Is the rush for HD set-top boxes justified ??

Spidey

Hi folks

As can be seen by the number of threads started and running on the HD service providers, we can say our members have gon ga-ga on HD !

Are we justified in buying a HD box now with :

1) Market and providers are immature and in developmental stage
2) Delay in delivery and implementation
3) ONLY 1,2 or max 3 HD channels
4) Is the HD box giving a very significant gain in quality ??

Regards

The DTH companies have priced their STB's very well. I mean, TS HD is priced at 2600 (1000 more than the normal SD box). At this price, I'd say go for it.

Like night and day. Especially the WC being shown in HD.

The success of HD depends upon their ability to add more channels - both hindi and english.

If you have a HD/HD Ready TV.. you're not doing it justice watching mediocre SD content.

The pricing isn't that bad.. Channels are less.. but hey its a start!

For the price they have offered I'd say definitely justified specially for the new users ..... but yes for TS+ does not make sense ..... also about channels .... as kwo said its a start, gradually channels would be added and it would not be more than 6,8 months when we would have respectable number of channels ....

I am just waiting for TS+ HD to launch .....

On the intial stages when bluray rised there were only few BD's which can entertain and make us to sit for only 2hours and less were available(still can be counted) in the market, BD players were sold in millions and still it is growing stronger...HD channels ( 1 or 2) can entertain for 24 hours is a big deal and there is no doubt lot of programs which were already in USA and europe is going to get retelecasted here and those channels will have loads of continuos programs.

Only few members who have big screen can differentiate the HD telecast quality of various programs( not comparing SD telecast)

Somewhere in another thread i have read not to compare this with Bluray... Whether BD is compressed or this telecast is compressed is not an question to discuss the winner is ESPN HD & Wimbledon telecast:) and other two HD channels in which more programs were telecasted which is shot in HD camera.

HD is here to stay. It makes absolute sense for anyone with a HDTV to get HD DTH, specially at the prices that are now prevailing. If you can buy a HDTV, you can most certainly afford to pay Rs. 2500 for a HD set-top box and service. Once you view HD, there is no way to go back to watchign SD, specially the SD available via DTH in India. Mark my words, in a year from now the predominant sales of DTH will be HD.

The DTH companies have priced their STB's very well. I mean, TS HD is priced at 2600 (1000 more than the normal SD box). At this price, I'd say go for it.

+1.
It is a no brainer for new connections.
Should we 'upgrade' to HD from sormal SD DTH is a different question.

Hi folks

As can be seen by the number of threads started and running on the HD service providers, we can say our members have gon ga-ga on HD !

Regards

Please find my answers below -

- The product rolled out is good and tested. Till now have not faced any issues with TS HD box and PQ is awesome. So no concerns on the quality of hardware or the product.

- Delay is primarily due to huge demand and less supply which is common in case of any new product that launches in the market be it HD box or IPhone or Ipad.
I have mentioned in many of my posts that most of the users who are ordering online are the ones getting impacted. So it is better to find a dealer and buy the
product of the shelf and call for installation as that will not take more than 48 to 72 hours.

- As of now channels are only 4 in TS HD but will increase over a period of time. Specially for nature lovers and sport fanatics its the best thing that even happened. Believe me watching the England Vs Germany match in Full HD on a 130" screen the atmosphere is electrifying. You have to witness it to feel the same.

- Definitely watch the sports HD channels and you will see the difference is mind blowing you cant compare the PQ of SD channels with HD channels.

All the above observations are my personal and are given with respect to the experience i have had with my TS HD box i can't vouch for the services being provided from other providers except TS as i am using the same.

Last edited:
+1.
It is a no brainer for new connections.
Should we 'upgrade' to HD from sormal SD DTH is a different question.

I too am in the same boat and with most of the world cup gone, I think I will wait for sometime before taking the plunge.

Hi folks

Regards

Thats right the question now is how long these HD channels will be able to maintain their HD quality. I remember all these DTH operators advertising their services as DVD quality and finally we all got to see video quality far inferior from a properly mastered DVD.

Therefore I have great doubts as how long these 1080i channels will be transmitted in true HD as more channels will be packed in the same limited bandwidth.

Therefore I would wait for some time before going HD.....meantime for me its Blu Ray for HD content........:yahoo:

Thats right the question now is how long these HD channels will be able to maintain their HD quality. I remember all these DTH operators advertising their services as DVD quality and finally we all got to see video quality far inferior from a properly mastered DVD.

Therefore I have great doubts as how long these 1080i channels will be transmitted in true HD as more channels will be packed in the same limited bandwidth.

Therefore I would wait for some time before going HD.....meantime for me its Blu Ray for HD content........:yahoo:
Your fears are well founded and things may end up just like they are with SD. But, then again I feel, the DTH companies will not be able to downgrade the quality too much, for now the consumer will have seen and gotten used to a certain level of quality. Either way you look at it though, the fact is HD will still be far better than the totally unwatchable SD that we have been getting so far. If nothing else, we will now get atleast the euivalent of good SD in the name of HD and at the least programming will be in 16:9 and we won't have to worry about black bars or squished pictures. This too would be better than the current situation

it's a no brainer. the quality and the price. the delays are inevitable due to demand but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it.

And so what if there are only 5 HD channels, just for watching the world cup in HD and nothing else, i would have happily paid 2600, but hey for that i get the HD set top box, an HDMI cable, and one year's free subscription to all the HD channels.

If this is not value, then I don't know what is!!

it's a no brainer. the quality and the price. the delays are inevitable due to demand but that doesn't mean you shouldn't go for it.

And so what if there are only 5 HD channels, just for watching the world cup in HD and nothing else, i would have happily paid 2600, but hey for that i get the HD set top box, an HDMI cable, and one year's free subscription to all the HD channels.

If this is not value, then I don't know what is!!

I agree 100% on the same and i had mentioned the same earlier in my post.

That specially for nature lovers and sport fanatics its the best thing that ever happened. Spending Rs 2600 to watch Wimbledon and football World cup is pea nuts when you compare it to the PQ and the feeling of watching the same in HD.

I feel its worth every penny spent and this is not the end of HD in India it is the beginning thats why there is a mad rush to get hold of these boxes.

People were watchful and after initial reviews if you notice daily one or the other forum member is picking up a box in their city and posting and it is generating good vibes.

Members who had enjoyed the HD telecast in their PJ /screen will never/ever regret the buying decission:licklips:. Showcase HD telecast is also good( saw bits of sample for few minutes...

Members please do check with customer care along with new HD connection one Showcase HD movie is """"free"""" for me Jodha Akbar" given.. I missed it and will try to watch in next schedule.

Sri i agree with you on the same. I watched the England Vs Germany match last week on my HD 20 on a 130" screen and the PQ was awesome, i had seen SD channels earlier on my PJ and one could easily make out the difference.

Even if you watch a Blu Ray on a 1024 X 768 Projector the output is fantastic compared to DVD..........its sharp with good color.......

- Definitely watch the sports HD channels and you will see the difference is mind blowing you cant compare the PQ of SD channels with HD channels.

The quality may (probably will) go down, but then by that very logic the best time to enjoy is now, when its best.

Don't wait, its worth it.

If you have a HDTV then you must buy it, content as of now is limited ,but sure it will pick up and the prices of the HD STB isn't gonna fall much from the current Rs 2500 range,right now i'm pretty satisfied with my hathaway SD stb but i'm sure i ll upgrade soon

Buy from India's official online dealer!
Back