Is HFV community getting abrasive and is that a concern?

• Thread starter Deleted member 15865
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 15865

Is it just me or do other older members also feel that HifiVision is losing the sensitivity and mutual regard that differentiated it from most online forums? Especially over the last 3-6 months - a period that has also seen large addition to the membership?

Sure, hobbyists are passionate and have strong views and beliefs. It’s also ok to argue for one’s point. This forum has always had lively discussions. But there was also a certain civility in the proceedings. FMs were careful with their language and made their points assertively, yet respectfully. Most of the members still do.

But increasingly, I am noticing harsh language being used, with little concern for the feelings of other members involved in the discussion. When some debate, they are forgetting that there’s a person like them at the other end. This insensitive conduct is spreading like a rash especially over the last few months. In the race to ‘be right’ (nothing wrong with that as such), are we ignoring ‘being nice‘?

I don’t know what’s the forum owner’s or moderators’ perception and stand on this. I can imagine they might be overwhelmed with the amount of activity on the forum these days to be able to track and act, even if they intend to.

But can we all exercise ‘self moderation‘ and can senior members share the responsibility and intervene/ call out inconsiderate conduct when they see it? If we don’t act in time, we could soon lose the ‘community‘ we have and descend into a faceless online ‘mob’.

Last edited by a moderator:
Very good thread @SachinChavan.
I think the influx of the freedom offered by social media is reverberating everywhere added to the dissipation of information and misinformation.

It might be sometimes difficult to moderate, both if there are not enough moderators to match the increasing number of members/posts.

Indeed a though provoking thread. I wish good suggestions are shared by members.

Do we have a 'Code of Conduct' kind of thing for the forum? I have not seen it so asking. Sometimes, putting the expectations in formal words makes people more aware and careful. Regards

I have a bitter experience dealing with one of the most senior members here. I think I am 2 decades younger than him. The discussion was for a speaker sale and the member used F words in the convo and degraded my peace of mind. I didn't even negotiate. I ended up buying a brand new speaker of the same make. It happened months ago and the senior member still stalks me and reacts to whatever I post on this forum. Sigh!

Last edited:
These are comprehensive rules and I had not read them till today!
I now am wondering if there are more like me on the forum.
it may be worth sending the link for all existing members and every new member for them to read and reply to a moderator that they understand (if they do) the rules and will follow them. If they don’t moderators can kindly explain why civility, polite language, mindfulness and respect for others views are good for everyone.
Further, it is also worth considering sending it around once a year (new year?) to all members to remind everyone periodically.

One should see the photography forums (JJMPF, DP Review) for an idea of how divisive the discourses can become. Let's regulate ourselves so that the admins don't have to clamp down and make it look like TBHP.

With the ever increasing number of people on the forum I doubt if we will see an improvement. It is tough to get to the level of moderation that forums like Teambhp has.

Reactions: arj
Is it just me or do other older members also feel that HifiVision is losing the sensitivity and mutual regard that differentiated it from most online forums? Especially over the last 3-6 months - a period that has also seen large addition to the membership?

Sure, hobbyists are passionate and have strong views and beliefs. It’s also ok to argue for one’s point. This forum has always had lively discussions. But there was also a certain civility in the proceedings. FMs were careful with their language and made their points assertively, yet respectfully. Most of the members still do.

But increasingly, I am noticing harsh language being used, with little concern for the feelings of other members involved in the discussion. When some debate, they are forgetting that there’s a person like them at the other end. This insensitive conduct is spreading like a rash especially over the last few months. In the race to ‘be right’ (nothing wrong with that as such), are we ignoring ‘being nice‘?

Sadly this is the state all over, even in my apartment group. People think they're entitled, easy access to social media lets them post first think later and old world charm and courtesy has flown out the window in general.

Regards

I have a bitter experience dealing with one of the most senior members here. I think I am 2 decades younger than him. The discussion was for a speaker sale and the member used F words in the convo and degraded my peace of mind.
#MeToo (different member though probably in his early 30's)

The lock-down and increase in work from home scenario due to pandemic also contributed lot of new blood into social media and forums in the recent past. People got more time to involve in online activities rather than before. So, many people seems simply jump in without understanding the value and objectives of the professional forums like HFV. May be, it takes some more time for them to understand the culture and responsibilities here. Any how, thanks to @SachinChavan for opening a discussion on this issue.

While I do see some posts getting more personal, I would say its still very limited in comparison to many other FB/Tech forums I have been a part off. Also owing to the nature of the hobby where one likes to audition, invite people over to audition have made a lot of good friends on this forum and hope the spirit continues in the same vein.

Besides some discussions in which pecuniary considerations are involved one notices things at times tend to get uncivil in technical discussions. I haven’t noticed this to be an issue where the discussion is about content — music and movies for example —where the passion isn’t any less intense.

It is and will be difficult to moderate an open forum/discussion with an iron fist. The foundation of a forum is that the responsibility lies with the members to maintain decorum and respect for other members. A forum is for sharing ideas not forcing, it is for gaining knowledge and imparting it to those who want it not to push propaganda. It is a place to have a discussion not bully - there are whatsapp groups for that :p.

In my experience people stand by their opinion so strongly that they are not ready to observe or absorb another opinion. Not a great way to grow, but well not everyone grows. Even in a small tight group there are always those who "Know Best". The entitlement is misguided and sadly can not be moderated.

However there are many here still who come to the table (here) with a wealth of knowledge and a lot of experience. I am here to follow those and grow my own knowledge being a complete noob in this hobby - half the posts I do not even understand - like the discussion @fLUX is currently having about integrating the two subs - the amount of googling I have done since that post started I haven't in the last year combined. Now that knowledge soup is worth having even with a few adulterants. The best way is to - ignore - which I am also learning slowly. It requires patience but that is a part of growing I guess.

@SachinChavan great you opened up here, perhaps many have been thinking this but haven't put it out here.

Last edited:
I think this group has mellowed down a bit from the early days where the debates were much fiercer till the massive exodus happened.

Some of the things which have definitely degraded is the 'For Sale' section wherein there are unnecessary infractions and new threads for the same. Probably as a result of stopping comments which used to lead to a different set of issues.

Looking back at my interactions here on the forum, I would say 99.9% were in good humour, pleasant, on topic, some very useful, others not so much.

The very small numbers that were either rude or offensive in tone or language however tended to be more intense, emotional and disturbing. On tracking back on these threads I could see in one or two where my posts were opinionated and led to knee jerk reactions or insulting ones.

But the vast majority of interactions on this forum have been good, occasionally not so interesting. And that is important.

A thought: when we find someone’s post offensive or insulting, rather than respond on the thread, we could just flag it with a moderator who could possibly try to deal with it and prevent further unpleasantry?

Looking back at my interactions here on the forum, I would say 99.9% were in good humour, pleasant, on topic, some very useful, others not so much.

The very small numbers that were either rude or offensive in tone or language however tended to be more intense, emotional and disturbing. On tracking back on these threads I could see in one or two where my posts were opinionated and led to knee jerk reactions or insulting ones.

But the vast majority of interactions on this forum have been good, occasionally not so interesting. And that is important.

A thought: when we find someone’s post offensive or insulting, rather than respond on the thread, we could just flag it with a moderator who could possibly try to deal with it and prevent further unpleasantry?
Agreed wholeheartedly...but sadly even the slightest negativity or a tirade in a thread often gets the maximum attention. It is kinda universal truth. Hence for any FM getting overboard, often the best way to stop or regulate is probably to ignore and not ignite.

We all need to constantly keep in mind that the content, language and tone of our posts reveal something about ourselves.
Before tapping or clicking on “post reply” a moment spent reviewing our replies and considering whether our responses could be better and making changes could go a long way in minimising unpleasant events.
I think it’s not possible to stop this completely, with some effort we can reduce such incidents.
Adding more rules and over bureaucratisation sucks the fun out and makes it boring.
We can call it self regulation or mindfulness etc.
But a moment spent reviewing and making changes before posting would be a good start for all of us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
For excellent sound that won't break the bank, the 5 Star Award Winning Wharfedale Diamond 12.1 Bookshelf Speakers is the one to consider!
Back