Intro and outro

Finyl Vinyl

Hey All,

Rohit from Bangalore. Just about finishing restoring my Garrard 401 transcription deck and SME 3009 tone arm. Looking for a half decent valve pre and power amp. No I do not want to pay an arm and a leg. Also looking for a Shure or Pickering V15 cartridge and stylus and not willing to get ripped on those either.

If any kind soul knows or has one to part with, I'd be most grateful.

Best

Rohit

Garrard 401, SME 3009 tone arm,
Sonodyne SA 8000 R amp
Akai X 155 D spool player,
Phillips DVD
Custom Phillips driven speakers

Last edited:
Looking for a half decent valve pre and power amp. No I do not want to pay an arm and a leg. Also looking for a Shure or Pickering V15 cartridge and stylus and not willing to get ripped on those either.

Hi Rohit,

I would suggest the Lyrita valve pre/phono stage.The phono stage works very well with the V15/III.

Good V15's are pretty rare,E.bay being an option but they sell for very high prices.An option is the M97(new) which is as good as the V15/III.

Love your Akai RTR.

Regards
Rajiv

Hi Rohit,
Akai X 155 D spool player is a very interesting piece of gadget. Looks like a grand daddy of tape decks. How does it sound compared to vinyl?Is music in that format still available?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

How is sonodyne amp?SQ?

Reasonably happy with it. The controls on the bass and treble knobs really need to be cranked for a response. The mids control has got a good range. And it does deliver a warm tone. I think I need a dash of WD40 on all the knobs and a clean up is required. It has served me well over the last five years. It has proven sturdy and reliable and has managed well in the dusty conditions that I encountered while a huge mall was being built outside my window. But then so did my Garrard and Akai.

It seems more adaptable to analogue rather than digital.

Hi Finyl,

Can you throw some light on what this WD 40 is? The source selector on my amp is giving me some probs.Please tell me how to go about cleaning these knobs.

Thanks,
sri

Hi Rohit,
Akai X 155 D spool player is a very interesting piece of gadget. Looks like a grand daddy of tape decks. How does it sound compared to vinyl?Is music in that format still available?
Thanks,
Mahiruha.

Hi Mahiruha,

I have about 40 spools and some people have promised me a few more, including my uncle who has an "interview" of his grandfather!!! Looking forward to that. I also have two brand new sealed spools. Waiting for a good cartridge and stylus to hook it up and make some transfers.

I was listening to a Readers Digest compilation from 1968 last night called "South of the Border". I have both the vinyl LP and the same on spool. The spool really shone through with the mids and highs and had a great presence, the bass sections I felt did better on the LPs.

I would say that I rate it significantly superior to metal or CRO2 compact cassettes.

Hey All,

Rohit from Bangalore. Just about finishing restoring my Garrard 401 transcription deck and SME 3009 tone arm. Looking for a half decent valve pre and power amp. No I do not want to pay an arm and a leg. Also looking for a Shure or Pickering V15 cartridge and stylus and not willing to get ripped on those either.

If any kind soul knows or has one to part with, I'd be most grateful.

Best

Rohit

I have a Shure V15 Mark III cart.... but don't have a sylus...
PM me and we can talk.

welcome rohit,

i'd second viren's tube phonostage. affordable and superb quality. you can roll tubes as and when money allows. nice turntable!

regards

Follow HiFiMART on Instagram for offers, deals and FREE giveaways!
Back