Information about Logitech Z5500D

bobby0909

Hello everyone

I wanted to know about the Logitech Z5500D 5.1 THX certified speakers for use with my desktop PC.I am planning to use them during playback of downloaded movies which have surround sound.These speakers are intented for use for a single person.

How good are they for music playback.My listening area is very small i.e. 8'*12'*10'(w*l*h).I would like members of this forum to share their experience if they own one of this or have reviewed one.Please share the pros and cons also.Suggest any alternatives also.

Thanks in advance.:)

Upper end at least in terms of PC speakers. The bass is way too high for general music and gaming. Not watched movies on it since I have a HT system. If you like it loud and with lots of bass you will definitely enjoy it, but note its not very refined and will not win any points from an audiophile.

You can take a look at Audioengine A5 in the same budget. Much more refined, but only 2.0.

Downloaded movies mostly do not have 5.1 channel audio. I am not sure about gaming as that is one thing that I never get catch on. For music 5.1 computer speakers are the bottom of the totem pole.

So you still need a 5.1 setup?

If still yes, try the Klipsch Promedia setup.

I would personnaly go for a good 2.0 system like the audio engine and a good sound card (asus xonar d2, esi- juli@ are getting lot of airtime lately from different satisfied users).

Hello everyone

I wanted to know about the Logitech Z5500D 5.1 THX certified speakers for use with my desktop PC.I am planning to use them during playback of downloaded movies which have surround sound.These speakers are intented for use for a single person.

How good are they for music playback.My listening area is very small i.e. 8'*12'*10'(w*l*h).I would like members of this forum to share their experience if they own one of this or have reviewed one.Please share the pros and cons also.Suggest any alternatives also.

Thanks in advance.:)

Logitech Z5500D 5.1 is supposed to have Dolby Pro-Logic II which can upconvert any input to surround sound. How good is this arrangement for a single person environment using desktop PC.

One general question:As the system is THX certified ,is it superior to any other 5.1 system like the Klipsch Promedia?

Logitech Z5500D 5.1 is supposed to have Dolby Pro-Logic II which can upconvert any input to surround sound.

This is present is just about any decent AVR and what it does is take 2 channel input and output it to 5.1, it is useful for playing CDs, mp3s and music on a 5.1 system, but not really needed since music is better in a 2.0 setting.

How good is this arrangement for a single person environment using desktop PC.

Depends on your personal preference. Basically what it does is make the sound come from all the 5.1 speakers instead of just the front left and front right speakers and it does make more sense to use all the speakers rather than just a couple of them when you are paying for the entire lot.

One general question:As the system is THX certified ,is it superior to any other 5.1 system like the Klipsch Promedia?

Not really. Some companies like Bose have never gotten THX certification for any of their products (read it somewhere but open to correction here). THX certification is like the ISO certification, just has the George Lucas' seal of approval that the speakers/equipment are manufactured up to their standards. This obviously means the products are good and certain manufacturing standards/protocols as mandated by George Lucas and his studio have been adhered to. Still I would not rate the Logitech Z5500 very high. Even Creative has comparable THX certified speakers in their GigaWorks, but none in audiophile territory. Do take a look at Audioengine A5 if you can. Amazing speakers and cost just about the same.

Its been a year that i have been using the Z5500 speakers along with my PC. I have an AOC 416 v 24 in full hd LCD and the z5500 is a gr8 compliment to it. I mostly watch 1080p and 720p MKV files from my pc. The sound is amazing for a PC speaker. I got it for Rs.14500 from ebay. I m 100% satisfied with the little monster.:cool:

Its been a year that i have been using the Z5500 speakers along with my PC. I have an AOC 416 v 24 in full hd LCD and the z5500 is a gr8 compliment to it. I mostly watch 1080p and 720p MKV files from my pc. The sound is amazing for a PC speaker. I got it for Rs.14500 from ebay. I m 100% satisfied with the little monster.:cool:

Hi rob2651983

Can u share a few things with me.

1) How is the PC connected to the z5500?

2) Can these speakers cover a room of 12'x16' for movies and music from the PC.I mean can they replace sattelite speakers which come with HTIBs? How is the sub and sattellite integration?Are they very strict about positioning?Is the sweet spot good for two people?

3) How is the AOC 416 v 24" LCD when watching 1080p and 720p MKV files?

4) What media player are you using for MKV files playback?

Wanted to know these facts from a user and thanks in advance.:)

Hi rob2651983

Can u share a few things with me.

1) How is the PC connected to the z5500?

2) Can these speakers cover a room of 12'x16' for movies and music from the PC.I mean can they replace sattelite speakers which come with HTIBs? How is the sub and sattellite integration?Are they very strict about positioning?Is the sweet spot good for two people?

3) How is the AOC 416 v 24" LCD when watching 1080p and 720p MKV files?

4) What media player are you using for MKV files playback?

Wanted to know these facts from a user and thanks in advance.:)

1) The Pc is connected via 6 channel direct (3 stereo-mini connectors) for 2, 4, or 6 channel PC sound card. the speakers also give an option for Digital optical and Digital coaxial imputs.

2) My own room is 17x13. I have connected the 4 sat speakers in four corners, the center in the front center and the sub near the front right wall. With this setup i have to keep the speaker volume at just 25% of max and its enough for movies and music. The Sub is a monster. You will need to tone it done a lot. The sub can be kept any where in the room (u may need additional wiring). Having said that, the speakers are quite flexible.

3) The AOC 416v is quite good for HD content. However u can not expect it to be anywhere near an lcd tv (Sony/Samsung). Its is a PC monitor. When I bought the monitor I did a lot of research for about 3 months and compared it with 24 ViewSonic, Samsung, LG, Dell and BenQ monitors. It is how ever the best value for money. I got it about 1.5 yrs back. But if u ask me, now I L go for an LCD TV from Samsung/Sony or LG as the prices have gone down.

4) I use Media Player Classic, AC3Filter and CoreAVC video filters.

I would suggest you go for Klipsch promedia I own one for the last 6yrs now dont thk any of the other speakers can match it when it comes to performance on comps.

Its not marketed as well as Logitech so not many people in India knows about it and I would say its a lot more musical than Logitech.

And yes its THX certified and was the first computer speaker to ever get that certification if thats important. Try and listen to both and make up your mind and btw both can play plenty loud and fill any medium sized room if ie what you mean by covering your room.

ProMedia GMX A-2.1

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back