Interference or Electrical ground loop

It is worth checking if you don't want to spend unnecessarily.You can ask the Electricians opinion too.But again if it is not going to cost too much ,and as you have already mentioned that the house wiring is old,may be you can consider a separate circuit.
You can use the electrician to get a temperory extension to be sure.Also try changing the Swith es of the culprits while you have the Electrician s.Are the switch es old.if the switches are old,it is better to start by replacing the switches first and check.Regardless,if it is not going to cost and if you are will ing to spend,just get the dedicated line done considering the condition of your house wiring.

It is worth checking if you don't want to spend unnecessarily.You can ask the Electricians opinion too.But again if it is not going to cost too much ,and as you have already mentioned that the house wiring is old,may be you can consider a separate circuit.
I am gonna share a new finding about earth wire soon.

This is the power cord I got with the DAC. As we can see its a 3 pin power cord even though the DAC has 2 blades at the rear. But I am not using this cable. What I tested with this cable is, I just plugged this cable in the power strip, and tested with the tester. The earthing pin has the current as well means the earth pin is live too. I believe this is not normal. If this rings any bells for anyone?

You can use the electrician to get a temperory extension to be sure.Also try changing the Swith es of the culprits while you have the Electrician s.Are the switch es old.if the switches are old,it is better to start by replacing the switches first and check.Regardless,if it is not going to cost and if you are will ing to spend,just get the dedicated line done considering the condition of your house wiring.
Thing is I do not own this place. So getting the dedicated line is easiest for me rahter than digging out the problem and fixing it.

This is the power cord I got with the DAC. As we can see its a 3 pin power cord even though the DAC has 2 blades at the rear. But I am not using this cable. What I tested with this cable is, I just plugged this cable in the power strip, and tested with the tester. The earthing pin has the current as well means the earth pin is live too. I believe this is not normal. If this rings any bells for anyone?

This is very weird. If the plug has three pins then it is obviously connected to your house mains earthing and therefore it will travel to the IEC connector as well. Don't understand what Luxman is doing with their power cords.. Why skimp on such a small item especially when it is costing them just about 1 USD each...
Very disappointed with Luxman..

Just noticed that my Lyngdorf power cable and your DAC power cable are made by the same manufacturer in China.. Even more weird is the fact that Luxman sources power cables from different manufacturers for their DAC and amplifiers even though both are for 1 USD each and are simple power cords used for everyday appliances..

I have bought some higher end components in the past few years that did not have any powercords at all, and many had just basic, cheap chinese made power cords.
Cheers,
Sid

Power cords have profound impact and manufacturers are not supposed to know what would be the affect of a particular power cord in your system. They find it better to concentrate on the device's overall performance using normal everyday cords.

I have bought some higher end components in the past few years that did not have any powercords at all, and many had just basic, cheap chinese made power cords.
Cheers,
Sid
Every company tries to cut the cost here and there. I would be happy if the cost cutting is restricted to power cords only not in the internals.

Cheers,
Sid
So that means the margins on products are huge... If they use cheap power cords, what is the guarantee that they don't skimp on the internal parts as well?

Also when I bought my entry level Luxman 505UX from Japan, it came supplied with their JPR 15000 power cord which retails for 15000 yen in Japan. And now they are giving cheap chinese cables with their most expensive integrated amp. So that means they were fooling us earlier by pricing the expensive power cord in the amp even though it made absolutely no difference in the sound or they are fooling us now...

Shouldn't your ELCB trip instantly if you have voltage on your earth terminal?

Shouldn't your ELCB trip instantly if you have voltage on your earth terminal?
I think no but may be I am wrong. What I think is the live wire is in contact with the earth wire somewhere in the conduits. That is why the earth wire is not neutral anymore. Just my opinion.I think I dont have ELCBs just MCBs only.

So that means the margins on products are huge... If they use cheap power cords, what is the guarantee that they don't skimp on the internal parts as well?

Also when I bought my entry level Luxman 505UX from Japan, it came supplied with their JPR 15000 power cord which retails for 15000 yen in Japan. And now they are giving cheap chinese cables with their most expensive integrated amp. So that means they were fooling us earlier by pricing the expensive power cord in the amp even though it made absolutely no difference in the sound or they are fooling us now...

Check this . It says power supply cable (working under polarity Mark JPA-10000) included as accessories. If they supply in Japan whats the problem supplying elsewhere

I think no but may be I am wrong. What I think is the live wire is in contact with the earth wire somewhere in the conduits. That is why the earth wire is not neutral anymore. Just my opinion.

if live was directly connected to earth, the fuse would have blown out. What you are experiencing is that there is some leakage somehwere and/or your earth is not properly connected. Get an electrician he can insolate and sort it out.

if live was directly connected to earth, the fuse would have blown out. What you are experiencing is that there is some leakage somehwere and/or your earth is not properly connected. Get an electrician he can insolate and sort it out.
I am gonna do that soon. Was just calling him up.

Old houses can have weird electrical problems. Best is to get a dedicated line to your audio equipment for peace of mind and better sound quality. Do surely invest in a good stabilizer if there are voltage problems. Power conditioners and surge suppressors are your own choices as they can affect sound, better to ask luxman what they say do they recommend conditioners or directly plugged in. Remember its all about power, much better the power much better sound.

Edit:
Btw I am using my marantz amp in a place where there is voltage fluctuations between 100v to 250v regularly. Its directly connected without any stabilizer, does occasionally shut down when voltage gets low, but its working fine and dandy. made in china, Robust things these are, Nothing generally happens unless a thunderstorm lightning strucks on top of house. I have experienced that also and my so called surge suppressor fried and could not protect my pc even when it was totally off.

Last edited by a moderator:
No idea, but skimping on internal parts means that SQ will deteriorate. Secondly there are so many accessories that claim to improve sound of even high end components, footers, fuses etc., so what is the guarantee that they are not using cheap parts such as footers, fuses etc., since aftermarket suppliers are supplying these. So some one is fooling us, either the high end manufacturer or the power cord suppliers or the aftermarket accessory suppliers etc. Even the most super high end components I know use a 50 cent fuse where as you can buy a high end beeswax fuse for $100!
My guess is the accessory suppliers rather than the OEM!
Cheers,
Sid

No idea, but skimping on internal parts means that SQ will deteriorate. Secondly there are so many accessories that claim to improve sound of even high end components, footers, fuses etc., so what is the guarantee that they are not using cheap parts such as footers, fuses etc., since aftermarket suppliers are supplying these. So some one is fooling us, either the high end manufacturer or the power cord suppliers or the aftermarket accessory suppliers etc.
Cheers,
Sid

what would you buy? some amp with exquisite capacitors or some other with exquisite footers?

I don't think its about fooling but yes they need to prioritise their spend of money. For any designer he will always concentrate more on research for performance of his circuits. Good parts as capacitors, resistors etc are indispensable for good audio equipment. Footers etc are not on that level of priority for him and maybe not even his speciality so they find its better to not spend more on these things as compared to spending more on actual components. And someone will just not buy a product if it just has exquisite footers and fuses. When one buys the end product, and if he experiences changes with using after market products and sometimes better sound. Thats ok. These companies are supposed to make money, so they produce these things. Even people change all internal wiring to slver, change inlets, change rca/xlr connectors to better, even move transformers out of chassis, its never ending process for search for a better sound.

Power cords have profound impact and manufacturers are not supposed to know what would be the affect of a particular power cord in your system. They find it better to concentrate on the device's overall performance using normal everyday cords.
Or the other side of the coin is that power cords have no impact and the manufacturers know it. :p

Or the other side of the coin is that power cords have no impact and the manufacturers know it. :p
This seems more logical to me, reason being if a particular amp under performs with stock power cord and manufacture knows it, why would they do so and they shouldn't expect that each buyer would buy ultra expensive power cords to get the best out of the amplifier.

Wish that was true. My experience says different power cords can sound from downright rubbish to anything irrespective of cost. I have been fighting with them since last year and still fighting. And its not that i am superhuman being so God has given some special hearing power. Everyone who has come to my house (even my father in law) can hear same things.

This seems more logical to me, reason being if a particular amp under performs with stock power cord and manufacture knows it, why would they do so and they shouldn't expect that each buyer would buy ultra expensive power cords to get the best out of the amplifier.

Thats a good reason to not try them actually. And dont try them ever my suggestion. Its not about underperforming only. Some multi thousand rupee power cords will sound more shittier than 1 dollar cord you have ;)

Thats a good reason to not try them actually. And dont try them ever my suggestion. Its not about underperforming only. Some multi thousand rupee power cords will sound more shittier than 1 dollar cord you have ;)
Honestly I am not convinced yet that expensive cables make difference to the extent that justify their cost. I will have a use case whenever I buy a usb and a pair of XLR to see if my printer cable and shitty rca were good enough or not.

Honestly I am not convinced yet that expensive cables make difference to the extent that justify their cost. I will have a use case whenever I buy a usb and a pair of XLR to see if my printer cable and shitty rca were good enough or not.

Thats perfectly ok, no need to buy anything if things you have work well and you dont find anything wrong. Afterall why bother with these things if one is already satisfied.

I agree, no manufacturer will supply a product with under-performing accessories. It will defeat the very purpose of their equipment. The cable industry has a lot of pseudo- scientific mumbo-jumbo explanations to sell their product (Infamous Nordost demos being one). Of-course there are exceptions to this - where there are reliable manufacturers (Shunyata comes to mind - supplying power cords/equipment to life support equipment etc.) - but overall IMO majority are just pretty products/artisan manufacturers playing on subjective impressions rather than scientific objective ones.
Cheers,
Sid

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back