Interest check - Oppo BDP95 with region free kit

I never seen oppo personally but much aware of its A/V capabilities through various forums.
Dumb Question: Practically how much noticeable difference oppo 95 /105 produces in PQ compared to standard BR Player? Have you noticed side by side?

Well, the cheaper OPPO 103 did not exactly knock the socks off the "experts" at What HIFI:

Oppo BDP-103EU review from the experts at whathifi.com

They liked the OPPO 93 better:

Oppo BDP-93EU review from the experts at whathifi.com

They liked the OPPO 95 a lot:

Oppo BDP-95EU review from the experts at whathifi.com

Can't seem to fins an OPPO 105 review on their site.

I don't trust WhatHiFi reviews. They are mostly colored and offer no technical backing on their reviews.

HDTVTest and AVForums are more trustworthy.

I have 2 Oppos in my setup

1. Oppo 93 for Living Room used with a LCD TV and 2 channel stereo amp.
2. Oppo 105 for my HT room used with a Epson TW800 and Denon 2310 AVR.

Reasons I went with Oppo

1. It can spin virtually any disc format, including VCD. VCD was a requirement for me as I have lots of VCDs especially the kids stuff :).
2. Twin HDMI. This was again very important for me as my AVR is not 3D ready and I needed 2 HDMI ports - one for HD 3D video and other one for audio
3. Decent analog sound from Oppo 93.
4. 2 x HDMI IN present in Oppo 105. I can plugin my HD STB and use Oppo as a 3D video receiver.
5. Superior analog 2 channel performance of Oppo 105. I know there are much better ACD spinner available but for the price vs performance, convenience, feature ration, Oppo wins for me.
6. Oppo offers above average or best picture quality and upscaling when comparing similar priced BD players.
7. External HDD support over USB and ability to process verity of audio and video formats including FLAC. A big plus for me.

I am yet to play Oppo 105 as its still not reached me yet.

Now Some issues with Oppo 93

1. Loading time is very bad. Even for a normal ACD, it takes much longer than other player. But once it starts spinning, its just fine. I heard that they fixed this in the newer versions - 103/105.
2. Analog audio performance from Oppo 93 is no better than cheaper Blu ray players. The DAC in Oppo 93 is no better or worse than the DAC in Denon 2301.
3. Long burn in time, especially with Oppo 105 on the analog audio performance.

In a nut shell, I choose Oppo for

1. Features an Convenience.
2. VFM (well this is debatable as some folks think that oppo is expensive. For me its still VFM as I got both of them from US).
3. Above average digital picture and sound compared to similar priced players.
4. High end analog audio performance from Oppo 105 for the money you pay. There are indeed much better performing ACD players, but you have to pay 2-3 times more. And you get lots of stuff from this single deck.

-John.

I never seen oppo personally but much aware of its A/V capabilities through various forums.
Dumb Question: Practically how much noticeable difference oppo 95 /105 produces in PQ compared to standard BR Player? Have you noticed side by side?

not compared side by side. I should first have my display calibrated before going for a comparison. of course I can do a quick comparison. hope to do it on my new projector.

I think I would invest in a better AVR rather than duplicating features in the blue ray player. Will carry on with this only. It would have been better if they didn't stop the ISO playback. Because I was thinking of backing up my BRs.

not compared side by side. I should first have my display calibrated before going for a comparison. of course I can do a quick comparison. hope to do it on my new projector.

I think I would invest in a better AVR rather than duplicating features in the blue ray player. Will carry on with this only. It would have been better if they didn't stop the ISO playback. Because I was thinking of backing up my BRs.
From what I have read in many threads, if you are playing BDs, there is no major difference between Oppo and other BDPs. The difference, if any, is noticeable on large 85"+ TVs/projections. The differences start being measurable in DVD upconversions where the superior video chip of Oppo starts to influence things around.

maybe. I think my onida didn't perform bad at all with blu-rays. Even when watching on projector. but my current projector is 720p - so that's another factor. Hope to upgrade the pj to 1080p soon and then do the comparison.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back