Is the rush for HD set-top boxes justified ??

I paid around Rs.3300 for my Dish Tru HD STB and I am totally happy with having spent this money, if only to watch the FIFA WC & Wimbledon in HD. The difference in PQ is significant. Once you watch sports in HD, you will never want to get back to watching in SD.

If you have a >30" TV and you like watching sports & science/nature programs, then getting a HD STB is a no brainer. The PQ on the HD channels is so good that you may not even want to watch SD channels after you have seen HD channels for a few days.

With FIFA WC over, I do not think I will recharge the Dish Tru HD service. The primary reason for this is that the quality of the Dish TV HD STB is really bad. I had bought this STB when Dish TV was the only HD service showing FIFA WC. With more options in the market, I do not want to give Dish TV any more cash for their crappy STB & service.

I already have a TS SD STB, which has a subscription valid till sometime next year. For SD broadcasts, the TS SD STB + my AVR's upscaler does a better job than either my TV or the Dish STB's upscaler.

Once TS+ comes out with a HD version, I will upgrade my Tata Sky SD STB to a HD TS+ STB. Given the number of repeat programms on both Discovery HD & Nat Geo HD, a PVR is a must if you do a lot of TV watching ;)

-- no1lives4ever

I paid around Rs.3300 for my Dish Tru HD STB and I am totally happy with having spent this money, if only to watch the FIFA WC & Wimbledon in HD.

With FIFA WC over, I do not think I will recharge the Dish Tru HD service. The primary reason for this is that the quality of the Dish TV HD STB is really bad. I had bought this STB when Dish TV was the only HD service showing FIFA WC. With more options in the market, I do not want to give Dish TV any more cash for their crappy STB & service.
I like the way you think. Actually, this is exactly why I got Dish TruHD inspite of the fact that I already had SunDirect HD. I too have no plans on renewing service after the two, free months service. The quality of the set-top box is truelly quite pathetic and the fact that Dish TruHD has no DD 5.1 audio on any channels nor do they have any plans for it. They are truelly the DTH service, for only the 'cheap' minded.

I have Dish DTH as of now.. and pictures are banding on my 42" HD ready plasma... I am getting free Airtel HD DTH.. but then not sure if I should vouch for that. I will have to pay 750 for same and it will give me 75 days free viewing.

Reading all forums.. I feel TATA SKY is better for HD...

Can you tell me what to do...

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back