Interference or Electrical ground loop

If it's an EU cable then I have a power cable with an inbuilt EMI/RFI filter .. Although it looks like a wiring issue in your mains as your kitchen power line is interfering with your living room power...

If it's an EU cable then I have a power cable with an inbuilt EMI/RFI filter .. Although it looks like a wiring issue in your mains as your kitchen power line is interfering with your living room power...
Running a direct line from mains would have any issues? I guess that would be easier to do then finding the problem elsewhere?

Hi Vivek,
I am assuming this happens only when the switch for the light/grinder is turned on/off.If so, it is a spike or surge due to switching.Please track the circuits by turning on and off the MCB in your switchboard.The idea is to find out if the grinder and/or the culprit light is on the same circuit as your audio setup.If they share the same circuit,you could try using a different nearby circuit(if practical) for audio to see if the problem goes away. I recommend this,otherwise you might be surprised to find out that the problem still persist even after you have gone with a dedicated line.Please do not remove ground etc on devices unless you are an Electrician and analysed the situation/wiring.Also please accept the fact that if Luxman comes without a ground pin, then it is designed to be so.

Looks like a wiring issue ; I fixed a similar issue by driving a dedicated line from Mains to HT socket and adding a 5kva Servo Stabilizer, whether you're facing any issues or not, A Stabilizer is a must!
Get 4sqmm dedicated line with at least 10A MCB and at least 3kva Servo Stabilizer and see whether the issue disappears, you can ask the same electrician to do all these jobs for you.

Servo Stabilizer generally runs quiet but if possible put it in a different room that's other than HT room ( I've put it in attic above main mcb).
Get a decent power conditioner as next investment.

I dont think he needs to get any equipment or stabilizers to overcome the problem. It seems a wiring problem in house and earthing maybe. Maybe even loose connections inside somewhere. Old houses can have weird electrical problems. A well qualified electrician should be able to find out whats wrong.

Here is the power cord that I got with the amp.

The GROUND on the rear of the amp would be for the phono stage.. to connect the tonearm ground wire to the amp / inbuilt phono..

Can you put a photo of your stock power cord - showing both ends ?
Just posted the pic of the cord. You mentioned some power cable with some filters. Could you please share the brand model of that power cord please?

I dont think he needs to get any equipment or stabilizers to overcome the problem. It seems a wiring problem in house and earthing maybe. Maybe even loose connections inside somewhere. Old houses can have weird electrical problems. A well qualified electrician should be able to find out whats wrong.

It is good to have a stabilizer for the gear especially if you have a single phase as in my case. If the AC or heater is turned on there is a spike which the stabilizer takes care of.

Please show us the photo of the power socket on the amp. Does it have two blades or three blades?
It has 2 prongs. Both on amp and the dac. The DAc power cord I am using is with three pins, since the dac has two prongs so I guess third pin is not used. Today morning again the tubelight caused noise from the speakers, when turned on/off.

If the IEC connector has only two holes then the amp's power socket should also have 2 pins..The plug is not even a schuko EU plug and it seems Luxman is giving a cheap chinese power cable probably costing a dollar with such an expensive amp... I wonder why the Luxman Power cord is not given with their top of the line integrated when the entry level amps get it...

If the IEC connector has only two holes then the amp's power socket should also have 2 pins..The plug is not even a schuko EU plug and it seems Luxman is giving a cheap chinese power cable probably costing a dollar with such an expensive amp... I wonder why the Luxman Power cord is not given with their top of the line integrated when the entry level amps get it...
The power cord really gives a cheap look. Same is with the DAC power cord. Thats also not very good. My subwoofer cable is much superior to this one. I guess I should look for power cords as well.

Volex makes cheap power cables and if you check their website, you will see that they make power cords for all electrical appliances including laptops and mixers/juicers etc etc... However the power cord for your amp has to be a 2 pin plug with a 2 pin IEC connector which is very difficult to find...

My Lyngdorf also came with a cheap 1 USD chinese power cord but atleast Lyngdorf claim to have some sort of Power conditioning in their amp.. Also the cable looks very decent and we'll made even though it's available for 1 USD... The Luxman cord is quite shabby looking...

Both my Luxman 700 amp and c38 pre have only 2 prongs on the power socket in them. Not sure why they have this type of design without the ground. However I don't use the stock power cables, I am using my after market cords which fit perfectly even though the 3rd prong is not there. Also I don't have any ground loops or other noise while using these.
Cheers,
Sid

I think the Volex cable supplied is a 12 euro cable. In the past I have owned a few Volex cables though not this one. And they sounded very good. No issues whatsoever.

It has 2 prongs. Both on amp and the dac. The DAc power cord I am using is with three pins, since the dac has two prongs so I guess third pin is not used. Today morning again the tubelight caused noise from the speakers, when turned on/off.
In my 2nd system in my bedroom, there was buzzing noise in the system when the fan regulator was turned up or down. I used a barracuda power conditioner from FM Magma and this noise was eliminated entirely. Now I am using a sine 30a.
Cheers,
Sid

I had few instances in the past, when the wiring of the house caused problems. Like MCB trips all of a sudeen or some other weird things. I think the easiest and the cleanest would be to have a dedicated power line 10/16 amp from the mains. Please suggest if any specific component is to be installed to do this.

This is what a senior audiophile told me about luxman amps having 2 pin IEC connectors

Japan Follows a System of *Double Insulation*

*Double Insulation* does NOT require a Ground !

You can read upo on the topic via Google

Incidentally, I have observed that when Double Insulation (No Ground) is used, it is essential to ensure that Live and neutral are4 fed to the correct conductors, and if necessary, to flip the 2 pin plug.
Wrong Live and Neutral can lead to a Mild leakage on the chasis... Identifyable by a tester connected to the chasis

This is what a senior audiophile told me about luxman amps having 2 pin IEC connectors

Japan Follows a System of *Double Insulation*

*Double Insulation* does NOT require a Ground !

You can read upo on the topic via Google

Incidentally, I have observed that when Double Insulation (No Ground) is used, it is essential to ensure that Live and neutral are4 fed to the correct conductors, and if necessary, to flip the 2 pin plug.
Wrong Live and Neutral can lead to a Mild leakage on the chasis... Identifyable by a tester connected to the chasis
Interesting to know. Thanks for sharing

Looks like a wiring issue ; I fixed a similar issue by driving a dedicated line from Mains to HT socket and adding a 5kva Servo Stabilizer, whether you're facing any issues or not, A Stabilizer is a must!
Get 4sqmm dedicated line with at least 10A MCB and at least 3kva Servo Stabilizer and see whether the issue disappears, you can ask the same electrician to do all these jobs for you.

Servo Stabilizer generally runs quiet but if possible put it in a different room that's other than HT room ( I've put it in attic above main mcb).
Get a decent power conditioner as next investment.
You are using 5kva for the mains supply to home or just for the audio components?

Wharfedale Linton Heritage Speakers in Walnut finish at a Special Offer Price. BUY now before the price increase.
Back