Isolation transformer

• Thread starter Deleted member 38504
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 38504

Guys I want a simple non technical explanation please.

1. What does it do?

2. Is it advisable in a HT or stereo setup?

3. What will it do in a HT or a stereo setup?

4. Any benefits?

Thank you.

Guys I want a simple non technical explanation please.

1. What does it do?
It isolates your system from main circuit which means less of AC noise getting into your system.
2. Is it advisable in a HT or stereo setup?
Yes and in fact power conditioning is a must.
3. What will it do in a HT or a stereo setup?
Should bring the noise floor down.
4. Any benefits?
Yes, but not that level of difference that you cannot live without it.
Thank you.

I introduced isolation transformer in my system long ago but recently tried something called Balanced Power from Equitech and this is something I cannot live without. Voices and instruments have taken such a nice shape that is making music sound so realistic and the noise floor has gone down drastically.

I would forcibly encourage you to read about this - you can start from Equitech and then I see some available from China too. Please check out the links below; whatever reading I have done so far indicates that these do both - isolates and supplies balance power to the system and benefit is seen mostly with the equipment running on 3-pin AC supply.

I'm not looking at any Sonic improvements. I'm just looking to get clean power to the amps and reduce the loops buzz and hiss from the amps and speakers.

What u said, is it available in India? Thanks.

I have tried using an isolation transformer on my setup couple of months ago and finally removed them. They sounded nice for first 30 minutes or so after that lost all punch and transients. Once the core of the transformer gets saturated they do more harm than good imo.

If 50 Hz and 100 Hz hum/ buzz is an issue you can try using audio isolation transformer at your IC. Alternatively you can try a LPF @ around 1MHz to filter all RF& EMI noise.

Any side effects or bad effects of using a isolation transformer in HT or music setup?

I'm not looking at any Sonic improvements. I'm just looking to get clean power to the amps and reduce the loops buzz and hiss from the amps and speakers.

What u said, is it available in India? Thanks.

If they are available in India or not will something have to be researched (by you :)) but you can certainly try the one on eBay from China and trust me that the change it has shown in my system is just so good and I am very confident that it will help you too.

The Equitech certainly looks very nice. Unfortunately it’s not available to buy in India. You haven’t tried the Chinese one from eBay right?

Hey, these guys also have an audio power conditioner... Can someone please check with them the difference between their Audio power conditioner and the isolation transformer? They are based out of Bangalore...

Hey, these guys also have an audio power conditioner... Can someone please check with them the difference between their Audio power conditioner and the isolation transformer? They are based out of Bangalore...

@panditji
Did you/anyone get more information?
I am seriously looking at their medical-grade Iso Tranny.

There seem to be dangers associated with using balanced transformers, on kit not designed to run on these . Usually medical diagnostic equipment are designed inherently to work with these. I can't share the details here due to forum rules, as Iam not allowed to cross post from other forums. But do your due diligence before you spring for one. Usually in normal wall plugs, we have one ground, one live and one neutral . With The power supply being on the live line, where the fuse is supposed to work as intended. In a balanced line, I've been told that the power comes via two lines...both neutral as well the live. So in case of the power surge, where the fuse blows . The supply is still on to the circuit because of the neutral line. Iam no electrical engineer to verify any of these . But during my quest for better quality power this I what I came across. So please do your due diligence and use Google. And please don't nail the messenger :D

Last edited:
There seem to be dangers associated with using balanced transformers, on kit not designed to run on these . Usually medical diagnostic equipment are designed inherently to work with these. I can't share the details here due to forum rules, as Iam not allowed to cross post from other forums. But do your due diligence before you spring for one. Usually in normal wall plugs, we have one ground, one live and one neutral . With The power supply being on the live line, where the fuse is supposed to work as intended. In a balanced line, I've been told that the power comes via two lines...both neutral as well the live. So in case of the power surge, where the fuse blows . The supply is still on to the circuit because of the neutral line. Iam no electrical engineer to verify any of these . But during my quest for better quality power this I what I came across. So please do your due diligence and use Google. And please don't nail the messenger :D

Isolation transformers don't have that issue. It's only balanced transformers. Not daring to venture there yet :)

This is the page from Miracle Electronics describing their Balanced power transformer for audio.

I have not seen or heard one in action yet. They also manufacture power conditioners it seems (separate section on their page)
As opinion on whether this improves audio quality of music or sucks the vitality out of the music seems divided, I tried to find out more and discovered that there are devices (expensive devices) called power regenerators.
If anyone has experience with these, please share your impressions.

And all the while in the back of my mind there is this niggling thought (like a tinnitus) about what differences I expect to hear, how much I spend to try it out and whether I will like it...
This article shared many moons ago by @keith_correa expressed this well: https://test.salksound.com/wp/?p=14
... this obsession is a bit like moths to a flame?

And all the while in the back of my mind there is this niggling thought (like a tinnitus) about what differences I expect to hear, how much I spend to try it out and whether I will like it...
This article shared many moons ago by @keith_correa expressed this well: https://test.salksound.com/wp/?p=14
... this obsession is a bit like moths to a flame?
Clean power will lower noise floor drastically. What you are pursuing as music right now especially in high frequencies; you will realise it’s actually noise. bass will get clear (maybe pursued as less) and imaging improved, muddiness gone.

Get the Wharfedale EVO 4.2 3-Way Standmount Speakers at a Special Offer Price.
Back