Info about Technics SL-Q33 Turntable

Saket

Hello Guys,

I am being offered a Technics SL-Q33 turntable for 6K. I have not seen the player personally but the seller says that the auto function doesnt works. THe tone arm has to be manually lifted & placed on the records. I can live with it ( will try to repair it if the deal materializes).

I would like members of the forum to comment on this player and is it the right price for it esp. sans the auto functions.
Also please recommend what other devices i would need to play music on this turntable.
Also open to new deals for buying a used technics if any member is interested.

Thanks & regards,
Saket

Technics Direct Drives are really good turntables if they are in good shape. The "Q" in the serial number signifies that it is quartz controlled. They are built like tanks and will last a life time (or many more) if maintained well. However I must caution that mechanical trouble may be difficult to fix as spare parts are difficult to come by. It would depend on what the root cause of failure of the auto-function is. If managing with manual operation is ok with you, it should be a great buy. For pricing, check out my post on this thread, it will give you some idea (8th post on the page). You have also not mentioned what cartridge your technics TT is fitted with and the condition of the stylus. That would also impact the price.

http://www.hifivision.com/phono-turntables/27080-got-few-lps-now-looking-tt-2.html

so its a combination of cosmetics (including physical damage & wear and tear), functionality, cartridge and stylus, connecting cables, whether 110volts or 220volts model (most technics TTs are switchable between both), etc.

Hope this helps, thanks.

Hello Guys,

I am being offered a Technics SL-Q33 turntable for 6K. I have not seen the player personally but the seller says that the auto function doesnt works. THe tone arm has to be manually lifted & placed on the records. I can live with it ( will try to repair it if the deal materializes).

I would like members of the forum to comment on this player and is it the right price for it esp. sans the auto functions.
Also please recommend what other devices i would need to play music on this turntable.
Also open to new deals for buying a used technics if any member is interested.

Thanks & regards,
Saket

Thanks man again for your help. By the way, how about an SL-1300 MK-I with Shure 92 Cart. What should be the approx price for this set up if assumed that its working fine & no major cosmetic blemishes? How is the cartridge rated?

Thanks man again for your help. By the way, how about an SL-1300 MK-I with Shure 92 Cart. What should be the approx price for this set up if assumed that its working fine & no major cosmetic blemishes? How is the cartridge rated?

This is more like it! 1300 will not come cheap, though. A friend of mine bought it less than a a year ago, for what I thought was obscene amount of money. But he is happy. It replaced his beloved Pioneer PL220.

Whatever you buy, do make sure that it is in perfect working condition. And in good cosmetic condition too. It is almost impossible to find technicians in India who repair turntables. The only viable repair option is DIY.

SL1300 MK1 is should not be as expensive as the SL1300 MK2 on the used market. Assume the cart is a Shure M92E. This is an entry level cart which retails for under $50 in the United States, but is quite good for regular listening. A friend of mine recently had his SL1300 MK2 (with a custom external PSU) up for around 20k.

You are right. TTs esp. complex ones like technics can be quite a task to repair. By the way, my hunt for technics is still on. Also worried about its handling during shipping...last thing I would want is to pay good money and get a damaged TT!!

Regards,
Saket

Hi Saket,
Go for Technics SL-1300 MK1 if you are getting it in a fair price and condition is good.Almost every SL-1300 MK2 has a problem with lift arm mechanism and its tricky to repair.Sl-1300 is a great table and weighs almost 12 kg with minimum plastic parts.Just make sure it runs at a proper speed.

Regards,
Sachin

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back