Is 55" too big for 3m Viewing distance?

akstorm

Hello,

I am looking to buy a new UHD tv, Now my options are 40" or 55 inch. My viewing distance is 3m, will 55 inch screen be too big and cause fatigue? My sole purpose is to watch movies and casual gaming. Or should i go with a FHD 40 or 43 inch instead?

Any suggestions will be helpful.

Screen size vs Viewing distance (courtesy google)

50" 6.3-10.4 feet
55" 6.9-11.5 feet
60" 7.5-12.5 feet
65" 8.1-13.5 feet

If you watch quite a bit of SD content, you need bit more viewing distance.

Screen size vs Viewing distance (courtesy google)

50" 6.3-10.4 feet
55" 6.9-11.5 feet
60" 7.5-12.5 feet
65" 8.1-13.5 feet

If you watch quite a bit of SD content, you need bit more viewing distance.

No SD content for me at all, I will probably not even have a cable connection :D
And yeah i saw google results, i guess i will go for it, if it gets stressfull i'll just move it to the bigger room :p

I have a projection of 65 inches at 8 feet. looks and feels amazing. go for it.

Re: Is 55" too big for 3m Viewing distance?

55" would be possibly be a mite small for HD movies.
It would be almost criminal not to consider a projector for a movie only purpose. You will be able to have a much larger and immersive image without fatigue. I watch an 90" projection at 12 feet in my living room and wish it could have been bigger [emoji2]

Last edited:
Re: Is 55" too big for 3m Viewing distance?

55" would be possibly be a mite small for HD movies.
It would be almost criminal not to consider a projector for a movie only purpose. You will be able to have a much larger and immersive image without fatigue. I watch an 90" projection at 12 feet in my living room and wish it could have been bigger [emoji2]

One does not have the luxury of space in the room to set up the projector setup (cries) otherwise would have gone for that. (I share the flat, so my media room is my bedroom, max I can go is 3m as the room is only 3.5m wide, I will have serious issues placing a projector)

I watch 120" screen from 12 feet. So you cannot go wrong with 55". Go for it - if possible go bigger.

Not exactly related to this question, I see the general recommendation in this forum is to get a TV as big as possible.
But what about the quality and features, connectivity, reliability, after sales service?

So, then we all should end up buying the low-end TVs only as you get maximum viewing area per rupee spent.

The choice a buyer has to make is mostly between a feature-rich better quality smaller size TV or a cheaper lower grade bigger TV. Obviously, if the buyer has the moolah, he can buy the bigger, higher quality and feature-rich TV and be happy! But unfortunately most of us don't have that luxury.

Not exactly related to this question, I see the general recommendation in this forum is to get a TV as big as possible.
But what about the quality and features, connectivity, reliability, after sales service?

So, then we all should end up buying the low-end TVs only as you get maximum viewing area per rupee spent.

The choice a buyer has to make is mostly between a feature-rich better quality smaller size TV or a cheaper lower grade bigger TV. Obviously, if the buyer has the moolah, he can buy the bigger, higher quality and feature-rich TV and be happy! But unfortunately most of us don't have that luxury.

Well you said it all, every one needs to find their own balance of size, features, quality and price. That is exactly why there are sooooooooooooo many TV models on the market.

But what has come out through various TV threads is that higher cost TV does not automatically mean higher reliability and many FMs had learnt it the hard way. So leading to purchasing lower cost TVs and extended warranties in many cases. Compromise is the name of the game

^^
Best of luck buddy.
Better brands will also have issues but the % will be much lower.
Also, I don't know if we get similar picture quality in a VU and Sony.

Yes, it's a compromise .Otherwise I would have bought a 65" TV at least if not bigger :D
And to answer the original question, 55" from 3M is almost perfect. You can go up to 60" easily as well.
Mine is 48" and viewing distance in 10-12 ft. While I am perfectly fine, 55" would have been better.
I made a compromise to go with a better brand and more features rather than a bigger screen.
To each his own.

The Marantz PM7000N offers big, spacious and insightful sound, class-leading clarity and a solid streaming platform in a award winning package.
Back