Is it worth upgrading to a new AV receiver?

harits

Hi All,

I have an old Denon AVR 3802 , 7.1 system that support DD and DTS. Is it worth upgrading to a new 7.1 receiver with HDMI etc given the following .
1. I do not need an upconversion to 1080P as all the players and STBs today have the upscale function. Moreover the TVs are also equipped with up-conversion.
2. I read in many forums (Dolby TrueHD vs. Dolby Digital 5.1? - Blu-ray Forum we cannot detect any noticeable audio quality difference between DD 5.1 and DD true HD or even corresponding DTS SD and DTS HD format outputs.

I would like to get some expert opinion from forum members here who has experienced both the realms. My prime focus is audio quality or better surround feeling and not other features like upscaling, ipod playback etc.

Thanks in advance.

harits

Last edited:
Replacing your Denon 3802 to an equal level or better receiver today is going to cost you quite a bit. If you have the funds, I would replace it. The quality of HD audio can be heard if you have a good speaker system which I guess you do.

I too don't care about upscaling, ipod and what not but I ended up buying a receiver with all these frills. They all have it. You can't avoid them.

If you are upgrading, I suggest you take the pre power route.

You have heard correctly. There is not so noticeable difference between DD/DTS 5.1 vs Lossless. There is a difference if you are comparing dedicated 7.1 track vs 5.1 track. But again that difference is in Surround speakers, so you will have to weigh that as well.

Another difference in latest receivers is perhaps the Room correction. It can do wonders in some rooms, taking care of some room modes. You need to decide whether that is something you need.

As for replacing your 3802 - the comparable model now-a-days is Denon 4311 or if you want latest - Denon 4520. That will also give you 11.1 processing along with Neo:X. (with 2 channel external amplification). There are 2 or 3 movies released with 11.1 Neo:X matrixed in.

Hi All,

I have an old Denon AVR 3802 , 7.1 system that support DD and DTS. Is it worth upgrading to a new 7.1 receiver with HDMI etc given the following .
1. I do not need an upconversion to 1080P as all the players and STBs today have the upscale function. Moreover the TVs are also equipped with up-conversion.
2. I read in many forums (Dolby TrueHD vs. Dolby Digital 5.1? - Blu-ray Forum we cannot detect any noticeable audio quality difference between DD 5.1 and DD true HD or even corresponding DTS SD and DTS HD format outputs.

I would like to get some expert opinion from forum members here who has experienced both the realms. My prime focus is audio quality or better surround feeling and not other features like upscaling, ipod playback etc.

Thanks in advance.

harits

I am also in the same boat with my Denon 3803 and am getting a player which can do on board decoding of HD audio formats for blu ray (Pioneer BDP-51FD) and is also a good CD player to boot. Manoj.P is the one who has helped me get this player and once I receive it, I will post a full review of it.

If you are looking to change the AVR just for HD audio decoding, my advice would be don't. Look for a player which can do on board decoding + 7.1 analogue outs so that decoding can happen in the player.

One more player which can do the same is Panasonic 500 but it is quite expensive at the moment.

Vinod

Vinod,

you haven't got it yet? I thought it was to be shipped from US in first week of Feb.

Hi Manoj,

Some shipping delays and now stuck in customs. Hopefully this weekend or next week I should get it. Once it is received I will let you know immediately.

I am hoping to get the player this weekend.

Vinod

Last edited:
Unless you have a top notch speaker setup you won't hear much of a difference. You would pay mostly for convenience and marketing gimmick.

Thanks everyone for the response. I think I shall wait for a while to get a good BD player with 7.1 decoding as mentioned by Vinod.

harits

I have the Denon 4311 coupled with the Oppo 95.The HDMI>DSD playback of SACD is so good that, now I am finding it difficult adjusting to Analog without Audissy XT 32.

The best in EQ, is great leap in refined sound.

Hi All,

Thanks in advance.

harits

i can give u an informed opinion as i have been through it all. i was in the same boat whether to replace the onkyo 504 avr with the new hdmi capable avrs like the 616. i have been using the avr in my main ht setup of panny projector setup. what i did was to connect the speaker outputs of my oppo 83 bd player to the avr and use the multichannel option, that way u wont feel any deficiency in the audio , at least in real life scenario u wont miss anything.

now the other side of the coin. i just bought the onkyo 414 on ebayglobal and set it up for the living room ht with panasonic 50 inch plasma, panasonic 3d bluray player, lg dvd player, wd tv live media player and polk speakers in 5.1 setup.
here i am feeding all the hdmis into the avr and outputting the hdmi from avr to the tv.
i can tell u with out doubt, there is definitely an improvement in picture quality of all the inputs, except for the bluray, which is from the avr.

iwas thinking of getting onkyo 616 for my main dedicated ht, but now after having seen the 414 also i have come to the conclusion that i wouldnt have to bother about it at all. so until the 504 conks out i wont even think about replacing it.
hope this helps.:cool:

A beautiful, well-constructed speaker with class-leading soundstage, imaging and bass that is fast, deep, and precise.
Back