Is A.R.Rehman that great?

Asit - I dont know about others. But to me almost every post of yours in this thread has been a treasure trove.

And oh yes, I would not miss your class on Quantum mechanics given a chance:). Thank you for your explanations. I have always wanted to learn Carnatic music. But I dont know that I can, given my present age and penchant for laziness. Lets see if I can hope against hope. My wife too has a basic idea of Carnatic music and does want to learn it formally. Maybe one of these days we will find a considerate soul who can spare some time for us...

I know you are busy, but when you do get a chance, do listen to some of the songs from the movie 'Cheeni Kum' and let me know your thoughts on the compositions there. I keep giving you this movie because it is Hindi. As much as we say that music transcends the barriers of language, I believe there is no denying the positive effects of music when combined with meaningful lyrics which affect you.

So now, Asit, I have two important places to visit. Bombay - to meet Dinyaar and Kolkata to meet you! And of course, if you are ever in Chennai, you have a standing invitation to my home.

Lovely and interesting discussion :)

I think one of you might want to start a new thread on this.
The discussion has moved away from the original discussion. We are talking music now ;)

Hi asit,

I am trying to grasp as much as possible from all your explanations here and coming second best:) But its not your fault.:D

I am eager to know your thoughts on few Ilayaraja's songs posted above and certainly on Kalyana Then Nila.

@murali Hi friend! I am waiting for your 'Raja Songs' thread too.:)

cheers,
sri

Hi asit,

I am trying to grasp as much as possible from all your explanations here and coming second best:) But its not your fault.:D

I am eager to know your thoughts on few Ilayaraja's songs posted above and certainly on Kalyana Then Nila.

@murali Hi friend! I am waiting for your 'Raja Songs' thread too.:)

cheers,
sri

Sri - just wanted to chip in and say 'you are not alone'. I am also pretty much lost. But I like to think I am better off than before. Or something like that. :)

Suri and SrRamanujam,

Thanks for the great recommendations. I heard the compositions online and immediately liked them. Night Song (the title track in particular) is dark and rich and nice to listen to. Ghooghat is a typical Nusrat track with gusto and rhythm.
I may think of getting these tracks if I find myself listening to them more and more.

-Ajinkya.

Suri and SrRamanujam,

Thanks for the great recommendations. I heard the compositions online and immediately liked them. Night Song (the title track in particular) is dark and rich and nice to listen to. Ghooghat is a typical Nusrat track with gusto and rhythm.
I may think of getting these tracks if I find myself listening to them more and more.

-Ajinkya.

i could send you a legal copy of "night song" .....

Last edited:
A humble request to fellow forum members: I noticed on certain reply postings few forum members were trying to prove/justify that ARR is the most superior when compared with other music composers. I agree that, every one has the right to express their view but please avoid comparing with others and instead you can share more about the person whom you like to discuss.

For e.g. About an year back there was a thread comparing Mohd. Rafi Ji & Kishore Ji. Personally I felt very bad the way this thread was going on.

For that matter, to the best of my knowledge, ISAIGNANI cannot be compared with anyone. I am sure most of the fellow forum members would not be aware how great ISAIGNANI is ..........

[1] At his peak time, 6 to 8 recordings used to happen simultaneously on the same day at different recording studios in Chennai. He had 5 to 6 music conductors working for him to assist him. Which composer's recordings have happened to this extent?

[2] At one of the studios for a movie, he has spot composed tunes for 6 songs in just 30 minutes time. That was his capacity. I am sure that no one has broken this record till date.

I know all these news through my close friends who are professional musicians who play for most of the cine music composers in south.

Why can't we accept the fact that each and everyone person is unique and they are great in their own way. Please avoid comparisons in future. Thanks.

NOW .....

Check out this mind-blowing article about our ISAIGNANI MAESTRO ILAYARAJA AYYA.

Ilayaraja?s music is timeless

Cheers,
Ramesh @ Bangalore

Hi Ramesh,

That is the requirement of the day. Instead of losing ourselves in comparisons we should learn to enjoy good music irrespective of the artistes. And thanks for the link.

cheers,
sri

Last edited:
A.R. Rahman may or may not be that great. But I can surely say that he did contribute in bringing back the feeling of patriotism with the performance of "Vande Mataram.....Maa Tujhe Salaam" some years back......

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back