Isn't Sony BDV-3100 at Rs.28000 a VFM HTIB?

Hi Sir,
Combining what you said in first post and this post, short answer is, yes, they will be great value at that price.

I don't know much about BR players. So, from what you have said, only things I would add are these:
1. What do you personally think of this BR player? Is this the best you would want to plough money on? Considering your future path of collecting BRs, get the best BR player available today within your budget.
2. Would suggest go with the best BR player for your money, considering you are building a library, sound can come later. Let your current speakers do duty till they break down.
3. By the time you arrive at a point when they do indeed break down - which Sonys seldom do - there is always a fix. And they do treat customers nicely, so they might even fix your next problem.

4. When they finally give up is probably when you should look at buy-and-forget Speaker system + AVR (with probably a three-year life cycle)
5. Keep auditioning in the meanwhile. Listen to as many speakers as possible. Keep this 5.1 or soundbar quest on ice for a while.

At the least, wait for your speakers to go kaput before any next steps, as you rightly said, prices are downright bonkers today.
Regards
Very true. Thanks for your critical reasoning points, that further narrows my quest. I will try to audition more like you said. This is not the best BR drive in market but it will serve the purpose. The HTRT3 had two repairs recently and a third would be out of warranty and like you say I will look at options once it gets busted.
Yesterday Mr.Harwin has given me some quotation too after senior FM Naveen (love4sound) had called him and reminded about my pending querry. More options and solutions have come and I will keep you posted. Sorry for making this a long thread.

critical reasoning points,
Not at all, sir.
Am full heart over head when it comes to it, even after doing full head over heart dance for many months. :D
But you were so clear in your thoughts, hence I thought I would also let the head lead.
I will try to audition more like you said. This is not the best BR drive in market but it will serve the purpose.
Then, budget must be king sir.
The HTRT3 had two repairs recently and a third would be out of warranty and like you say I will look at options once it gets busted.
Nothing Chennai boys can't fix, I can assure you. They do wonders. Unless, of course, the motherboard goes kaput. But that is a remote possibility. You can drive your beasts for many more months to come.
Yesterday Mr.Harwin has given me some quotation too after senior FM Naveen (love4sound) had called him and reminded about my pending querry. More options and solutions have come and I will keep you posted.
Wishing you the best. L4S is the most connected person in these circles. Am sure the quote won't fail you.
Nonetheless, if we keep a budget of 1.5L, I would still suggest you break it into .5 for AVR, .75 for LCR, and .75 for the sub.
Always treat the AVR or any processing as recurring expenditure, irrespective of cost cycle.
And speakers and sub as long-term investments.
The less proportion on AVR, the better.

Sorry for making this a long thread.
Absolutely not sir.
Half the people over here would not have had their best TV in years if not for you.
Of course, I speak for myself, but I do see how you go out of your way to guide people to good choices irrespective of LCD or OLED :D
Take it easy, take it slow, is all I would say.
It's your call and your money and what feels best to you at what price point and what time is all up to you.
Just enjoy your Bluray. :)

Not at all, sir.
Am full heart over head when it comes to it, even after doing full head over heart dance for many months. :D
But you were so clear in your thoughts, hence I thought I would also let the head lead.

Then, budget must be king sir.

Nothing Chennai boys can't fix, I can assure you. They do wonders. Unless, of course, the motherboard goes kaput. But that is a remote possibility. You can drive your beasts for many more months to come.

Wishing you the best. L4S is the most connected person in these circles. Am sure the quote won't fail you.
Nonetheless, if we keep a budget of 1.5L, I would still suggest you break it into .5 for AVR, .75 for LCR, and .75 for the sub.
Always treat the AVR or any processing as recurring expenditure, irrespective of cost cycle.
And speakers and sub as long-term investments.
The less proportion on AVR, the better.

Absolutely not sir.
Half the people over here would not have had their best TV in years if not for you.
Of course, I speak for myself, but I do see how you go out of your way to guide people to good choices irrespective of LCD or OLED :D
Take it easy, take it slow, is all I would say.
It's your call and your money and what feels best to you at what price point and what time is all up to you.
Just enjoy your Bluray. :)
Ha ha, in audio I am a beginner. Once I get a working knowledge of audio components and gradually increase my knowledge, I probably will stop asking silly redundant questions.

Back