Inner Groove Distortion

Hi Sandeep,

Ah yes, dust does settle sometimes but I Onzow the stylus after each side, it being so easy. Though I did play a few dirty records before cleaning way way back but not sure the number would be enough to cause trouble. The cart is bout 2 or so years old I guess. Whenever I try the Blue Point again, I'll try getting new cart screws first to rule that out. The OM5E sounds surprisingly good! A bit 'light' but will definitely do. Good thing I had a spare. Had it for bout 2-3 years unopened.

Regards

The OM5E is a excellent starter cartridge. I don't think there can be any cartridge that can sound so good at the price of the Ortofon.

Hi Mahiruha!

Good to see you active now and again :)

Well my thinking is test records offer unreal conditions eg a single frequency whereas usual music has many frequencies thus groove shape will differ. So the test standard itself differs from normal records. However this is armchair theorizing. Intend to get that test lp one day to see :)

Regards

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Steven,
I see your point but this test record is good one box solution to set up your cartridge and I think irrespective of the method you use it has to pass the tests to play music properly. Infact it also has a test track covering entire frequency spectrum. Actually another intresting product that has caught my attention is Cartright from soundsmith.
Cartright - Easy Cartridge Alignment from The Soundsmith

I still must admit I hate the affair of changing cartridge because it is a very fiddly and a bit random affair.:)
Thanks.

Actually test tones/signals are needed to test the responses of an audio device, mainly for simplification and standardisation of the test methodologies. For example, rise and fall times are measured using a 10 kHz square wave, intermodulation is measured by feeding the device simultaneously 19 and 20 kHz tones, the harmonics of a device are measured by feeding it a 50 Hz tone, gain response is measured using a sweep frequency from DC to 20 kHz (or even more), etc. And speaker sensitivity is measured using a 2.83V signal at 1 kHz, heard at 1 meter. And so on.

The unwritten assumption is that, for example, if a speaker sensitivity is x dB at 1 meter using a 1 kHz tone, it will be replicated almost similarly across the audio band. Of course sensitivity varies across the frequency spectrum but no manufacturer seemed bothered to publish. If gain curve can be measured, I am sure sensitivity curve can also be measured by keeping the amplitude of the input constant. The other side of the argument could be, "how relevant and useful is it to have sensitivity curve across the entire audio band?"

Joshua

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back