In-Ear Headphone for Ipod Nano

Thanks asit,

As always you are being a great help. I am looking for a headset for my son(in the pic) too.
He is not satisfied with the one that came with his ipod touch. Please post a brief review on the RE2 and your son's impressions too once you get it. I will order it after reading your thoughts.

cheers,
sri

I am not very sure but if the RE2 are 32 Ohms will it sound loud enough with ipods.......??

Hi Sri,
I would definitely let everybody know once we get it. You have a very handsome son. Are you sure the picture is not yours?

Hi Deba,
I had similar concerns. But according to the members of a different forum (techenclave), it should work fine with an Ipod. They are saying RE0 (unamped) is the one which may have some problem with Ipod as source. I hope my 2.5K is not gone down the drain. 2.5 K is worth 500 rasagullas or about 250 high class sandesh.

Regards.

Last edited:
Hi asit,

Thanks and i will let my son know of your compliment. Yeah i am sure its not me, but lets say it is of the chip off this old block:D

cheers
sri

Hi Asit, interesting choice! have you received the package yet?

I checked out the website for Lynx, they apparently have a combo deal with RE2 and Fiio e5. I have heard good stuff about e5. Was this offer available when you checked? Am planning to go for it but might hang on for your verdict...

Hi Soulforged,

Yes, we were aware of the e5/e3, but didn't order it, because this earphone is mainly for the Ipod Nano of my son.

Hi Sri and all others interested,

The earphones (RE2) were delivered yesterday. There was a goof up on Lynx's part. Initially our RE2 went to some customer in Dehradun, and we received last Tuesday the stuff meant for the dehradun customer. Now it is all sorted out.

First impressions (before any or appreciable burn-in):
1) Way way better than the stock earphone that comes with the Ipod.
2) Without an amp, with Ipod as source (that is, directly hooked on to the Ipod), the sound can get much much louder than what is desirable.
3) The sound is very very detailed. Separation of all instruments is very good. The bass is a bit underwhelming at the moment. But reports say that it needs a burn-in of about 50 hours. After that the bass improves. Some also say that the bass will never be really boom boom. But for us, who are into softer versions of music, it's never a problem. Actually I found the bass from tabla was already satisfactory for me. But for people who want the slam, I'll have to report back after they break in. Of course I 'll need to find some music with some slam.
4) My son told me most of his music are kind of medium quality in terms of kbps, some are higher quality. I was actually worried about this part too. If it was too revealing, matching with an Ipod (which will mostly have music in some lossy formats) may not be ideal. From whatever I have heard so far, it seems very good to me.
5) My son told me a very significant thing: He said with the stock earphone sometimes it was bit too bright and as a result a bit painful for the ears. With this one, even before a break-in, that does not happen. After a listen of about 15 minutes this morning on the RE2, I switched back to the stock ones, I found the music to be very edgy, thin, and as if full of sibilence.
6) Although reports say they are not fully noise-isolating, I found them very isolating. In fact this morning when I was listening, my wife and our son were speaking to each other just a feet away from me, and I did not hear anything. One should not be out in the streets wearing these then.

Regards.

actually, I also got a chance to compare my sony in ears with sennheiser 212. Senns definitely had a lot more bass. But back at home at night, I still loved music played by the sonys. I think it is only on direct comparison I feel they loose out slightly on bass. Maybe it was a volume issue - so will hear again and do comparison again.

regards

Hi folks,

Here is another brief input.

I think the RE2's are burnt in now. The midrange clarity is phenomenal. The highs are detailed and not bright or edgy. And the biggest improvement after the burn-in is the bass section. It's difficult for me to fully gauge, because we do not listen to a lot of heavy-bass kind of music, but now its is there, very well defined and airtight, no boom , but good bass IMO. There is abosolutely no fatigue factor while listening for an extended session. Also I should mention that the RE2 fits in the ear perfectly well.

BTW, difference in SQ between a 128kbps and 320 kbps is like between day and night. The RE2 is quite revealing, so my son better move to all 320 kbps or fully lossless.

Regards.

HI,

Last month I bought Senn CX 300 from UB city. I found this to be very good with all the experiences with gold ring.

Initially the bass was bad and over time it is really good.

The bass depends on the fit of the buds in to ear canal. Some us may vary. Using the smallest and a good fit should do the trick.

Hi Pradski,

Nice to know that you are enjoying your Senn CX300. We considered it too, but ultimately settled for the Head Direct RE2. How much did you pay for it?

Regards.

Nice that you like the RE2. The CX300 is not even close to it. I had an RE2 earlier before getting an RE0. The RE2 is superb value for money. I have a CX300 too but that is relegated to the cupboard most of the time.

Hi RoC,
Yes, I really liked the RE2 listening to my son's Ipod for the songs which had better resolution. The music had clarity, details and yet very smooth, no headaches at all (I am not a big fan of IEM's anyway, I seldom use my AKG headphone either, prefer sound from speakers, so coming from me it's a big complement). I can only imagine what would be the RE0 like! That should really really be high end, and at those prices (5K) it's mouth-watering.

Hi pradski,
Thanks for the price. What are you using your CX300 with?

Regards.

PS: RoC, can you suggest a better player than iTunes from my mac laptop. Should I play from Audacity? I do not like iTunes at all for my 24/96 music, I think it can be bettered. Should I start a new thread on it?

Nice that you like the RE2. The CX300 is not even close to it. I had an RE2 earlier before getting an RE0. The RE2 is superb value for money. I have a CX300 too but that is relegated to the cupboard most of the time.

I was looking at this a few months ago for possible purchase for gym but was not too impressed with the cable quality. The sound was good but the cable felt like cheapo creatives. How long have you had yours and any issues with the cable during active wear (if you have done any as such) esp under windy/noisy conditions since they are semi open?

I haven't pulled the trigger and might well if I get to hear good things about the cable.

Asit, I have been using this cx 300 with my mobile nokia 5310 music express.
Been waiting for a real good source like iphone calibre and higher.

Hifi brothers,

I ve zeroed in on two Iems, after reading Asit's take, on the the head direct re2 and from Suprateeps opinion, on the Beta Brainwavz from mp4nation. I plan to get either with the fiio e5. I will be using it with a nokia 5130xm for the time being. Later on I will be getting a Sansa clip plus/ cowon d2 to replace my lost D2 and would be using the iems with those.
My doubts are regarding the sound quality of the two in comparison to each other and what would be suitable since i am using a nokia 5130, which though has decent clarity, is not really the best source around.

If anyone is buying - inspite of the -ve opinions about the Creative EP630 - if you can - please check them out and then form an opinion. For the price and sound quality - they are a steal. Out of the box, they sound really horrible. but burn them in [check this] for 24 hours and they improve tremendously.

There is another one that is cheaper and better than the Creative. A friend had these and left them behind in a plane so I have heard them only once. The Cresyn LMX-E630. Dunno where you can buy them in India but I'm sure that they are available - the el cheapo ones always are. But this one is really good.

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back