In ear monitors and Over ear headphones.

varma_vikas

Hi all,
I am vikas and I am looking for in ear monitors.

Could anybody guide me what to choose ?

As per reviews I selected Shure se215, Rha ma 750i,,but still confuse which one to go for.

I have ripped all my cd's to wav format.

Excellent vocals and neutrality are prime concern, It doesn't mean that bass should not be there

Source will be my microsoft Lumia 640xl lte and I May think about Fiio X1 high resolution player.

Budget is apx 5-10k.

Reliability is my prime concern and I think over ear headphones are far more durable..

Please guide me and suggest..

Thank you

Last edited:
Hi Vikasji,

I own the SE215 and RHA T20. In terms of build quality, i found both to be very durable (except for the plastic nozzle of 215s). The plus with shure are that the cable is detachable and so you can replace it if cable goes for a toss. RHAs are build like tank as their earpieces are made from moulded steel.

The 215s are a tad bit on warmer side and I personally love vocals on them. Have not personally heard 750s and any comparison to T20s would be unfair as both are in different class.

In either case, please invest in comply foam tips. That was the best decision i made, totally worth it. Improved sound quality with much better comfort.

I personally think durability depends on material rather than if its in-ear or over-ear but on the materials they are made of. However in terms of comfort in listening for longer period, i would rate headphones (over ear) better than the in-ears.

Thanks
Satya

Hi Vikas,

If you are inclined to BOSE, their in ear earphones are quite decent enough. SONY has a couple of models which range from 5k - 8k....visit their website to see these models as it boasts of having separate inbuilt drivers to deliver optimal Bass and Treble effect to users....

Seinhisers are good, CX series....I believe that any earphone which has the capability to deliver all frequencies from 20hz - 20khz is good enough for anyone....it is also more important to understand the impedance of the earphones either 16 ohms or 32 ohms...a simple google search will help understand the difference and delivery of sound of both these kind of earphones...

Also remember that our cell phones are designed to output certain amount of volume through earphones and hence the impedance factor and loudness design of earphones matters....all the best

Thank you swaroop ji and efernard1,,,,some more details here....
I am diverting towards over the ear due to following reasons...

Price and performance ratio,,,,I feel in a budget of 8k I can get far better performance from open or semi open back professional headphones..

I have read about few and selected Akg240,,impedance is 54 ohms,,
According to reviews everywhere I think this is what exactly I am looking for,,
I like beyerdynamics also they are expensive.

Few more are..grado 80i,,,shure srh840...

2..i feel uncomfortable with in ear because of closed back design,,they builds up pressure in ears and after some time they decrease our hearing capabilities..
This I felt when I recently got a Sony x50ap in ear..
Experience may differ with shures etc...

Sudden change in plan
Decided to go with in ears because over ears will perform with bigger amp and moreover over ear will b highly uncomfortable in summers specially on the way.

Now pls suggest....

Hi Vikasji,

I own the SE215 and RHA T20. In terms of build quality, i found both to be very durable (except for the plastic nozzle of 215s). The plus with shure are that the cable is detachable and so you can replace it if cable goes for a toss. RHAs are build like tank as their earpieces are made from moulded steel.

The 215s are a tad bit on warmer side and I personally love vocals on them. Have not personally heard 750s and any comparison to T20s would be unfair as both are in different class.

In either case, please invest in comply foam tips. That was the best decision i made, totally worth it. Improved sound quality with much better comfort.

I personally think durability depends on material rather than if its in-ear or over-ear but on the materials they are made of. However in terms of comfort in listening for longer period, i would rate headphones (over ear) better than the in-ears.

Thanks
Satya

Hi Swaroop ,i am thinking of buying between rha t20 or shure se315 can u plz give some details about their sound quality or which is better to buy ?m leaned towards warmer sound so can you plz suggest me which one to go for?
thanks.

Please check headphonezone.in, they have a lot of brands to choose from and I also saw SoundMagic released recently on their site.

Hi Swaroop ,i am thinking of buying between rha t20 or shure se315 can u plz give some details about their sound quality or which is better to buy ?m leaned towards warmer sound so can you plz suggest me which one to go for?
thanks.

Hi Harris,

I would strongly suggest T20s. I did not listen to se315s but did a lot of online research whether to buy them or 215s. I found in forums many opined 215s are better than 315s. 315s are the only model probably weak in the value chain of whole shure line-up. But all that is based on what i found online but not from personal listening experience. I just bought 215s and was thoroughly satisfied with them.

the RHA T20s have lot of strong points going for them. It is detailed and also has fantastic lows. Build quality and other points aside, it comes with tuning filters which you can change to colour the music (make it dark) according to your taste. I personally swap between the treble and neutral filter. Never needed to put on the bass filter. There are multiple points in favor of T20s in my personal opinion to lean towards them.

One definite advise is to get some comply tips. Even though the T20s come with a whole choice of tips with them, I still found comply to be comfortable.

Thanks
Satya

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back