IPhone + Fiio Q3 DAC Or Sony Walkman NW A105

movedbywheel

Hi Friends,

I need advise on choosing between IPhone + Fiio Q3 DAC or to go for dedicated DAP like Sony Walkman series A105, looking forward for advice on budget IEM to pair with.

Recently subscribed Tidal Hi-Res, I’ll be on move so keen on this setup.

Thanks

The DAC in the lightning-3.5mm adaptor that comes with the iPhone is no slouch either.

Does iPhone have a digital out for any external DAC to function? I doubt it, though not sure. All external I/O of all phones are analogue.

Recently subscribed Tidal Hi-Res, I’ll be on move so keen on this setup.
Well, I might be wrong - but I believe when you say Tidal Hi-Res you perhaps need something that can support MQA decoding. If my assumption is correct then the iPhone + Fiio combo will not work, Sony A105 does support MQA - but the UI is badly implemented and is laggy and buggy.

If you have already got the iPhone and you have the budget for a dedicated DAP, perhaps look for a small form factor DAC that is MQA capable and works with your iPhone. Audioquest has a few, there a lot of other great brands/options out there that could perhaps work for your requirement.

****This is all only relevant if MQA is a requirement.

@movedbywheel you need to decide what features and budget you have in mind.
SQ, size, UI, battery life and whether you want to use it as a source for your full system all are factors in choosing.
Other features like Bluetooth, Wifi streaming (Tidal, Amazon music, gaana, etc) could be important for you maybe?

I have tried FiiO, Sony moved on to AK 70 and finally AK Kann (great sound, features, bulky, good as a line out source)
I still have the AK jr (sleek, good sound no digital out) surprisingly good amp with line out.
My FiiO M3K is tiny, fairly good sound, I find it difficult to read the small screen, good with easy to drive headphones
My Sony NWZ F886 has good SQ, beautiful form, Android touch screen functionality and limited to 32GB. It struggles with hard to drive headphones.

All these companies have other models. Fiio M11 is said to be very good at @$400, (haven’t tried it myself) I Basso, Hiby, Hidizs, Lottoi, shanling and other Chinese companies have several models you could research too.

@movedbywheel you need to decide what features and budget you have in mind.
SQ, size, UI, battery life and whether you want to use it as a source for your full system all are factors in choosing.
Other features like Bluetooth, Wifi streaming (Tidal, Amazon music, gaana, etc) could be important for you maybe?

I have tried FiiO, Sony moved on to AK 70 and finally AK Kann (great sound, features, bulky, good as a line out source)
I still have the AK jr (sleek, good sound no digital out) surprisingly good amp with line out.
My FiiO M3K is tiny, fairly good sound, I find it difficult to read the small screen, good with easy to drive headphones
My Sony NWZ F886 has good SQ, beautiful form, Android touch screen functionality and limited to 32GB. It struggles with hard to drive headphones.

All these companies have other models. Fiio M11 is said to be very good at @$400, (haven’t tried it myself) I Basso, Hiby, Hidizs, Lottoi, shanling and other Chinese companies have several models you could research too.
Thats very detailed one, Thanks a ton. I would be pairing with IEM stream via Tidal Hi-Res, i dont prefer Headphones as they bulky not comfy for long time listening.

@movedbywheel Once the lockdown is done and it’s a bit safer you are welcome to come by and have a listen to the three I have. We can DM details if you are interested

For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back