Information asymmetry in consumer electronics

Donivlapog

Some people buy electronics without knowing more about the technology, subtleties, price points, functionalities, or even the rational behind why they chose that product over its peers. This forum helps a lot for those in lookout for information and suggestions but most household folks outside this netland, dont even bother doing a research before making an informed decision over their product shortlisting or choices or an idea of the alternatives available. While show rooms benefit from such blind decisions, it is frustrating to think how so many consumers are ending up buying not so satisfactory products. My question is why are people not given a basic idea about electronics and some key factors that needs consideration even at secondary education levels?

Some people buy electronics without knowing more about the technology, subtleties, price points, functionalities, or even the rational behind why they chose that product over its peers. This forum helps a lot for those in lookout for information and suggestions but most household folks outside this netland, dont even bother doing a research before making an informed decision over their product shortlisting or choices or an idea of the alternatives available. While show rooms benefit from such blind decisions, it is frustrating to think how so many consumers are ending up buying not so satisfactory products. My question is why are people not given a basic idea about electronics and some key factors that needs consideration even at secondary education levels?
It’s true of everything not just consumer electronics. And there’s sufficient knowledge given to high school students to empower them to learn enough to make these informed decisions. Obvious there’s the quality of learning at play. As is curiosity, intelligence and other acquired attributes. The rest takes more technical learning which cannot be taught as “general education.” Ever wondered which detergent you should buy and why?

It’s true of everything not just consumer electronics. And there’s sufficient knowledge given to high school students to empower them to learn enough to make these informed decisions. Obvious there’s the quality of learning at play. As is curiosity, intelligence and other acquired attributes. The rest takes more technical learning which cannot be taught as “general education.” Ever wondered which detergent you should buy and why?
Some basic things can be taught at schooling itself. Why do schools have to teach stuff that are not in daily use. How many times you use log book or integral calculus in daily life. But yes which detergent to buy may be a practical lesson used on a daily basis. And if they are taught basics of day to day consumer goods and electronics and their inner mechanism, price and the trending features that are preferred, it would be a more practical lesson.

"When Boss commands the chelas follow";)

I have put forth my suggestions in the above link. A nice initiative indeed.

Last edited:
Some basic things can be taught at schooling itself. Why do schools have to teach stuff that are not in daily use. How many times you use log book or integral calculus in daily life. But yes which detergent to buy may be a practical lesson used on a daily basis. And if they are taught basics of day to day consumer goods and electronics and their inner mechanism, price and the trending features that are preferred, it would be a more practical lesson.
Well, no high school people can understand anything about sound for example if they didn’t understand the log scale. imho everything taught in school before grade 11 is quite essential, even if taught rather badly and without the right teachers. The skill that is needed for what you ask for is called critical thinking and problem solving. But without basic math skills, basic physics, chemistry, general awareness, reading and communication skills, no critical thinking is possible. So the tools for thinking and information acquisition alas need to be acquired. I spend a lot of time working on this, so have some basis to reflect, however this might not be the right place for such dialogue :)

Well, no high school people can understand anything about sound for example if they didn’t understand the log scale. imho everything taught in school before grade 11 is quite essential, even if taught rather badly and without the right teachers. The skill that is needed for what you ask for is called critical thinking and problem solving. But without basic math skills, basic physics, chemistry, general awareness, reading and communication skills, no critical thinking is possible. So the tools for thinking and information acquisition alas need to be acquired. I spend a lot of time working on this, so have some basis to reflect, however this might not be the right place for such dialogue :)
Do they even explain why they have to understand calculus? Mozart's symphony according to Einstein cannot be explained by variance or standard deviation in wind pressure statistics. It has to connect as music. Similarly a coherent and structured lesson dealing with day to day electronics is more useful than disection of a frog or a litmus test or titration class in chemistry lab, according to me. Should a student be given practical and as you suggest critical reasoning or thinking lesson, when he runs a family he wouldn't 'blindly' buy whats supposedly sold at higher prices for entry level stuff sold by sales executives as cutting edge or state of the art technology while he is sold some Hyder Ali times dated gadgets for hefty price.

I am going to look into this and solicit some suggestions. Thanks for the link.

You cannot solicit suggestions there; you need to give suggestions.

You're welcome!
Ok. I will give suggestions! All these are solicitations though. There is no guarantee of taking these suggestions into effect or me a member of an elite group whose suggestions will change the dynamics of the curriculum.

The issue with most school curriculums is that the application of theory is completely ignored.
Calculus is a good example. In reality, it drives every aspect of our lives, but most have no clue what it is.

My question is why are people not given a basic idea about electronics and some key factors that needs consideration even at secondary education levels?
In general, we need more life skills education at secondary and college level. Including ‘Decision making’ of which ‘purchase decisions’ is a particular case. This could include ‘establishing objectives & budget’, ‘information gathering’, ‘comparative analysis’, ‘trying & finalising’.

There are so many other critical life skills that we never learn at school/college. ‘Personal Productivity/Self Management’ for example. Or ‘Career Construction’. Or home skills such as ‘Basic Wiring/Plumbing/Masonry/Carpentry’. Or ‘Social skills’. Or ‘Personal Finance Management. Why, no one teaches us ‘Parenting’ which is such a critical ability!

Our education system is entirely based around ‘imparting knowledge’. It hardly focuses on ‘skills/competency building and application’. Ironically, knowledge can be largely self-learned (the reason why learning apps are flourishing) especially when it is available at finger tips now. It’s the development of skills and attitudes that needs personal facilitation. For that we’d need our ‘teachers’ to be re-skilled as ‘learning and development facilitators’ (training, coaching, mentoring the students). Some progressive schools like the Krishnamurti Foundation schools are moving towards this as I gather.

The issue with most school curriculums is that the application of theory is completely ignored.
Not just at school level, but even college and higher education like engineering (which might be constituting over 60% of professional education in India). On the other hand, some other professional streams such as fine arts, architecture, even medicine have higher (but not necessarily adequate) focus on skill development and application.

I am a product of two top schools - IIT Bombay and SPJIMR, which were in stark contrast on this aspect. While the former has excessive focus on knowledge (concepts, theories… visualise CS101 being taught to 300 students at a time in the convocation hall with ppt slides!), the latter believed in learning and development through application and practice (including not just case study approach, but also rural/social internships, mentoring teenage school students, designing curricula, and running the institute itself!). No guesses on what has served me better in a career of around three decades now.

Last edited:
Do they even explain why they have to understand calculus? Mozart's symphony according to Einstein cannot be explained by variance or standard deviation in wind pressure statistics. It has to connect as music. Similarly a coherent and structured lesson dealing with day to day electronics is more useful than disection of a frog or a litmus test or titration class in chemistry lab, according to me. Should a student be given practical and as you suggest critical reasoning or thinking lesson, when he runs a family he wouldn't 'blindly' buy whats supposedly sold at higher prices for entry level stuff sold by sales executives as cutting edge or state of the art technology while he is sold some Hyder Ali times dated gadgets for hefty price.
Well no chance in hell one will know as a cons
well your statement covers a wide swathe of spaces which preclude definitive answers for everything. One can try, nonetheless. There are two approaches. Teach people to teach themselves (the science and art of learning and reasoning) or teach them specific instruments band tools (vocational skills). The former necessarily requires that the basic tools of knowledge acquisition along with foundational learning about a wide variety of things be taught to the learner m. While the latter focuses on specific outcomes. In case of the latter one can focus on and acquire knowledge about something specific such as say consumer electronics. Now schools cannot really decide which and therefore have extracurriculars for kids to focus on areas of interest. It’s a tricky one. One can pick a detergent based on a thousand people talking about their subjective experiences. I.E. reviews or knowing that detergents are essentially surfactants and can be given other features via new ingredients and tech or the perhaps via new underlying principles. It’s a different way of getting to the same answer. In the first case the chooser will never know why. In the latter a chooser will back into a subjective choice with some knowledge. I prefer the latter and therefore i prefer the knowledge acquisition route. In Germany for instance I think right after gymnasium people split into formal education or vocations. That’s quite a decent approach but leaves those who choose vacations without an easy path to get back into the formal stream. It’s a tough one, this.

In general, we need more life skills education at secondary and college level. Including ‘Decision making’ of which ‘purchase decisions’ is a particular case. This could include ‘establishing objectives & budget’, ‘information gathering’, ‘comparative analysis’, ‘trying & finalising’.

There are so many other critical life skills that we never learn at school/college. ‘Personal Productivity/Self Management’ for example. Or ‘Career Construction’. Or home skills such as ‘Basic Wiring/Plumbing/Masonry/Carpentry’. Or ‘Social skills’. Or ‘Personal Finance Management. Why, no one teaches us ‘Parenting’ which is such a critical ability!

Our education system is entirely based around ‘imparting knowledge’. It hardly focuses on ‘skills/competency building and application’. Ironically, knowledge can be largely self-learned (the reason why learning apps are flourishing) especially when it is available at finger tips now. It’s the development of skills and attitudes that needs personal facilitation. For that we’d need our ‘teachers’ to be re-skilled as ‘learning and development facilitators’ (training, coaching, mentoring the students). Some progressive schools like the Krishnamurti Foundation schools are moving towards this as I gather.

Not just at school level, but even college and higher education like engineering (which might be constituting over 60% of professional education in India). On the other hand, some other professional streams such as fine arts, architecture, even medicine have higher (but not necessarily adequate) focus on skill development and application.

I am a product of two top schools - IIT Bombay and SPJIMR, which were in stark contrast on this aspect. While the former has excessive focus on knowledge (concepts, theories… visualise CS101 being taught to 300 students at a time in the convocation hall with ppt slides!), the latter believed in learning and development through application and practice (including not just case study approach, but also rural/social internships, mentoring teenage school students, designing curricula, and running the institute itself!). No guesses on what has served me better in a career of around three decades now.
I am rather a fan of the US graduate education system, where the big skill people learn is to acquire knowledge in order to solve a problem. So they’ll always start with a problem (which may be entirely theoretical or applied) and then learn what they need, to get at it. Lest that sound too simple - alas knowledge acquisition is rather a non linear process, and quite random in many a case. MECE (mutually exclusive collectively exhaustive) cannot effectively be deployed unless problems are bounded.

The system of “research” is almost exactly that - working on unbounded or loosely bounded problems.

The other thing a good US graduate school teaches is being able to read vastly and fast and parse information really well to organize it into a system of knowledge. Catch is, they don’t really reach any of it - that’s what you end up doing if you are a serious student :). A little hint here, a debate in the classroom, cases and assignments etc form the framework of knowledge gathering. The problem of course is it takes time and appears entirely useless to most people.

The difference is I suppose the same as between a technician and an engineer. A technician can repair anything without knowing the why. An engineer on the other hand (a good engineer at least) has the capacity to invent and innovate. A technician not equipped with the same skills may not be able to do so. Which is not to say that it requires a US grad school to learn these skills. They can be entirely self taught, and in many an instance, are.

Back