Isn't Sony BDV-3100 at Rs.28000 a VFM HTIB?

Thank you for your explanation. And regarding your previous recommendation I have a doubt...

The following are from marquees of adverts flashing in my browser due to my search history. (They flash adverts related to recent searches)

Marantz NR1711 7.2Ch 8k Ultra HD AV Receiver Rs.85000 (vplak)
Polk Audio T30 -Centre Channel Speaker (Black) Rs.14000(avshack)
Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers - Pair Rs.14000 (av shack)
JBL Arena 6IC -6.5 inch In-Ceiling Speaker (Pair) - Rs. 11500(av shack)
All of the above plus a sub woofer for about 25k to 30k should work out to about 1.5 lakhs range.
Is the 1.45 lakhs second hand recommendation better than this new purchase that I can buy from different sources?

All of the above plus a sub woofer for about 25k to 30k should work out to about 1.5 lakhs range.
I would instead save that money for now and go for a decent Sub at a later point when I have sufficient funds. At least go with QB12 (retails around 55K); anything below that is not worth it.

Thank you for your explanation. And regarding your previous recommendation I have a doubt...

The following are from marquees of adverts flashing in my browser due to my search history. (They flash adverts related to recent searches)

Marantz NR1711 7.2Ch 8k Ultra HD AV Receiver Rs.85000 (vplak)
Polk Audio T30 -Centre Channel Speaker (Black) Rs.14000(avshack)
Polk Audio T15 Bookshelf Speakers - Pair Rs.14000 (av shack)
JBL Arena 6IC -6.5 inch In-Ceiling Speaker (Pair) - Rs. 11500(av shack)
Is the 1.45 lakhs second hand recommendation better than this new purchase that I can buy from different sources?

There is a huge difference in sound output and quality based on what you listed and what is being sold as pre owned over olx if that is what you are referring to.

You can check the specs online and even the brands and their current pricing, The AVR in terms of latest features may differ. Output and quality differs here and you need to decide what all features you will use.

Whatever is listed on OLX should be checked and then negotiated further and a final call should be taken with a pinch of salt. You will need to check everything, all features and working performances before closing the deal. No one can guarantee the life of any electronic, it all depends on its current state (condition) and how will it be used going forward by the new owner.

For new products, a lot of ads will definitely flash in your browser, please be careful, there are also fraud sites who may flash tempting deals and you can get duped.

Have you checked with Volumate? Sometimes there are clearance sales

First you need to make up your mind as in what kind of AVR and speakers you need for the listening space you have, then next is to shortlist on possible brands & models that fill your requirement. Budget also needs to be factored, if limited then either you get the AVR and 2 front speakers and then slowly start building the system as budget becomes available later with the remaining speakers and subwoofer.

The other option is the pre owned route where you can check classifieds on this portal or OLX and can possibly get something more better with the limited budget you have in hand....note that you need to do a lot of checks etc. before buying any pre owned products,

I have auditioned at volumate. It is in a narrow street near thinakaran office and the young owner of the store Mr.Harwin told me AVR rates have skyrocketed and that he cannot provide me a good setup for less than 2 lakhs.

I have auditioned at volumate. It is in a narrow street near thinakaran office and the young owner of the store Mr.Harwin told me AVR rates have skyrocketed and that he cannot provide me a good setup for less than 2 lakhs.

It is good that you have auditioned and it will give you some idea of what a dedicated proper system is capable of. It is not necessary to get all things from one dealer. See who offers the best rate and make the purchases.

Again, if budget is an issue, pre owned stuff is the best solution to get a good system which would have costed more if purchased new.

Another option if you want a new system is to get the AVR and front speakers, later start adding the remaining speakers as and when budget permits.

Another option if you want a new system is to get the AVR and front speakers, later start adding the remaining speakers as and when budget permits.
Now that's a good plan too. I have read some threads in that line. For example AVR + Left + centre + right. And later going for rear, sub and ceiling/Atmos. I have touchbased with a few Quikr and OLX sellers of AVRs in Chennai. They are asking for prices that was nearly a new product price a year or so ago. And surprisingly when I ask them to share their address for an inspection, they immediately say they are busy and what not.

Second thing is last year I spent 4 lakhs on two TVs and Rs. 20000 on HTRT3, Rs.50000 on blue ray movies plus a year before that about Rs.39000 on PS4 plus about Rs. 60000 on Games CDs and online games plus PS plus. That makes me wanna slow down on entertainment/luxury expenses.

However the dilemma that it has brought me is with more than 110 games and movie discs in hand (and more to come in the next few months), an audio solution that can uplift and bring these discs to life is very much needed. With more investment comes the need for much more afaik wrt electronics. But the good news is, I will be done, with my home entertainment investment post the home theater audio build up. No more building blocks needed.

Here is another quote I got today Denon 1700 + Polk S50, S30, S15, Hts 10, for Atmos OWM3 for Rs.195000.

Here is another quote I got today Denon 1700 + Polk S50, S30, S15, Hts 10, for Atmos OWM3 for Rs.195000.

Dealer will always push what is expensive.

For example, if you are looking for a deent HT on a budget, there is no need to go for Floorstanders.

Ask this dealer to quote for : Denon 1700 + Polk S20 (fronts), Polk S10 (surround) , Polk S30 (centre) , HTS10

If your budget is more limited, ask for a quote for Denon 1700 + Polk T Series 5.1 package.

Here is another quote I got today Denon 1700 + Polk S50, S30, S15, Hts 10, for Atmos OWM3 for

For example, if you are looking for a deent HT on a budget, there is no need to go for Floorstanders.
To add to what argho said:
You can definitely avoid floorstanders for now. Get decent LCR bookshelves and as and when you want, you can add FS and move the bookshelves to surround duty.

Also note, speakers last long, depend on your taste and hence should be considered carefully than AVRs (unless you are looking for specific features).

This is my opinion:
Within the same budget, get a better AVR and just LCR for now.
Defer sub and FS for some later time.

Question:
How do you play blurays now? And, have you considered 4k blurays? Any streaming services?

I am not a fan of expensive soundbars, which promise 5.1 etc.

If budget is a real constraint, buy an AVR , a pair of bookshelf speakers (for front left and right), and a decent subwoofer.

This will be :
- far better than any soundbar
- will last a long time
- give you the flexibility , as you save, to add speakers later and slowly build out a full 5.1 system

Where have you placed your tv? Were you happy with your sony HTIB? If so, go ahead with your initial plan of buying a sound bar or htib. This forum has a habit of suggesting things costing 10x to the initial budget.

Now that's a good plan too. I have read some threads in that line. For example AVR + Left + centre + right. And later going for rear, sub and ceiling/Atmos. I have touchbased with a few Quikr and OLX sellers of AVRs in Chennai. They are asking for prices that was nearly a new product price a year or so ago. And surprisingly when I ask them to share their address for an inspection, they immediately say they are busy and what not.

Second thing is last year I spent 4 lakhs on two TVs and Rs. 20000 on HTRT3, Rs.50000 on blue ray movies plus a year before that about Rs.39000 on PS4 plus about Rs. 60000 on Games CDs and online games plus PS plus. That makes me wanna slow down on entertainment/luxury expenses.

However the dilemma that it has brought me is with more than 110 games and movie discs in hand (and more to come in the next few months), an audio solution that can uplift and bring these discs to life is very much needed. With more investment comes the need for much more afaik wrt electronics. But the good news is, I will be done, with my home entertainment investment post the home theater audio build up. No more building blocks needed.

Most of us have provided various options and suggestions. It is now purely your call to decide what you want and how much you need to spend. All of us can recommend / give pointers based on our experiences. Your call at the end of the day to make a choice and invest accordingly. You are the end user and not us!

1. Don't buy Polk without auditioning.
2. Plan your HT with Atmos support as you are going to spend on BDs. Doesn't make sense to spend a bundle on non atmos system in today's time.
3. Start with a good AVR plus 1) eco 5.1/5.1.2 pack and upgrade speakers over time or 2) Decent 2.1/3.1 pack. Add other speaker over time.

P.S. FM @girishtd8262 is selling his Denon 3600.

Last edited:
Where have you placed your tv? Were you happy with your sony HTIB? If so, go ahead with your initial plan of buying a sound bar or htib. This forum has a habit of suggesting things costing 10x to the initial budget.
HtIB that I have rarely gives surround effects. That's why I am looking for something that does.

1)You can definitely avoid floorstanders for now. 2) Get decent LCR bookshelves and as and when you want, you can add FS and move the bookshelves to surround duty.

This is my opinion:
Within the same budget, get a better AVR and just LCR for now.
Defer sub and FS for some later time.

Question:
3) How do you play blurays now? And, have you considered 4k blurays? Any streaming services?
Well this floorstanders in Polk was a suggestion given by the dealer. I must decide if it will work or not. The viewing distance is not that much and so it is best with BS.

Avr plus 2.1 and then to 3.1(center) and then 5.1(surrounds) is a good plan. Thanks a lot.

So title is for general knowledge?
Partly that and partly due to the prevailing situation. You see, currently, AVRs are sold at MRP prices by dealers online. The dealers offline do not sell AVRs alone and blindly sell a package of AVR+speakers(LRC,Surrounds,ceilings)+.1+cables+installation+calibration=2 lakhs plus. This makes progressive and staged building up difficult over time as AVR has to be bought at maximum retail price.

Like Denon 1700 going at 90k for example. So spending 2 lakhs on the real experience is inevitable, as, looking at alternatives such as soundbars and HTIBs all we get is a Mickey mouse setup with an amplifier inbuilt to a sound card and not an AVR level amplifier.
To add to the woes, an AVR lasts only 3 years at most in this day and age. We are left with further predicament of dealing with wires, neighbours and family members discomfort over treble and a number of other things. One other thing that's a dying breed is blue ray players. So I thought I might get a bd player plus a supposed 1000 watts speakers as a stop gap solution if my current HTRT3 goes bust yet again. (post warranty I won't repair it). So not just sheer general knowledge question.

Partly that and partly due to the prevailing situation. You see, currently, AVRs are sold at MRP prices by dealers online. The dealers offline do not sell AVRs alone and blindly sell a package of AVR+speakers(LRC,Surrounds,ceilings)+.1+cables+installation+calibration=2 lakhs plus. This makes progressive and staged building up difficult over time as AVR has to be bought at maximum retail price.

Like Denon 1700 going at 90k for example. So spending 2 lakhs on the real experience is inevitable, as, looking at alternatives such as soundbars and HTIBs all we get is a Mickey mouse setup with an amplifier inbuilt to a sound card and not an AVR level amplifier.
To add to the woes, an AVR lasts only 3 years at most in this day and age. We are left with further predicament of dealing with wires, neighbours and family members discomfort over treble and a number of other things. One other thing that's a dying breed is blue ray players. So I thought I might get a bd player plus a supposed 1000 watts speakers as a stop gap solution if my current HTRT3 goes bust yet again. (post warranty I won't repair it). So not just sheer general knowledge question.
Hi Sir,
Combining what you said in first post and this post, short answer is, yes, they will be great value at that price.

I don't know much about BR players. So, from what you have said, only things I would add are these:
1. What do you personally think of this BR player? Is this the best you would want to plough money on? Considering your future path of collecting BRs, get the best BR player available today within your budget.
2. Would suggest go with the best BR player for your money, considering you are building a library, sound can come later. Let your current speakers do duty till they break down.
3. By the time you arrive at a point when they do indeed break down - which Sonys seldom do - there is always a fix. And they do treat customers nicely, so they might even fix your next problem.

4. When they finally give up is probably when you should look at buy-and-forget Speaker system + AVR (with probably a three-year life cycle)
5. Keep auditioning in the meanwhile. Listen to as many speakers as possible. Keep this 5.1 or soundbar quest on ice for a while.

At the least, wait for your speakers to go kaput before any next steps, as you rightly said, prices are downright bonkers today.
Regards

Question:
How do you play blurays now? And, have you considered 4k blurays? Any streaming services?
I missed this question of yours My PS4 plays blue ray at the moment. By this purchase I will have the option of playing movies in BD and my children would play PS4 games with the console. Life of the console will improve too. UHD BD Players are at present not needed by me as all my titles are and would continue be FHD only. Infact very few uhd bd are available for reasonable price.

Check out our special offers on Stereo Package & Bundles for all budget types.
Back