Intro + Advice

dEvIoUs

Hey Everyone !!
Im new here and this is my first post. Need some advice from all you audioholics out there on a 5.1 setup along with a decent amp with good video capabilities.

Budget - 1.6 L

Usage - 70% Music, 30% Movies (All genres of music - mainly rock, soft rock, acoustic and house)

I auditioned the MS Aviano 5.1 Package with the CA 650A Amp and I was pretty impressed with the sound. However, I am a newbie when it comes to distinguishing between good sound quality and great sound quality (which is where all you wonderful geeks out there come in to the rescue). Have done a lot of reading and research on the www but that's just got me even more confused ?!?

AMP
I am not too sure about the video capabilities of the CA 650A and I have more or less zeroed in on the Denon 1911 which has the new 1.4 version of HDMI. The only other alternative I can think of would be the Marantz PM7003 !! If any of you could throw more light on the video capabilities of the CA 650A and how the CA 650A, Denon 1911 & the Marantz PM7003 stand head to head?

SPEAKERS
I definitely did like the MS Aviano-6 as the floorstanders and should manage getting them @ 36K. However I am open to suggestions for a better set of floorstanders within a similar price range.

Now we come to the surrounds. Apart from the MS Aviano-1's that I have already auditioned, my reserch tells me that the Wharfedale 10.1's are one of the best surrounds out there. Again open to suggestions.

Centre and Sub - Havent done much research on those yet so completely open to suggestions based on what go best with the choice of AVR's that I've trickled down to.

All in all I want a 5.1 speaker package which is well-balanced with good tonal qualities rather than a lot of bass and thump.

Looking forward to your suggestions !!

if youre listening habits is 70% music then i would suggest a stereo setup. you will get MUCH better sound quality at the same budget. for eg listen to the monitor audio bronze series surround sound vs the monitor audio silver series in stereo

@ jitubisht - Room size is approximately 300 Sq. ft.

@afj - Thanks for your suggestion, I understand your point but this I would definitely need a 5.1 setup since 30% would be movies.

Heyy there everyone, I'm still on the hunt and have got the Denon 1911 amplifier but still looking for the elusive floorstanders to begin with. I will add the surrounds, centre and sub later. My budget for the FS' is around 35K, could stretch it to max 40K but not beyond that. As I had mentioned earlier, I have auditioned the MS Aviano 6 FS and I am getting them around 35K and I like them for the simple fact that they are "well-balanced". The bass is not over the top and the midrange is good.

However, since I am a complete fresher I am looking at more Gyaan from all you audiophiles out there, so please give in your two bits of advice and enlighten me so that I can put an end to the chase and make the kill !!

In about the same bracket how would the stand up against the MS Aviano-6 paired with the Denon 1911 amp :

1) Jamo C405
2) MA BR5
3) Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
4) Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

Hope all of you can help me figure this one out !!!

Sorry for including the Wharfie 10.7 in my earlier post, I think that's over the budget, it could be a 10.4 instead

welcome buddy....

spend some time.. lots of gurus here to input..

u were inactive for about a month.. lets wait for our gurus to return and help u buy the best .

Hey Jitu, thanks! I was just going through Q-Acoustic's site and the only FS I could find was the 2050. Will try and audition them soon and see how they comapare to the MS Aviano-6.

Im new here and this is my first post. Need some advice from all you audioholics out there on a 5.1 setup along with a decent amp with good video capabilities.

Budget - 1.6 L

Usage - 70% Music, 30% Movies (All genres of music - mainly rock, soft rock, acoustic and house)

I auditioned the MS Aviano 5.1 Package with the CA 650A Amp and I was pretty impressed with the sound. However, I am a newbie when it comes to distinguishing between good sound quality and great sound quality (which is where all you wonderful geeks out there come in to the rescue). Have done a lot of reading and research on the www but that's just got me even more confused ?!?

AMP
I am not too sure about the video capabilities of the CA 650A and I have more or less zeroed in on the Denon 1911 which has the new 1.4 version of HDMI. The only other alternative I can think of would be the Marantz PM7003 !! If any of you could throw more light on the video capabilities of the CA 650A and how the CA 650A, Denon 1911 & the Marantz PM7003 stand head to head?

SPEAKERS
I definitely did like the MS Aviano-6 as the floorstanders and should manage getting them @ 36K. However I am open to suggestions for a better set of floorstanders within a similar price range.

Now we come to the surrounds. Apart from the MS Aviano-1's that I have already auditioned, my reserch tells me that the Wharfedale 10.1's are one of the best surrounds out there. Again open to suggestions.

Centre and Sub - Havent done much research on those yet so completely open to suggestions based on what go best with the choice of AVR's that I've trickled down to.

All in all I want a 5.1 speaker package which is well-balanced with good tonal qualities rather than a lot of bass and thump.

Looking forward to your suggestions !!

Heyy there everyone, I'm still on the hunt and have got the Denon 1911 amplifier but still looking for the elusive floorstanders to begin with. I will add the surrounds, centre and sub later. My budget for the FS' is around 35K, could stretch it to max 40K but not beyond that. As I had mentioned earlier, I have auditioned the MS Aviano 6 FS and I am getting them around 35K and I like them for the simple fact that they are "well-balanced". The bass is not over the top and the midrange is good.

However, since I am a complete fresher I am looking at more Gyaan from all you audiophiles out there, so please give in your two bits of advice and enlighten me so that I can put an end to the chase and make the kill !!

In about the same bracket how would the stand up against the MS Aviano-6 paired with the Denon 1911 amp :

1) Jamo C405
2) MA BR5
3) Wharfedale Diamond 10.7
4) Wharfedale Diamond 9.6

Hope all of you can help me figure this one out !!!

Hi

Welcome to the forum.

1. Good Stereo sound and HT can never go together. Try separating them. Since movies is only 30%, push the setups to different rooms according to your convenience.

Get a good sub-sat combo (Logitech / Bose etc Seartch the forum for pointers) Invest in a good integrated stereo amp like NAD, Marantz, CA etc) and a pair of tower speakers from Dynaudio, AE, Polk, MS etc.

2. If the above is not possible, try to get all the speakers from one maker for proper timbre matching or you are likely to end up being disappointed.

3. By all means, get opinions but when it comes to buying, trust your ears only.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Rajesh

Hi dEvIoUs,

Welcome onboard and happy HFVing.

On the outset, I own an Onkyo 608 and have been hunting for speakers for close to a month now. While repeated auditions are only resulting in more confusion, I am also getting a bit restless reading reviews.

IMHO, the best approach is to read reviews, shortlist your options based on the previous step and finally let your ears do the deciding.

I am currently torn between building my setup slowly (BS + Center + Sub + Surrounds) and buying a decent 5.1 speaker set. With the latter approach, I can always add good FS/BS to zone 2 at a later point in time, if need be.

I strongly recommend you to read the attached review, which to me is, in all probability, leading to a decision soon.

hcc.techradar.com/files/reviews/WHC/092_WHC_DEC03.pdf

Good luck and do keep us posted.

Cheers,
pannags

Last edited:
Thanks Captain & Pannags for your posts :)

@ Captain - Well I completely get your point that you are trying to make and also agree with you. However, since I am going to be using this setup in one room and also dont have the budget to segregate stereo sound and a HT, hence I will have to club the two together and I am looking at the best of both worlds (as much as possible). I have already bought the Denon 1911. So for now I am only going to be buying the FS' and will later build on it. So if you could give me any suggestions for a decent FS pair in the range of around 35K then it would be really helpful, thanks once again.

@ Pannags - Thanks for the link, I have gone through it and it is useful. However, I am 100% sure on a good pair of FS' to begin with since only decent FS' can give you a satisfying stereo sound. Again I look for any other feedback that you might have, thanks !

So if you could give me any suggestions for a decent FS pair in the range of around 35K then it would be really helpful, thanks once again.

Hi Devious
I've given my suggestions based on my limited knowledge of available speakers.

I wish you all the best.

a pair of tower speakers from Dynaudio, AE, Polk, MS etc.

Thanks Captain & Pannags for your posts :)
@ Pannags - Thanks for the link, I have gone through it and it is useful. However, I am 100% sure on a good pair of FS' to begin with since only decent FS' can give you a satisfying stereo sound. Again I look for any other feedback that you might have, thanks !

You are most welcome Devious :)

I would tend to agree with you on the fact that FS are the best option to go with, especially for movies.
I'm looking for a BS option only because my "active" listening area is only ~ 50% of my living space.

My suggestions for a pair of FS in the 35k range would be the following, in not necessarily the same order, but keeping in view more music than movies:

1. Wharfedale Diamond 9.6 - warm sounding
2. Polk Audio Tsi 500 - brilliant bass
3. Paradigm Reference Monitor 7 - very neutral sounding
4. Klipsch RF-52 - known to blend well with the Denons
5. Q Acoustics 1050i
6. Monitor Audio Bronze BR5

I admit the options are too many. Hope this helps.

Regards,
Pannags

OK, so I auditioned the MS Mezzo 6 and they are beautiful. Since I am a complete novice at all of this and my knowledge is mostly limited to What Hi Fi and the information available on this website, but I could make out the huge difference in the Aviano's and the Mezzo 6. I also auditioned the Mezzo 8 but the Mezzo 6 were a class apart. I also auditioned the Ikon 6's but I found the Mezzo's to be better balanced and cripier in delivery. However I am open to more suggestions and would also want to know which stero amp would pair well with the Mezzo's !?!

Its always better keep the stereo and HT as separate entities. I ssuggest you start with music and find the stereo setup (stereo amp + matching speakers) and then add an avr and the rest of the 5.1 to the stereo setup so that the same front speakers can be used for stereo and HT. A stereo speaker will perform well in HT also but not vise versa.

Thanks Sajith. That is exactly what I have been told by many other people and I also agree with that. However, this obviously stretches my budget now and eventually I will end up spending much more.

Now that I have been considering the stereo speaker and stero amp option, this does'nt end there. Initially my idea was to purchase a Denon 1911, which later was changed to a 2.1 stereo amp. However, now the more I read about this and the more people I talk to who have much more knowledge than me in this are telling me that it's better to go for a pre-amp - power-amp setup. However, the dealer who I am looking to get the MS Mezzo 6 speakers from is telling me that there is not such a HUGE difference comparatively between the choice of a Denon 1911 vis-a-vis a 2.1 channel amp. He says that if you use the right settings the Denon will also give you a decent sound and you wont have to invest in another amp later on since it is a 7.1. I am quite confused at the moment and don't know which way to go !?! I am also going to audition the Mezzo 6 speakers with a dedicated 2.1 ch Amp through a CD Player and then on the Denon 1911 through the Ipod Dock since most of my music is all on the Ipod rather than on cd's.

However, in the meanwhile if any of you could understand my requirement and give me suggestions that it would be greatly helpful, thanks :)

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back