Interest check for 4 months old KEF Q300 and KEF Q100

john_k_antony

Dear Friends,

I would like to put 2 pairs of KEF Q300 and 2 pairs of KEF Q100 up on sale here. Before starting a sale thread, I would like to do an interest check and get a good sale price to start.

About the speakers

Condition : Near Mint. One pair of Q300 has their drivers replaced with in warranty.
Usage : Less than 30 hours.
Availablility : 2 pairs of KEF Q300 and 2 pairs of KEF Q100.
Reason for Sale : I bought this package for 7.1 home theater setup. Unfortunately, they cannot fill my dedicated HT room (24' x 15.5') with reference level movie sound. I need to get very high efficient speakers to fill my dedicated room. I need speakers with sensitivity 95db+ to fill my room with my current amplification.

If you are interested, please go through the following thread that might give you an idea why I am putting these speakers on sale -

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/47180-unexpected-disappointing-performance-kef-q300.html

http://www.hifivision.com/speakers/48005-please-help-me-make-right-home-theater-setup-decision.html

These speakers are purchased from ProFx, Bangalore with original bill and warranty.

I would really appreciate your advice on a reasonable sale price I can expect. If the price is too low, I don't want to let them go, because they are fantastic stereo speakers and I can use them to for a mini stereo setup in all my bedrooms :D.

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
about a month or 45 days back i came across two sets of Kef Q300s with two diff people. Both were about 6 months old. One was with warranty and other was a imported piece without warranty. One with the indian warranty was quoted for 30k final and the other one without indian warranty was quoted for 28k final. I think you can easily get 27 to 28k or little more for the non repaired piece. Price of new one after discount must be around 38k.

I suggest you go for a step by step sale instead of selling all at one. This way you might get reasonable price.

Sorry for being Off topic... Trying to understand why your speakers unable to fill your room size..... If you say 2 speakers are unable to fill your room size agreed... But 7.1 speakers unable to fill your room size... Something not right there....

I think rather then the speakers your avr is at fault for not giving you room filling sound

For fun sake, try to get any power amp for demo and see how is the performamce with your speakers with your avr being a pre

I guess the kefs are not that power hungry speakers

John, you are trying to solve the wrong problem.

The speakers are not at fault. They are sensitive enough. Unless your amp is really not up to the job, in which case you should loan and try another amp first.

In my mind you may have too much of absorption leading to a dead room. Get rid of some absorbers and replace them with appropriate diffusers, the room and the sound in the room will be alive again.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

I do have a stereo power amp that I use with my KEF iQ7 FS. I tried connecting them to KEF Q300 and at higher volume levels (not insanely high, but high enough to fill the room), they are moving very vigorously and you feel like the diaphragm will pop out any time. While at the same volume, KEF iQ7 diaphragm just move fine and you can only see the woofer making some movement.

Regarding the acoustics in the room, I agree that it is definitely reducing the SPL to some extend. BTW, I have not done too much of absorption. Only the side wall have absorbers and that too just 4' tall and 4" thick with 1" air gap from the wall. Everything else is reflectors. My ceiling though is completely absorbing with acoustic false ceiling. And I have 6" deep, 4 corner bass traps that run from floor to ceiling.

This acoustic treatment is giving me fantastic room filling stereo performance from the KEF iQ7 floor standers connected to a 75w/ch power amp paired with a DIY Pass B1 pre. I don't want to alter the acoustic treatment and sacrifice the 2 channel stereo performance.

I was seriously considering getting a more powerful amp like the Emotive XPA or UPA. But after I see the diaphragm movement in the KEF Q300 at higher volumes with my 75w/ch stereo amp, I decided not to do that. I am not able to enjoy my movies. All the time, I will be thinking that a sudden action sequence will come in a movie that will blow my speakers.

BTW, I am taking the speakers to ProFx main service center to see if there is any manufacturing defect with the speakers. Even I am not convinced by what is happening with my KEFs.

Thanks,
John.

Last edited:
about a month or 45 days back i came across two sets of Kef Q300s with two diff people. Both were about 6 months old. One was with warranty and other was a imported piece without warranty. One with the indian warranty was quoted for 30k final and the other one without indian warranty was quoted for 28k final. I think you can easily get 27 to 28k or little more for the non repaired piece. Price of new one after discount must be around 38k.

I suggest you go for a step by step sale instead of selling all at one. This way you might get reasonable price.

Thanks for the info Amit.

Even I was thinking of 30-32K for Q300 and 25-26K for Q100.

-John.

FWIW, Snapdeal has the Q300 for Rs 30,360 and the Q100 for Rs 24,840.

John, can you tell me if the Q100 can be wall mounted for ambient stereo music playback? I was planning to go with Dali Zensor 1 which, I believe, are available for around Rs 20,000 (Am I right there?).

Last edited:
FWIW, Snapdeal has the Q300 for Rs 30,360 and the Q100 for Rs 24,840.

These are very old prices. The new MRP is 43K and 35K respectively and you get a max of 10-12% discount if you want to get them with bill and warranty. I don't think you can get a brand new pair for less than 38K and 31K respectively.

I am planning to put them on sale at 32K and 26K respectively :). That is around 25% less than the current MRP.

John, can you tell me if the Q100 can be wall mounted for ambient stereo music playback? I was planning to go with Dali Zensor 1 which, I believe, are available for around Rs 20,000 (Am I right there?).

Yes they can be wall mounted. I have them wall mounted now as my rear surround speakers.

These are very old prices. The new MRP is 43K and 35K respectively and you get a max of 10-12% discount if you want to get them with bill and warranty. I don't think you can get a brand new pair for less than 38K and 31K respectively.

I am planning to put them on sale at 32K and 26K respectively :). That is around 25% less than the current MRP.

Yes they can be wall mounted. I have them wall mounted now as my rear surround speakers.

Yes, I did see them in your HT thread pics (wonderful reading, that thread!). Would you be able to comment on their being wall mounted for casual stereo music?

@Jeyaraj
Do you know these people? A look at the site does not inspire confidence.
Can you check them out? The are based at Mahim.

^^ I have not met them personally. But from various discussions at this forum, they seem to be good. Pliz check with our FMs denom and magma. They could give much better and reliable information.

Friends,

I finally got a different set of speakers for my HT room (Klipsch Reference package). I have 2 pairs of Q300 and 2 pairs of Q100. I am going to put 1 pair of each model for sale.

I have taken 1 pair of Q300 for my bedroom setup and 1 pair of Q100 for rear surrounds in my 7.1 setup with the Klipsch 5 channel speaker package.

I will soon start a sale thread for 1 pair of Q300 and 1 pair of Q100.

Thanks,
John.

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back