Is it worth buying an AVR from Dubai?

Vijay_s

I planned to visit dubai this weekend, i heard AVRs are cheaper in dubai than here, but i am not sure about the import duty imposed by our customs. Considering the customs duty is it worth buying it from there, At present Onkyo 606 or Yamaha 365/465 are the options in my mind.

Last edited:
I planned to visit dubai this weekend, i heard AVRs are cheaper in dubai than here, but i am not sure about the import duty imposed by our customs. Considering the customs duty is it worth buying it from there, At present Onkyo 606 or Yamaha 365/465 are the options in my mind.

Generally prices are cheaper. In addition to this there will be great deals on clearance sale, demo gears, etc. Just make sure you go to the right places.

If the product value is less than 25K INR there is no customs duty. You need to make sure that Invoice and the packaging shows the same model no. and the right amount. you should be sure about the baggage allowance. I recently flew to chennai and to my surprise emirates only allowed 30 kg (usually its 40 kg). You may end up paying excess baggage which will make the purchase more expensive.

if you want Onkyo, better to go to V.V & Sons showroon in Al Fahidi street, Bur Dubai. They usually have clearance sale there. Yamaha should be available from Thomsun Trading in Salaudin street. Apart from these, you get Onkyo and Yamaha from Big box stores such as Sharaf DG or DG+, but you have a better chance of getting clearance gear from the distributors.

Back