Indoor plants

panditji

Hi

Been wanting to put artificial palms in the corners of my living/music room but cannot find any which look nice... Can you suggest some real plants which require minimum maintenance and can grow to a height of 4 feet...

I am extremely lazy and know zilch about gardening/plants... Your suggestions would be much appreciated...

Some of the most hardy plants that survive neglect and can grow up a decent size are:

1. Philodendrons - Put a moss still and watch them grow.
2. Snake Plants

There are a few more, but as you said you are extremely lazy, I guess these should work best for you. Just put them somewhere they can get a decent amount of indirect light, and you are set to go. I have successfully grown them in my bathroom as well.

Thanks,

Thank you sir for the suggestions... How tall can the snale plant grow? Google says they are ideal for improving the air quality and therefore that is a huge bonus...

Some of the most hardy plants that survive neglect and can grow up a decent size are:

1. Philodendrons - Put a moss still and watch them grow.
2. Snake Plants

There are a few more, but as you said you are extremely lazy, I guess these should work best for you. Just put them somewhere they can get a decent amount of indirect light, and you are set to go. I have successfully grown them in my bathroom as well.

Thanks,

Please suggest a link from where I can purchase the above home indoor plants, thanks in anticipation.

Snake plants can grow upto 4 feet. The one in my bathroom is over 3 feet. The best to do is to get out there and pick one up from the nursery, as most online places will send some really small plants. Also it is better to pick up from a nursery as you will have the option to choose a nice pot, potting material and the works! Regardless, if you would still rather pick one up from the eGarden, visit this website: nurserylive.com - buy 6000+ nursery plants, seeds, bulbs, pots & planters online in India.

Just when I had decided on real plants, Mahesh you have put a dampener.... You do have a point though and that was the reason why I was looking at artificial plants earlier... damn I am back to square one

@MPW - with all due respect, I do not fully agree with you. I have plenty of plants in my house and office. With a little care and ensuring that you have no standing water anywhere in the pots, you can almost eliminate that possibility. Most mosquitoes lay eggs in water or near a water body, but for the larvae to survive, water is almost a necessity. So as far as you stick to the basics, you are good.

Now, plants do provde a nice place to mosquitoes to hide during the day, they do; but so do your sofas, beds, curtains and anything that can be dark, accessible and cooler than the temps outside.

Someone has already suggested Philodendron Monstera or the so called Split Leaf Philodendron...a Ficus Benjamina (Weeping Fig) would also look classy...

Peace Lily is also something that can be tried as an indoor plant if you a re looking something like a flower plant. It brightens up the living room or where ever it is kept.

Peace Lily or Spathiphyllum looks good even without the white flower (spathe) because the leaves are dark and shiny and grow copiously...however it needs good water management for healthy foliage... and care should be taken to keep it off pets as it is considered toxic to cats and dogs......

How about anthurium for an exotic dash of color...the flowers last quite long too...

Try the dwarf Bamboo varieties or Ponytail palm. They'll look awesome in the corners. If you're worried about mosquitoes, Citronella and Lemongrass are excellent repellents. Also have some Marigolds in the patio. You can have herbs like Oregano, Sage, Thyme, Basil on the kitchen counter and they also work as repellents.

Don't buy anything online, it'll cost you a lot. Visit the local nursery in your area. Support your local farmers and nurseries :)

Currently, HT room is under construction. Here are some photos from Google :D

71.jpg

Looks like they've Lemongrass at the back of sofa so no insects there.

On-wall%20screen%20home%20theater%20installation.jpg

This palm looks amazing in the right, you can get a Ponytail Palm installed there. It won't grow more than 4ft. in medium sized container.

119d4b650da909d01904d3e91a896061.jpg

OMG :eek: Looks like this guy still lives in Stone Age. You might find a snake coiling around your leg while watching movies, that's 4D.

modern-Japanese-living-room-with-white-seating-and-coffee-table-and-end-table-and-rug-and-lcd-tv-and-dvd-storage-and-indoor-plants-and-wall-art-and-led-lighting.jpg

Snake plants placed just at the corners of the room will be an acoustic treat for that room.

designlovefest-house7.jpg

Mowgli's place :D

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back