Garrard 301 Oil Bearing - for restoration

jls001

Due to the magnanimity of friends here on the forum, yesterday I became a proud owner of the legendary Garrard 301 idler drive transcription turntable.

It came mounted on a large - but battered - 3/4 inch thick plywood plank, the "regulation" plywood box plinth having been discarded long ago. The motor is in surprisingly good shape and runs silently, the paint on the cast aluminium chassis is mostly intact. The arm is a 12 inch SME 3012. It has the removable headshell. I need to look up the exact model number. The counterweight is the single piece type, and not split. Cosmetically, the arm has clearly seen sunnier days. It will need some serious work to bring it up to acceptable cosmetic state. However, mechanically it moves freely in its pivot. The counterweight stub is all floppy; the insert that connects the counterweight stub to the main arm tube will certainly need to be replaced with a new teflon number. It doesn't have anti-skate weight either. The cartridge, sans stylus, is a Shure M55. At the bottom, the arm has the propriatary SME connector (not 5 pin DIN, nor RCA). So I guess that is also a candidate for fitment of the Cardas RCA-type connector.

Some pictures follows.

1) Top View: notice the tacky light switch and the even tackier ON lamp next to it.

tues.jpg

2) Bottom view of the Garrardus patheticus:lol:

o0g9.jpg

3) Close up of the spindle bearing - note the grease and grime collected on the underside of the top plate. Notice the protrusion midway on the bearing - on grease bearing 301s, this is opened to allow topping up grease. Also note the connecting links are not rusted. On bad examples, the rust is cleaned and usually electroplated with zinc. The original plating is supposed to contain cadmium which is hazardous, and therefore must be handled with care.

v26q.jpg

4) Bottom connector of the tonearm - 2 + 2 wires + grounding

1i7i.jpg

5) Schedule /2 - meaning oil bearing. /1 denotes grease bearing. Grease bearing owners will have you know that it is supposedly superior to the oil bearing variety that came later in the product life of the 301 (intro-ed in 1954, and I think brought to market in 1955, and had a production run upto 1965 when the 401 was introduced and superseded the 301)

ikh0.jpg

6) A top view of the motor. The speed selector knob is capoot.

1ate.jpg

7) Serial number 46710. This makes the production year 1959 or '60. It is of the same vintage as my Thorens TD124/Mark I (give or take a year or two)

s4.jpg

8) Below: With the platter removed to show the idler wheel mechanism. This is a "true" idler in the sense that the motor shaft directly couples with the idler which in turn drives the platter. In contrast, the Thorens TD124 has a belt being driven by the motor shaft, which in turn drives flywheel that drives the idler wheel, which in turn drives the platter - making it "pseudo-idler" drive by some reckonings. For some, this is all semantics. For purists, the "direct" drive of the 301 (or 401) produces more "thrust" in music reproduction.

0lmw.jpg

9) Below: The platter is the non-strobe type. It was originally painted black, but the paint is falling off (as shown on the left portion of the picture). I scrapped off all the black paint. Notice the rubber mat. The genius of the previous owner had glued it to the platter:lol: But after about 54 years, it has become brittle and is prime candidate for replacement.

dwe9.jpg

Being the third idler drive that I now have, and me being already neck-deep in unfinished projects, this is going to be a very longish-term project for me, to be done without hurry. The restoration will be part of the journey.

Congrats...Wishing you success on this and please make this your blog post to show the journey. and after this an idler shootout :)

So now you have 4 TTs, 4 tonearms and 4 cartridges. So that is 64 combinations. I think you need to work very hard to find out which the best one is...Congratulations.

...and after this an idler shootout :)

After ages of being in cold storage, I spun the Lenco L75 last night. I never got round to gluing the layers which are already cut out, so it remains a work-in-progress.

For the purpose of a quick comparo, the setups were like this:

A - Thorens TD 124 Mark I with Origin Live Silver Mark IIIa tonearm using 6 gm headshell spacer, ZYX RS30-02 cartridge, the tonearm's built in cable going into the DIY Hypnotoad AD 797 phono stage

B - Goldring Lenco GL75 with Origin Live Encounter Mark III tonearm using 11 gram headshell spacer, Denon DL103 cartridge, the tonearm's built in cable going into the DIY Hypnotoad AD 797 phono stage

The setups are not same, but fairly identical. However, I am not too happy with the VTA in B though it is almost optimal. This problem is due to the low level of the platter on the Lenco. One extra mat and extra thick spacer are already deployed but the VTA is not yet correct.

First, a few words about the cartridges - on the same arm-'table combo, the ZYX RS30-02 is a more refined cartridge compared to the Denon DL103. It also has better high frequency extension. Cost-wise, it is about twice the Denon's price. But the Denon's midrange is easily the equal of the ZYX's.

Secondly, a few words about the arm - these two arms have different characteristics when set up in the same 'table with the same cartridge. Both are a couple of generations behind the current Origin Live line-up. In the Origin Live scheme of things, the Silver used to sit a notch below the Encounter. The current lineup has the Zephyr model sandwiched between the two. The "junior" arm - the Silver - in my setup - sounded the more frenetic of the two. The Encounter is more relaxed in its presentation. Mechanically too, they are built differently - the Silver's pivot doesn't have any lateral or vertical slack, but the Encounter has slack in both dimensions, much like vintage SME arms, and even has a sound signature akin to the SMEs. I would not say one is superior to the other, they are just different. But the Silver, though lower in the pecking order, has been my primary arm for quite some time now. The SME 3009/II and OL Encounter III have been relegated to bench-warming duties, mainly because I hate switching arms back and forth.

To cut a long story short, setups A and B are both very likeable.

On A, the ZYX helps dig out a little bit more of audio information from the grooves than the Denon, which I guess is by virtue of its better high frequency extension. One can't quibble with its mid range. The bass is there for the taking, provided one has the transducers to reproduce deep bass. Mine are bookshelves with a reach of 45 Hz or so. When playing bass heavy tracks, I often get a tantalizing glimpse of what the bass weight and tonality could be with larger speakers. The setup handles dynamic swings with aplomb. The ZYX is a PRaTty brat. The frenetic presentation of the Silver arm liven things up further, but the Thorens - by virtue of its belt-idler wheel combination - tames the frantic thrust to a more polite, but refined, presentation.

B has plenty of thrust, more than what's available from A, despite the ZYX's contribution. Also, the bass weight is a more. I will not touch upon refinement yet as the plinth is not yet glued together, nor has the motor benefitted from a complete strip down and rebuild. This should not be understood to mean that it is coarse, though there are rough edges.

More importantly, does the Lenco play at the same ballpark level of the Thorens? Yes, it definitely does. I advise, and continue to advise folks, provided one is ready to DIY a plinth and spend on decent tonearm and cartridge, that the Lenco L75 is the only cheap way available now to get high-end sound without having to pay through the nose.

On a slightly different note, the one easy (not necessarily cheap) way to improve either setup would be to use better cartridge. That, IMHO and experience, is quickest ticket to better sound.

Congratulations on this acquisition Jls001. A Sir Garrard 301 :). Will be interesting to see how this transforms.

Cheers...

At this point, I don't have any concrete plan except for a multi-layered plinth like this, so I am open to suggestions, especially the finishing. The most likely primary arm will be an SME 3012. At this point, I don't even know if I should plan a secondary arm.

Dear Joshua,
Nice to see a Garrard 301 in your line up. My garrard 301 with 5 layer 18 mm plinth really delivers the best sound . Very endearing. Joshua, you must visit me sometime. I want to add a few more TTs to my collection. A Thorens 124 and a Thorens 125 with 3012 arm and want you to compare the various TTs. Just my wishfull thinking

I am also looking for a nice idler drive TT but now a days they trade very high.

Regards,
Sachin

Hunt for Lencos. Garrards, even those in silly conditions are now over priced items. Thorens 124 is more or less unobtainium in the country.

Thanks Sachin, yes, it is better than L75, also has a auto stop mechanism. Please do share the details of your tonearm build. Regards, sann'

Thanks Sachin, yes, it is better than L75, also has a auto stop mechanism. Please do share the details of your tonearm build. Regards, sann'

Sure Sann,
I am collecting pics,reading threads for DIY tonearm since last 2 years.I think this will be completed in next month.

Regards,
Sachin

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back