In the spirit of the season...

I was about 9 years old (late 60s) when Dad brought home a Mahalia Jacksons LP - a Christmas album issued by CBS. It was my introduction to Afro-American music. As a kid I was completely stunned by the voice that came out of the speakers - being exposed to gentle hymns, carols, etc., the sound was totally unexpected and initially it left me confused as I could never fathom any human could sing like that. However, over the next few years it became my favourite album. Mahalia was the reason that I started exploring Afro-American music. Though I am hardly a religious person, I still enjoy listening to Mahalia Jacksons Gospel music.

Couple of years back Tori Amos came out with Midwinter Graces - a Christmas album with some of her original compositions and her interpretation of traditional Christmas songs - a very refreshing Christmas music for me at least.

Tori Amos - Winter's Carol - YouTube

Tori Amos-Midwinter Graces (Star Of Wonder) - YouTube

I pulled out my Christmas CD collection about a week ago.
Have been listening to them almost every night!

Best Christmas song ever for me is Bing Crosby's "Let it Snow".

COVERED_BingCrosby_zpsb04db7f8.jpg

Among the newer artists, "Its Beginning to Look a Lot like Christmas" by Michael Bubl is outstanding.
Probably as good or better than some of the classics.

m2193172.jpg

Any album from either artist are highly recommended Christmas listening!

Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Searching for Summertime, BBC Four: a documentary on Gershwin's masterpiece - Telegraph

Quote from the Telegraph article:

"One of the most fascinating examples of how Summertime has been used to project dreams and desires is gospel singer Mahalia Jacksons version. Jackson only recorded religious music, except once or twice in her career. One of those occasions was when she cut Summertime. Intriguingly she recorded it as a medley, pairing Summertime with Sometimes I Feel Like a Motherless Child. As Jackson combines the songs, so she segues from a faux-spiritual written by two white men about a baby who has everything into a genuine 19th-century spiritual about a baby who has nothing. Its no coincidence that Jackson recorded her version at the dawn of the civil rights movement in 1956."

MAHALIA JACKSON ~ Summertime/Motherless Child - YouTube

Last edited:
Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back