Internal crack on my Samsung PS51D550 Plasma TV. Warranty denied.

bobbyalex

My five month old Plasma TV (Samsung PS51D550) has developed an internal crack. If you feel the outside glass you can get to know that it was not due to any external impact since the crack cannot be felt on the outside.

Contacted Samsung customer care. A technician came over an examined it. Took photos. Later I got a call from the service center saying that they have concluded that its a physical damage and that the warranty doesnt cover it.

I asked them to explain how it can be a physical damage when there is no external crack. They gave some BS about the glass having a physical coating due to which the issue is not externally visible.

I was heart broken to say the least. I checked on the net and found this to be a surprisingly common problem.
Internal Crack on my TV panel - CNET Samsung Forums

Has anyone faced this issue? Is there a way to get this issue resolved? Can I approach the consumer court? Does anyone have experience with filing a case in the consumer court?

The service guy said that it would cost 28K for the panel to be replaced.

Attachments

• WP_000040.jpg
    WP_000040.jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 332
Ouch that Hurts.... Scared about my Sammy 51D now ....
Was it wall mounted or on its stand ?

Is this an isolated incident with you and the person in the link that you posted or has this happened to a lot of other people as well ?

Ouch that Hurts.... Scared about my Sammy 51D now ....
Was it wall mounted or on its stand ?

Is this an isolated incident with you and the person in the link that you posted or has this happened to a lot of other people as well ?

On a stand. The link contains 30+ instances of people who have reported this problem. They filed a class action and Samsung replaced the TVs. No one messes with the customer in the US. Unfortunately thats not the case in India.

Better you get a written confirmation on this from them and file a complaint in consumer court along with the proofs about the similar incidences in which Samsung had replaced the panels.

I agree with cmsajith. Take them to court if they fail to replace or acknowledge the inherent problem with the TV
Claim damages as well

thats a bad news... bt on the other hand that really might be an transportation damage... and u might be unlucky to have that... bt make sure that the outer cartoon was well enough and check properly... or write a mail to the company... might be you appeal is heared... try your luck man...

Does anyone have any experience with this? I have no idea how to go about filing a consumer court case in Bangalore.

I am sure there are many ways it can crack, but yes it can crack without external damage. One of my plasma's fell over, in many places the inside glass was cracked but the outer hard plastic (?) did not show damage. So the tech may have a point. Not saying that you broke it but tech can always claim it.

I don't have any prior experience with consumer courts. From what I know, before you file a complaint, you need to give a written complaint first to the company/seller and hear what they have to say. Registered post with A/D is recommended. Wait for their reply. If the reply is not positive, you can proceed with the consumer court. All you need to is submit the complaint in written paper with supporting documents. No need for any advocates, but you can if you wish so. Keep copies of all documents, correspondence etc. ready with you. You could also ask compensation for mental harassment.

well the general procedure is first give a mail to the company.. if the response is negative issue them a notice with a specific time say for 10 days or 15days with a help of a lawyer... still if it a negative response try to get ur case registered with the court with a help of a lawyer and the notice should always contain that all the expenses will be bourne by the company if you win the case..
bt on other hand i would suggest you to keep on poking the company.. there is maximum chances of getting ur item replaced...

something like this is extremely hard to prove. You need to provide concrete technical evidence with statistics of past instances of this happening to panels due to manufacturing defects.
Source the internet for such instances.

Then with all this evidence and facts, approach the company and try to convince them, Else you can threaten them with a letter stating you would be forced to approach the consumer court for redressel of the situation.

TBH, Looks like ball or something hit the screen.
No external crack does not mean it is not due to external objects.
The crack also has a pivot which the company may claim as impact location.

Was it gradual or sudden?
If it is sudden, ask the kids in the house first. :)

Hey did u tell the samsung guys about the same problem others have faced. If yes what did they say?

I am sure there are many ways it can crack, but yes it can crack without external damage. One of my plasma's fell over, in many places the inside glass was cracked but the outer hard plastic (?) did not show damage. So the tech may have a point. Not saying that you broke it but tech can always claim it.

Really? Wow thats a bummer. But could you not even feel the cracks if you felt it with your fingers?

TBH, Looks like ball or something hit the screen.
No external crack does not mean it is not due to external objects.
The crack also has a pivot which the company may claim as impact location.

Was it gradual or sudden?
If it is sudden, ask the kids in the house first. :)
I have a 1.5 year old son. Pretty difficult to ask him. If you check the CNET post you will see that all those people who have had this problem had similar type of cracks.

Though this post may not be of a help in your present case, posting for the general information and use of all the fellow members.

It is always better to cover all your personal high-end equipment such as TVs, AVRs, Refrigerator, Microwave, Laptop/I-pad, Digicam, etc. under insurance covering risk of accidental damages, breakdowns, theft etc. Premium costs are negligible and this way one can cover all the risks which may not be otherwise covered under manufacturers' standard warranties.

Recently have added Pana 50VT20D (cost INR 75,000/- with 1 + 2year additional Panel warranty) in existing policy. Cost - INR 750/- plus Service Tax.

This will give the desired peace of mind without putting a big burden on the pocket.

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back