Incredible Results from Mystery New TV

Many in US and euopean forums are speculating that Sony has applied its FPA lcd tech tech on panels based on VA origin( UV2A and SPVA) make them a hybrid FPA panel,which ensures a much faster response time field-induced photo-reactive alignment will ensure really low response time.
Sony also says this will also have the added advantage of making TV panels more durable and longer lasting and cheaper to produce.

Sony Global - News Releases - Sony develops "Hybrid FPA", a novel liquid crystal alignment technique that achieves
Sony 'Hybrid FPA' liquid crystal alignment technique sets LCD issues straight -- Engadget

Flatpanels HD nor did i say the viewing angle on the whole is better
I quote
"The viewing angles are above average but not perfect. I saw a decrease in color intensity and most colors also tend to get a pastel like tint from wide angles."

But they said
"Contrast, on the other hand, is maintained from angles and this is actually the most important aspect when it comes to viewing angles on LCD-TVs in my opinion. Most LCD-TVs have fairly good black levels from the front but black tends to grey out from angles. But not on Sony HX909/HX900.

Black is pitch-black from angles, which is extremely positive. The only problem is that the halos from the local dimming system increase significantly from angles"

Again contrary to cnet as far as blooming or more like banding according to flatpanelHD and digital versus and fullhdgr say they saw more banding in the the LG 8500.

Motion handling is not a problem with new generation tvs with advances in backlight scanning motion resolution is vastly increased.

backlight bleeding is not a guaranteed issue,you may or may not get that with the tv you purchase.

Finally there is no such thing as a perfect tv,everbody have their own picture quality criteria.Plasma to have various issues ,which i have raised in many debates here in this and many other forums .So if those issues are sorted out ,the plasma could be the logical choice for the majority of the people, considering its much much cheaper.

Let us look at this statement again
"
Black is pitch-black from angles, which is extremely positive"

What does that mean? CNET found this otherwise clearly
"It didn't preserve black levels as well as the LG, and again we noticed an increase in the brightness of "black" from one seat to either side of the sweet spot at our eight-foot viewing distance"

You made a point in relation to this and someone who reads it in this forum could just blindly ignore it. I am trying to highlight that he/she cannot ignore the issue of off angle blacks while making a purchase because a review site did observe it. Whether it is a significant factor or not can only be judged by onself?

I am very well aware that not all reviews are the same.
As far as the LH8500's banding is concerned i clearly remember pasting a few pictures of the same issue from avsforum quite some time ago. But that is not even my point.Here my point is only about off angle blacks.

THe second para is very much my personal opinion and a reflection
of what i consider to be the most important reasons for currently choosing a plasma over an LCD. A switchover personally is easy if these issues could all be fixed.

Afterall i came to this forum in 2009 in search
of an LCD -the Samsung B750 considered by many review sites as the best CCFL LCD that year. Things changed when i started physically observing the issues that i mentioned (though i happened to know about them already)
and started considering plasmas though i initially never bothered about them as i thought they were too dull and lifeless

You said backlight bleeding may or may not be an issue. Isnt it still something to consider for someone who might purchase a TV only to find out it was quite distracing for him/her?

I am aware that no TV is perfect. That is the reason we debate.discuss and personally observe to find out what's best for us.. right?

^I agree with you .

But until this tv is out or tested or seen ,some people making prejudice comments isn't serving any purpose.It only contribute to another usesless plasma vs lcd or brand debate,which is not the reason this thread was made.

I would like to add :)

Pricing matters, regardless of the brand and technology if they price this at 80-90k for say a 42\40 inch then its gonna be a bummer. I am not speculating on the price, the figures are just to state my point.

Its over 2 lakh price , after paying that kind of money I am sure one can only see deep blacks :D:lol:.

Last edited:
2 lakhs ..... so that mean over 2 years of waiting period before this comes in the mainstream pricing or gets it thunder stolen by a rival technology ..

2 lakhs ..... so that mean over 2 years of waiting period before this comes in the mainstream pricing or gets it thunder stolen by a rival technology ..

Well one can never predict anything about technology.There was supposed to a be another lcd tech called bluephase from samsung which i believe is stuck with patents dispute between sharp and samsung.

This tech which is probably the FPA tech could well be applied to all other VA based panel.
There are lots of VA based panels SPVA,AMVA,SMVA,UV2A etc

Sony would most certainly cross-license it to other companies such as samsung or sharp or AUO.Which it has joint ventures or buys panels.

Since sony doesn't have a 6g to 10g facility to manufacture lcds.It only maufactures lcds of small sizes such as cameras,phones etc.

So once it enters mass production it could well be just as cheap as current panels.

As far as other tech Sony and Samsung both are not going to invest further in their joint S-lcd company,nor is Sony going to invest in sharp lcd for the upcoming year or so.
They both instead are going to invest in OLED.Sony already has launched pro level OLED monitors for production houses,so a sign that large size OLED is again starting to move in the right direction.

While OLED is probably a good 4 years away it still worth waiting for,unless offcourse current lcd-led tech narrows the gap.

Get the Award Winning Diamond 12.3 Floorstanding Speakers on Special Offer
Back