IN-CEILING speakers are specially designed to work without an enclosure?? .....If so, can they be used in OB??

Naveenbnc

Hi all ....
I am just wondering IN-CEILING speakers are specifically designed to work as full range without an enclosure??
Are they designed considering the false ceiling as a large baffle ??

If that is the case, ...... IN-CEILING speakers are better suitable for OB???
Do they perform as good as regular FR drivers in similar price range?

(this is just a question out of curiosity...no specific plan right now...)

Regards,
Naveen

Hi all ....
I am just wondering IN-CEILING speakers are specifically designed to work as full range without an enclosure??
Are they designed considering the false ceiling as a large baffle ??

If that is the case, ...... IN-CEILING speakers are better suitable for OB???
Do they perform as good as regular FR drivers in similar price range?

(this is just a question out of curiosity...no specific plan right now...)

Regards,
Naveen

Hi

In my opinion.....the components used in these speakers are specifically designed to ensure that it delivers what it mentioned in the specs and features......the manufacturers are never sure where the actual user place these speakers / mount them and hence most design these speakers in such a way that they don't fail to perform in whatever type of enclosure it is placed.

Car speakers too follow the same rule for years,,,,,,its only now that the in ceiling speakers are picking up momentum due to Dolby Atmos etc.....I would suggest to get Car Speakers which are 3 way which will deliver much better sound that In Ceiling speakers....

There are a variety of articles and write ups over internet around in ceiling speakers....all about fixing, pros and cons etc......

i found this particular write up interesting which could perhaps be correlated to in ceiling speakers...

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-in-wall-speakers

Hi

In my opinion.....the components used in these speakers are specifically designed to ensure that it delivers what it mentioned in the specs and features......the manufacturers are never sure where the actual user place these speakers / mount them and hence most design these speakers in such a way that they don't fail to perform in whatever type of enclosure it is placed.

Car speakers too follow the same rule for years,,,,,,its only now that the in ceiling speakers are picking up momentum due to Dolby Atmos etc.....I would suggest to get Car Speakers which are 3 way which will deliver much better sound that In Ceiling speakers....

There are a variety of articles and write ups over internet around in ceiling speakers....all about fixing, pros and cons etc......

i found this particular write up interesting which could perhaps be correlated to in ceiling speakers...

https://www.audioholics.com/loudspeaker-design/truth-about-in-wall-speakers

thanks a lot for the inputs and the link !!!!:):)

In-ceilings speakers are actually enclosed driver design, where ceiling depth is the enclosure, ceiling face is the flushing baffle.

Car drivers...... mmm.... aren't they supposed to be designed considering their back covered? But I have never tried. What is the Q? I think it is lower than 0.5 mostly.

Hi

Mmmmm....I think this design philosophy will be too much of a wide horizon for a designer designing any kind of drivers.
And most of the makers define the best use cabinet sizing in their driver's specification.

Thanks for the link.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back