Interference or Electrical ground loop

Thats perfectly ok, no need to buy anything if things you have work well and you dont find anything wrong. Afterall why bother with these things if one is already satisfied.
I am already happy with my system. It's much more better than my last system. I would.just buy only reasonably priced cables. And to test my self Rca vs XLR. Apart from that I am good.

Why don't you make your own XLR? You should need to spend no more than 5k for a top quality cable (Mogami + Neutrix (bought from the US though). And you will learn a few things along the way.

I am already happy with my system. It's much more better than my last system. I would.just buy only reasonably priced cables. And to test my self Rca vs XLR. Apart from that I am good.

Rca vs xlr you should definetely find difference.

I think no but may be I am wrong. What I think is the live wire is in contact with the earth wire somewhere in the conduits. That is why the earth wire is not neutral anymore. Just my opinion.I think I dont have ELCBs just MCBs only.
Depends on the voltage between earth and neutral.under 5 volts is normal.infact it should be at least 1.5 v .No voltage or full (240v) indicates a break in neutral depending on the point in the circuit at which the check is done.MCB should trip on a phase to neutral/earth fault.But this depends on the fault current generated. which depends on the fault loop impedance,size of the MCB etc.If not designed properly with above factors,the fault will be present with full voltage,but not enough current will be present to trip the breaker etc .Dont worry about all these.Please Check the voltage between neutral and earth.

I agree, no manufacturer will supply a product with under-performing accessories. It will defeat the very purpose of their equipment. The cable industry has a lot of pseudo- scientific mumbo-jumbo explanations to sell their product (Infamous Nordost demos being one). Of-course there are exceptions to this - where there are reliable manufacturers (Shunyata comes to mind - supplying power cords/equipment to life support equipment etc.) - but overall IMO majority are just pretty products/artisan manufacturers playing on subjective impressions rather than scientific objective ones.
Cheers,
Sid
From an Electrical point of view,the only idea of a power cord is to supply the current required without dropping the voltage.Does not matter if it is cheap or expensive,made of normal or exotic material ,if it is of right size with required insulation,then it will do the job.I am not convinced how an expensive power cord can make things different.But I haven't experienced/tried it myself,so I have no comments.There is a market for expensive power cords ,so companies makes some pretty looking things with some stories and sell it.The amplifier manufacturers know this I assume so they just finish it off with a simple,cheap right size removable power cord,giving the customer the choice to change it if required.

But I haven't experienced/tried it myself,so I have no comments.
I have gone through quite a few. I did find differences but I wouldn't call them night and day improvements, the way the cable manufacturers claim - plus what I heard was my subjective impression. Would I pass in a DBT? Not sure. Nowadays I do not let the number of subjective reviews sway me anymore, I try to listen to it myself and if I feel the change is worth having, then I go for it.
Cheers,
Sid

Depends on the voltage between earth and neutral.under 5 volts is normal.infact it should be at least 1.5 v .No voltage or full (240v) indicates a break in neutral depending on the point in the circuit at which the check is done.MCB should trip on a phase to neutral/earth fault.But this depends on the fault current generated. which depends on the fault loop impedance,size of the MCB etc.If not designed properly with above factors,the fault will be present with full voltage,but not enough current will be present to trip the breaker etc .Dont worry about all these.Please Check the voltage between neutral and earth.
I am not sure what all this means :( . Do you mean voltage between earth and live wire or earth and neutral?

Why don't you make your own XLR? You should need to spend no more than 5k for a top quality cable (Mogami + Neutrix (bought from the US though). And you will learn a few things along the way.
Good idea. I guess just need to solder the three pins with 3 wires on both ends? Is that this simple?

I think no but may be I am wrong. What I think is the live wire is in contact with the earth wire somewhere in the conduits. That is why the earth wire is not neutral anymore. Just my opinion.I think I dont have ELCBs just MCBs only.
Insulation of 40 year old wiring would've deteriorated enough and this could be the reason. There's something called "Megger Test" to detect this.

BTW, as per NBC and fire safety norms, wiring needs to be replaced after 15 years.

Old houses can have weird electrical problems. Best is to get a dedicated line to your audio equipment for peace of mind and better sound quality. Do surely invest in a good stabilizer if there are voltage problems. Power conditioners and surge suppressors are your own choices as they can affect sound, better to ask luxman what they say do they recommend conditioners or directly plugged in. Remember its all about power, much better the power much better sound.

Edit:
Btw I am using my marantz amp in a place where there is voltage fluctuations between 100v to 250v regularly. Its directly connected without any stabilizer, does occasionally shut down when voltage gets low, but its working fine and dandy. made in china, Robust things these are, Nothing generally happens unless a thunderstorm lightning strucks on top of house. I have experienced that also and my so called surge suppressor fried and could not protect my pc even when it was totally off.
I would definitely get a stabilizer. I have experience yet with any stabilizer. First is to get the dedicated line. Hopefully it would resolve the RF interference. We don't have fluctuation problem here but still for peace of my mind stabilizer is must.

Hi - Apologies if I missed following this discussion, I have a similar issue.

Previously in my Mumbai acco, the dac would stop working every time I switched on the fan / turn the fan regulator / switch on the tube. Now, in my Pune acco I am facing the same issue, though not when using all the switches, only when I change the fan speed via regulator (Step type regulators)

My listening setup is in the living room and in both Mumbai/now Pune it is on the same line as other electrical items in the living room. This issue is only when using switches/regulator in the living room, there is no issue when operating appliances/other electrical items in other rooms.

Unfortunately I cannot draw a dedicated power line to my listening equipment, since I live in rented acco.

If I have followed the discussion correctly the only solution is a dedicated power line ? Please can someone confirm if a isolation power transformer will help, and also recommend a good brand in Pune.

Regards,
Kapeel

Previously in my Mumbai acco, the dac would stop working every time I switched on the fan / turn the fan regulator / switch on the tube. Now, in my Pune acco I am facing the same issue, though not when using all the switches, only when I change the fan speed via regulator (Step type regulators)

My listening setup is in the living room and in both Mumbai/now Pune it is on the same line as other electrical items in the living room. This issue is only when using switches/regulator in the living room, there is no issue when operating appliances/other electrical items in other rooms.

Unfortunately I cannot draw a dedicated power line to my listening equipment, since I live in rented acco.

If I have followed the discussion correctly the only solution is a dedicated power line ? Please can someone confirm if a isolation power transformer will help, and also recommend a good brand in Pune.

Regards,
Kapeel

Dacs are curious devices, work in microvolts inside, very sensitive to electricity, and fan regulators and tubes are nasty devices which cause distrubance in electricity causing drivers to crash while playback. Getting a dedicated line could help or move to incandescent bulbs and traditional old school fan regulators.

Regards,
Kapeel

How are the Buchardt S400 coming along ?

Can you post a few pics and your set up and impressions

Thanks

Regards,
Kapeel
Hi Kapeel,
Please replace the switch and regulator to start with.The solution could be as simple as that.

I am gonna share a new finding about earth wire soon.

This is the power cord I got with the DAC. As we can see its a 3 pin power cord even though the DAC has 2 blades at the rear. But I am not using this cable. What I tested with this cable is, I just plugged this cable in the power strip, and tested with the tester. The earthing pin has the current as well means the earth pin is live too. I believe this is not normal. If this rings any bells for anyone?

Thing is I do not own this place. So getting the dedicated line is easiest for me rahter than digging out the problem and fixing it.
Time to unplug everything, get a qualified electrician and check if wiring of your house is correct. I am telling you this because I too had similar kind of situation and one fine day when I returned, I found my Tannoys and tv fully fried. Earth needs to be proper or else you are taking a risk.

Hi @Shinto

I did the pending test today. I pulled 3 extension cords from another room to my system. Then I tried to play with tube light and fan switches in the listening room. Boom there was no interference. So now I am thinking to get a dedicated line from the mains (16 Amps) that terminates on a board with 3 to 4 outlets.

I was reading through some Surge Protector posts on the forum, and saw some Surge protectors cum MCB from Schneider. (RCCBs) residual current circuit breaker. I am not sure what are these. They seem to be not very cheap. Could be around 7 to 8k. Is it worth investing in that kind of MCB over normal MCB?

What else I should be doing while getting the dedicated line?

Any suggestion on wire gauge and switches are welcome.

Thanks

Regards
Vivek

Join WhatsApp group to get HiFiMART.com Offers & Deals delivered to your smartphone!
Back