bother him much

But, sure will help him in the near future of course it is for improving stereo performance ;)

TIA

I would like to ask FM's, should one consider an absorber or diffuser in the corner to prevent this ??

I'm curious to know because I too will have the same issue.

I know already Raj said, it doesn't bother him much

But, sure will help him in the near future of course it is for improving stereo performance ;)

TIA
Please don’t start putting the cart before the horse. It’s a waste of time and money.

I would like to ask FM's, should one consider an absorber or diffuser in the corner to prevent this ?
Usually the offending frequencies lie between 80-120 Hz. Absorbers for these frequencies is not practical.
Easiest treatment would be to move the speakers away from the walls.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back