Inductors made to order?

Hi all,

Do you have any source who will build air-core inductors to order if I specify the mH (or uH) value and the gauge of wire (16 SWG preferred)? Corrson used to do this, but now I am not aware of anyone else.

I have a couple of sources in Bombay who will take mechanical dimensions and wind the coils, but I will have to give them the inner diameter, coil length, and number of turns. When I get such coils done, I have to spend an hour unwinding and measuring them, because they are never accurate -- the winding chaps do not use an LCR meter.

So, do you know of anyone, preferably in Bombay, who will wind based on a value, or someone elsewhere who will do this and ship the coils to me?

I've a mechanic in my neighborhood who says he can make custom build inductors, air-core or any other bobbin types. He specializes in smaller coils for the various industries in and around my area.

Hope you might find this useful

Cheers!
BK

A source for inductors in Mumbai - Mr Dayanand - 9833429845 (Goregaon East). I recently got toroidal transformers and R-Core transformers from him. He said he winds inductors for speaker crossovers. Please check if he can meet your needs.

A source for inductors in Mumbai - Mr Dayanand - 9833429845 (Goregaon East). I recently got toroidal transformers and R-Core transformers from him. He said he winds inductors for speaker crossovers. Please check if he can meet your needs.
This is a BIG help!!! Thanks man!

Spoke with him just now. He is actually a company, not a one-man establishment. They are reachable at [email protected] -- and they make stuff in small quantities. :-D Am asking him for quotes right now.

I've a mechanic in my neighborhood who says he can make custom build inductors, air-core or any other bobbin types. He specializes in smaller coils for the various industries in and around my area.

Cheers!
BK

I am also from Chennai. Have sent you a PM. Please PM me or post his contact number. Thanks in advance.

Cheers

Mano

Now all we need is a good & reliable source for polypropylene caps and then...
Have you checked the catalog of capacitors on theaudiocrafts.com? They seem to have a fairly good range. Will beat the cheap Indian DEC/MER mylar capacitors any day.

Have you checked the catalog of capacitors on theaudiocrafts.com? They seem to have a fairly good range. Will beat the cheap Indian DEC/MER mylar capacitors any day.
Yes, I did. I forgot to add "cheap" to "good and reliable". Wishful thinking I guess.

Cheers!
BK

Oops! Missed to add his contanct details.

He is Mr.Babu from Ambattur; he can be reached @ 9444132966

Hello MJ23Bulls

Thanks for the contact information. It is very much appreciated.

Cheers

Mano

Spoke with him just now. He is actually a company, not a one-man establishment. They are reachable at [email protected] -- and they make stuff in small quantities. :-D Am asking him for quotes right now.
My last update was on 7 April, where I had spoken with Dayanand and everything sounded promising. Today, after two and a half weeks, I have completely given up on the gentleman. He turned out to be impossible to do business with, at least for my case. I tried following up with him, just coaxing him to give me a response. In all this time, he has not had the time or energy to give me an estimate for the five pairs of inductors I wanted him to wind for me. Even when he used to promise to call me back "in half an hour with the estimate", he never did. In this period, he never wrote an email to me or called me even once. And he never managed to give me an estimate. I must have called him five times. I will never contact this firm again, at least for coils.

In all my interaction with him, he never sounded dumb, nor indifferent, and never rude. He just seemed scatter-brained.

Mind you, the order would not have been cheap -- the total amount will exceed the price of a small or mid-sized toroidal transformer for a power amp. I have two coils of 2mH and two of 1.5mH, with 16 SWG wire, in addition to smaller coils.

So, yesterday, I asked diyaudiocart whether they will do the coils, and got a positive reply. I will share with you how it goes.

Bought a set of JFX polypropylene film capacitors from theaudiocrafts.com . They seem to be very well built. Seem much better than the DEC/MER yellow caps we usually use. Am looking forward to the build.

Cheers!
BK

Oops! Missed to add his contanct details.

He is Mr.Babu from Ambattur; he can be reached @ 9444132966

Actually, even my contact has expressed his inability to make just a couple of pairs of these inductors as he is busy with the summer season's industrial requirements. However, Bijin has made them for me. Many thanks to Bijin!

BK

Got a chance to look at the inductors closely finally, and do some measurements.

The inductors are well made. 18 SWG, therefore even the big 2 mH ones are not too heavy. Tied with cable ties. The ends of the leads are not tinned. So I scraped off the varnish and did some measurements with Speaker Workshop. A 300 uH coil measured 30x uH, and a 2 mH coil measure 2.07x mH. Accuracy of values is excellent.

Shipping cost from Kerala by road to me (Bombay) were a very modest amount. Pricing was very attractive -- I don't know whether Bijin did any markup at all over the price of copper. :)

I think I now have a reliable source of air-core inductors. :)

Today, after two and a half weeks, I have completely given up on the gentleman. He turned out to be impossible to do business with, at least for my case.

This is surprising. Just last week I ordered a new 15-0-15V toroidal from Dayanand and I got it, home delivered, last Saturday:)

This is surprising. Just last week I ordered a new 15-0-15V toroidal from Dayanand and I got it, home delivered, last Saturday:)
I suspected that he might be much better when delivering standard products which they make, e.g. transformers, than for hand-wound custom ordered inductors. I may check him out again, when I need transformers, but never for inductors.

In the case of inductors, he was clueless about basic issues, like what size of bobbin to use ("Will you accept a 10mm dia square bobbin? Why have you asked for large internal diameters? 2 inches internal diameter is too big!"), how to measure the inductor ("We can't measure any value bigger than 1 mH, our LCR meter does not read such values") and so on. And finally, he never gave me a quote. I got tired of him finally.

He gave me a strong impression that he does not know how to manage his own time and tasks. I am sure these are not problems when he sells stuff which he makes regularly.

Last edited:
Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back