Internet Speed

I have slight suspicion on the speed showed by speedtest.net. I have checked the speed using speedtest and trai speed test apps in my mobile over wifi. While speedtest was showing 20MBPS, Trai was showing only 4-5 MBPS. I suspect a foul play here, as even youtube HD buffers even when speedtest showed 20MBPS. Is speedtest displaying boosted speed for some providers?

In my experience, Speedtest just shows you the result to its nearest server, and that is your ISP. This often proves that your ISP is giving what you are paying for. Which, in a way, they are.

Now tell Speedtest to use a different server. Zoom out and pick somewhere on a different continent. Seems to me that much of "the internet" is "in" America. So choose a server in USA, or Northern Europe, etc. The speed that you now see will be reduced by how much of its upstream bandwidth your ISP is giving you, what share of its international cables it is allowing you, and, of course the stuff that, beyond that, is out of its control anyway. Welcome to a more realistic result!

I have slight suspicion on the speed showed by speedtest.net. I have checked the speed using speedtest and trai speed test apps in my mobile over wifi. While speedtest was showing 20MBPS, Trai was showing only 4-5 MBPS. I suspect a foul play here, as even youtube HD buffers even when speedtest showed 20MBPS. Is speedtest displaying boosted speed for some providers?

I never reply on speedtest result, if you want to actually test speed, what the real world down/up bandwidth is, just download an actual file (preferably without a download manager). My hathway 50Mbps gives 30-35 Mbps on speedtest but when I download a file from any server in US or anywhere across the world, I almost always get 40-45Mbps and many a times 48-50Mbps as well.

Check my recent download speed while downloading chromium OS, getting full 48Mbps:)

w1d3y1.jpg

Tested same time on speed test was not giving more than 35Mbps, so as long as actual real time download speeds are touching what ISP has promised, who cares what speedtest is showing .....

In my experience, Speedtest just shows you the result to its nearest server, and that is your ISP. This often proves that your ISP is giving what you are paying for. Which, in a way, they are.

Now tell Speedtest to use a different server. Zoom out and pick somewhere on a different continent. Seems to me that much of "the internet" is "in" America. So choose a server in USA, or Northern Europe, etc. The speed that you now see will be reduced by how much of its upstream bandwidth your ISP is giving you, what share of its international cables it is allowing you, and, of course the stuff that, beyond that, is out of its control anyway. Welcome to a more realistic result!

So I did, check through speedtest.net the speed between Roubaix and Mumbai. It was around 30 mbps, closer to the speeds I am getting on CuteFTP, which is around 22 mbps.

yes VDSL modems will only work with mtnl ftth connections; yes you can buy from the market and install it yourself. mtnl will also help you install it if you have any problem.

So I got this VDSL modem for my MTNL FTTH connection https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00ZUDFA8E/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But don't seem to be able to get it running despite selecting PPPoE and submitting user and password.

Wonder if anyone has any info in getting this to work.

By the way, is MTNL FTTH a bonded DSL connection?

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back