Is Blue Ray player can be close to CD Player to play audio ?

sudhirbhosale

Hi
I heard that some blue ray player models are good to play music. i.e. ACD and mp3. Those are atleast better than using DVD players for music. It is due to higher chipset used than DVD player. I came across Sony BDP S190.
I have below questions:
- Is this good for playing music?
- Any FM used this model specific?
- Is 3K price OK for this model?
- Any idea about DAC used in Sony BDP S190
- Does it play FLAC files?
- Any good reputed BDP models which is known as good player for audio?

Hi

Thats true....some models and brands are good for audio playback with decent video too...

I use the Pioneer BDP LX 55 which has an excellent chipset.....4 years now...it plays 3D and not 4k....serves my purpose and needs as of now.

Usually high end models have two HDMI outputs including optical / coaxial....these models cost quite a bit than the average BR player.

In terms of playback, the specs section of any brand and model will provide details on playback options....YouTube videos with ample reviews are available from users....this helps in better understanding....

Sonys X800 seems to be getting popular and seems to score over the Oppo 203.......

Panasonic also has some nice promising models....you can see those too....

Hi ,A normal Bluray player will be inferior to a dedicated CD player .However there are some bluray players like Pioneer BDP-180,Marantz UD7007/5007 ,Oppo Players which offers a good audio quality (as per reviews ,I haven't personally heard except Pioneer). Saying that I'm using a normal Bluray player of Samsung for playing CD ,but it is connected via coaxial to my Marantz PM6005 Integrated amp which has a decent inbuilt DAC of Cirrus Logic CS4398.So currently it satisfies my needs.U can also check Google chromecast audio which has decent DAC for the price range and its very easy for streaming the songs lossless from your mobile ,Laptop etc.,

IMO, I will not consider BDP180 as a cd player rather I would consider as a cd transport. I would use their digital out to a decent dac rather than using their analog outs.

Are you looking to play only audio CDs or blu rays also?
Old Oppo DVD or blu ray players were said to be excellent for CD playback.
I used to have a Marantz DV4001 DVD player which was also excellent for CD playback.

I have been using Panasonic BDT-220 for 3-4 years to play FLAC, WAV and MP3 files through 1TB hard disc besides audio CDs. I have connected it to Yamaha AVR through HDMI and opted output as PCM.
I am happy with the result.

It all depends the system in the chain. From my experience I didn't find much difference in systems having amplifiers which cost about 50K and in AVR's. In the Mid Fi and HiFi systems there is huge difference. Recently myself along with a friend done a swap test with Marantz PM6004 and PM14S1 with a Sony DVD player, CD6004 and SA-14 players with Focal 936 speakers. The difference is very marginal or nil with some tracks when the amplifier is 6004. But the difference is day and night when the amplifier is PM-14.

Generally I prefer CD player for CD playback because of below reasons
1. Generally CD players have better transport than commercial Bluray players.
2. Stiff heavy plate chassis which give better feel.
3. CDP's have better power supply with isolation transformer. In bluray/DVD players it will be cheaper SMPS type and many time we feel shocks when we touch.

It all depends the system in the chain. From my experience I didn't find much difference in systems having amplifiers which cost about 50K and in AVR's. In the Mid Fi and HiFi systems there is huge difference. Recently myself along with a friend done a swap test with Marantz PM6004 and PM14S1 with a Sony DVD player, CD6004 and SA-14 players with Focal 936 speakers. The difference is very marginal or nil with some tracks when the amplifier is 6004. But the difference is day and night when the amplifier is PM-14.

Generally I prefer CD player for CD playback because of below reasons
1. Generally CD players have better transport than commercial Bluray players.
2. Stiff heavy plate chassis which give better feel.
3. CDP's have better power supply with isolation transformer. In bluray/DVD players it will be cheaper SMPS type and many time we feel shocks when we touch.

Just to add one more point, dedicated CD players are designed to work with an odd 44.1KHz data stream used by audio CDs. They get data only in that sampling rate, and nothing else, ever. While DVD/Blu-ray players work with a more sane 48KHz number, or a multiple of that. Most of them do not switch to a 44.1KHz 'mode', but convert CD data from 44.1KHz to 48Hkz. This conversion is never perfect (like adding some dummy data samples), and makes the sound even more harsh & rough. It would remind you many times a second that you are listening to a digital sound, whereas with a good CD player or DAC you do tend to forget that; sometimes.

At the same time there are millions of people who play Audio CDs on DVD/Blu-ray players and are satisfied with it. Go by your ear and the remaining equipment in your audio chain.

Regards,
Sharad Medhavi

Did not find much difference between oppo bd 103 and a sony s380 bd player for audio, oppo has superior video quality

I think many people have already answered it but my summary:

- Entry CDP > Most Blu-ray players except the top of the range Marantz UDP/Oppo BDP Darbee etc....assuming that you have invested enough in the amp and speakers to be able to hear differences.

This is a bit circular but its true for most of us practically. I started with a Pioneer DVDP and a basic+1 Yamaha AVR and really sad (as I realized later) Yamaha HT speakers. Now matter how I changed my source, I wouldn't have heard 'better' audio. Its only after I bought a FS speaker that I realised I should upgrade my source!

Purchase the Audiolab 6000A Integrated Amplifier at a special offer price.
Back