Is a cheap DVDP + DAC (Bereseford) = Entry level CDP (Marantz 5003)

nmurthyk

Hi,

My current setup is DVDP (cheap 4k sony) + DENON AMP (500AE) + Wharfedale 9.5 Speakers

Initially i thought the DVDP is a good choise as it plays DVDs also.
Even though the current setup sounds good, I feel a CDP gives more clarity to the sound.

So I am planning to buy a CDP in a couple of months.
Now the question is if i get a DAC (beresford) and connect it to the existing DVDP then will it get the same quality as the budget CDP (say a Marantz 5003 or CA)

My budget is <15K.

If a DAC gives similar S.Q. then my DVDP will not be wasted (ofcouse i dont play movies very often.).

Please give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

I would say it should be better with the dac, taking optical out from the basic cd player and running it via dac.

Wait for senior members to confirm this

Hi,

From my experience, S/PDIF out from a dvd player connected to a good DAC is always better than a decent cdp.

Please see my post in diy section.

rgds,
Venu

Not interested in something like the CA DV99 ? The setup will sound good and look good also :D. I personally like a clutter free areas.

If you will be using a DAC you will need fantastic interconnects also.

:) I just purchased a DacMagic MK2 and waiting for it to reach India. In 2 weeks, I will post detailed feedback.

From what I have spoken to and heard from my friends, the answer seems to be yes and basic CDP + DAC seems to be better than some expensive CDPs.

Will hold my horse till I actually test it.

Hopefully me and Venkat can get together when I get hold of my DacMagic

Hi Sachin,

I have used diy interconnects bought from Mr.Siva of Corrson. The RCA connectors on my DAC is purchased from Analogmetric and it is USD 12/pair.

rgds,
Venu

Hi madbullram,

you said CDP + DAC seems to be better than some expensive CDPs.

is it true for a basic (4k sony) DVDP + DAC also.

:) I just purchased a DacMagic MK2 and waiting for it to reach India. In 2 weeks, I will post detailed feedback.

From what I have spoken to and heard from my friends, the answer seems to be yes and basic CDP + DAC seems to be better than some expensive CDPs.

Will hold my horse till I actually test it.

Hopefully me and Venkat can get together when I get hold of my DacMagic

Hi Ram,

Have you tested your new DAC and can you post the performance as it will be helpful for me as well as others in the forum.

Regards

Not yet, my DacMagic MK2 is stuck in UK as my friend who was supposed to bring it cancelled his program. Now have to wait till someone comes from UK and offers to bring it down :annoyed:

Murthy: I cannot say for sure till I hear, some say its better. A friend of mine has a Marantz CD53 and DacMagic and he says it as good as his Naim CDP which is his main CDP. For each his own conclusion.

I will hold my tongue till I can test it.

I have one doubt.

I understood after reading many threads that a basic CDP/DVDP + DAC gives equal or more than a CDP in the same price (combined). Then why cant the manufacturers make that in the CDP itself with those components of a DAC.

for example a CA DV99 + Beresford >= CA 540C
14000 + 9000 >= 25000
and the left side combination has more media and connectivity options .

Logically the CDP makers have to deal with less options and has can achieve more quality in the CDP and can make the CDP far superior to the other combination.

Can any body clear my doubts as i am in a dilemma whether to go for a DVDP(CA DV99) + DAC (Beresford) or CDP (Marantz 6003). Here the DVDP + DAC looks to be more convenient and futuristic but in that case why does a CDP exist at all?:rolleyes:

DAC need transport(asuming a CDP,not DVDP),

Then why not buy CDP 1st,then listen it seriously,if you like it ,forget DAC.

I agree that buying a CDP 1st is a good option.
But my situation is a bit different.

I recently bouht my setup (Sony DVDP + DENON AMP + Wharf 9.5)
Till now i have mp3s only. And I began to buy CDs now.
So Most of the music i have is mp3 and I am slowly shifting to CDs (I cannot replace all of them with CDs::sad:).

Now i have 2 options.
1. Get a DAC (Beresford) for Rs.9000/-
Once I get more CDs and feel for more then buy a CDP

Advantages:
1. I can save 14K (until i get a cheap cdp)
2. With this i can put many CDs into One DVD (convert them to high Q mp3s and listen. the advantage here is i can see all the folders on tv as the dvd is connected to TV)
3. I will have an option for using a Comp (but i doubt i may not go for it)

2. Get a good CDP (Marantz 6003) for Rs.23000/- I may get good quality but will not.
Advantages:
1. It looks neat and single device to control.
2. I will get Good SQ now itself as i am using the Right equip.

Note that i may not find vast difference since i am new to these things (I actually listened to both sony DVDP & Maranz CDP 5003 connected to Wharf 10.4 speakers. I could see a diff as a bit smooth vocals and little bit more bass only)

I am not able to take a decision becouse of these thoughts..
Cheap CDP/DVDP + DAC Vs Dedicated CDP
More Options Vs Good SQ
Step by Step approach Vs Good SQ Instantly
Upgradability Vs Good SQ
Combined Price < Price

you may also add a HDD player to your list of options. Something that reads off your hard disk, and outputs to either a dac or direct analog out.
Squeezebox touch looks like a great product. Squeezebox classic can't play from local hdd.

regards

nmurthyk,

learn the things,and be slow on purchasing.Instant good SQ looks like a good idea, end of purchases.But audiophile hobby and quest for good SQ will continue .Many times money vs returns is very less. No one ever complains ...

Many people make biased purchases seeing these forums and others .

If you really feel only the CDP suits u then only buy.

I agree that buying a CDP 1st is a good option.
But my situation is a bit different.

I recently bouht my setup (Sony DVDP + DENON AMP + Wharf 9.5)
Till now i have mp3s only. And I began to buy CDs now.
So Most of the music i have is mp3 and I am slowly shifting to CDs (I cannot replace all of them with CDs::sad:).

Now i have 2 options.
1. Get a DAC (Beresford) for Rs.9000/-
Once I get more CDs and feel for more then buy a CDP

Advantages:
1. I can save 14K (until i get a cheap cdp)
2. With this i can put many CDs into One DVD (convert them to high Q mp3s and listen. the advantage here is i can see all the folders on tv as the dvd is connected to TV)
3. I will have an option for using a Comp (but i doubt i may not go for it)

2. Get a good CDP (Marantz 6003) for Rs.23000/- I may get good quality but will not.
Advantages:
1. It looks neat and single device to control.
2. I will get Good SQ now itself as i am using the Right equip.

Note that i may not find vast difference since i am new to these things (I actually listened to both sony DVDP & Maranz CDP 5003 connected to Wharf 10.4 speakers. I could see a diff as a bit smooth vocals and little bit more bass only)

I am not able to take a decision becouse of these thoughts..
Cheap CDP/DVDP + DAC Vs Dedicated CDP
More Options Vs Good SQ
Step by Step approach Vs Good SQ Instantly
Upgradability Vs Good SQ
Combined Price < Price

How is the performance of the Beresford DAC, i am interested in buying one. BTW how have u connected your DAC i mean what are the sources you are currently using with DAC?

There is something we must consider with budget CDP and that is its transport
Lot of folks has been facing problems with these transports when they over use or some other issue with them
Getting spares in India for same is another headache

If we consider this issue IN then cheep DVDP + DAC make good sense
This is my personal opinion as I have face lot of issue with my last 2 budget CDP

~VijayK

There is something we must consider with budget CDP and that is its transport
Lot of folks has been facing problems with these transports when they over use or some other issue with them
Getting spares in India for same is another headache

If we consider this issue IN then cheep DVDP + DAC make good sense
This is my personal opinion as I have face lot of issue with my last 2 budget CDP

~VijayK

Which ones? models?

Regards

Back