Is more than 240Volt an Issue?

spirovious

Hi,

Recently I faced a problem with AVR.It used to shut down after 15-20 mins of use.I did all the possible things,but nothing worked.So just took to a technician and it played without an issue for 40 mins (even with full volume).So I thought something wrong with my A/C power line.Did check voltage and it came to be 252-volts. Some days its 242-volt.

Now my question is, will that extra 10volt can make issue?
Even my display fuse too blew away.So wanted your technical opinion.

Thanks.

Hi,

Recently I faced a problem with AVR.It used to shut down after 15-20 mins of use.I did all the possible things,but nothing worked.So just took to a technician and it played without an issue for 40 mins (even with full volume).So I thought something wrong with my A/C power line.Did check voltage and it came to be 252-volts. Some days its 242-volt.

Thanks.
you are suppose to use stabilizer in this case.
Do not try again and again and it might landing in big issue.
Let us know you are using stabilzer or not.?

[emoji41]

There was never a need of a stabilzer for last 10 yrs till l got this issue recently.So not there.

There was never a need of a stabilzer for last 10 yrs till l got this issue recently.So not there.
Imo you need a stabilizer ..must.
Reg 240+ volt there are chances i would say your system can misbehave since your AVR/Electrical appliances suppose to be designed for 230 +/_ 5volts

[emoji41]

I used to face this with my Nad amp. Some kind of protection mechanism kicking in. Only in my case it was with the low voltage. A stabiliser worked.

Hi,

Thanks.

Which part of Mumbai are you from ?

I had recently got myself a Power conditioner which also shows the Current voltage. i have been noticing that the current voltage is around 235-242v

This is in Malad West area.

I am at Mulund.l never had problems till last month.
You should raise a complaint with electricity board, even I had such issues at my house after complaint they fixed some from the distribution transformer. In my case the voltage use to even reach 280V, several equipment burnt when these peaks happened.

I observed the voltage also varies (+/-10v) between the low and peak load times in a day on the distribution transformer.

Regards
Bilal

252V is too high for devices designed for 230V.

Mine is also always high, 235-238V, sometimes touching 240V.

From electrical point of view, let's say the secondary winding of your transformer must supply the correct secondary voltage of "X" Volts AC so that the rectified DC voltage must be say 15V DC which is the nominal supply voltage for components like opamps. If primary is too high, the rectified DC will be higher than required nominal voltage, which may no longer be within the Safe Operating Area (SOA) for some devices. This could lead to over heating of components, and in worse cases lead to components blowing.

Most power supply boards will be using a regulated DC voltage and current before supplying to the op-amp. Only the power-amps are not regulated in some cases.

I have also seen MOV (Metal oxide Varistor) across transformer AC inputs which is for 250Volts. If the voltage goes above that they simply get shorted which will anyway blow the fuse of the amplifier to cause minimum damage to later circuitry.

In my case the AVR uses a step-down transformer from 240Volts to 120 volts. The measured voltage is always around 115 volts, so there are no tripping in case of voltage increases. But in my earlier days of the amplifier (year 2004-2005) there use to be tripping, due to very low impedance of my loudspeaker and the stepdown transformer not able to supply current at high volume levels. Once the volume was reduced, the amplifier use to turn on automatically. I do not face this problem now-a-days as my speakers are more refined and accurate.

Update-
Yesterday I complained MSEB about issue.Today I received message that problem solved.
When I checked voltage,it was 252V only.They even didn't come home to measure voltage.

Update-
Yesterday I complained MSEB about issue.Today I received message that problem solved.
When I checked voltage,it was 252V only.They even didn't come home to measure voltage.
LOL! Mseb sometimes doesn't send me the photo of the meter reading, sends me a message to take a picture and send it to them using their app. I would not trust their communication.

Sent from my SM-A910F using Tapatalk

Finally MSEB came to check.At meter board nothing was found.I requested to check again at Home.Then they found voltage 247.Then they rechecked all main phase boxes and found some issue with Pump line.So 2 days it took to solved issue.
Now I get 238 to 241V(max).:cool:

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back